2014 GS EVAP leak, dealer says fuel tank needs replacing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

2014 GS EVAP leak, dealer says fuel tank needs replacing

I just got the call from Dealer. Had them diagnose EVAP CEL. They say some critter chewed up evap line coming from the tank, and that line can be only replaced with whole tank!!! $1400!!!!

That does not make sense. Usually lines are not permanently attached to the tank so they can be replaced. does anyone have a picture of the top of the tank where the evap line comes out? Or any information on this? Again, it's not the tank that's an issue, but the EVAP hose.....

More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 03:51 PM
Bilko

It looks like all the pipes are replaceable if you can get to them
Attached Images

post #3 of 16 Old 07-20-2020, 04:12 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You would thing the evap hoses would be a std size, cut to length and replace. Which CEL code? There are a couple lines coming from the tank. Some of them have check valves or flow control restrictions which are often sold with hoses attached.... The fuel tank itself is a $550 part often discounted to about $350. There is a bit of labor involved as the exhaust and driveshaft have to come out. I believe the vapor and fuel hoses are fitted with quick disconnect couplers. Saves a few seconds on the assembly line.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.14.11 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.16.03 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.20.14 PM.jpg  

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 16 Old 07-21-2020, 07:14 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

I would want my head up under there to make a decision, but they are in a business of getting as much money as they can, you are in the position to spend as little as you can. So, if you have the time, find out if it is safe to drive. If they give you the run around, ask someone else. And I can't imagine any line being more than $100 to repair/replace. I used the same line to put fuel injection on my 1967 El Camino, instead of that expensive braided stuff. Repair is fully possible, but tricky getting fittings into the stiff nylon. I would replace the lines as a first option. If they use the standard quick disconnect, just make sure to use new o-rings. And clean all fitting before putting the o-ring on.
Also if you decide to do this yourself, get the right tool like the Dorman 800-301, I made my own and tried many things. And I sacrificed several fittings, but I got it done.
They also sell (I have one somewhere) a brass pipe with stepped barbs on each end that you use with clamps to connect 2 pieces of nylon fuel line. That may be all you need. And if a critter got to it, I assume it is in a place where you can see it and hopefully get to it.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-21-2020, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

I appreciate the responses, this gives me some hope. I need to get under the car and look around. But that's gonna have to wait few days. Right now in VA it's 100 degrees (115 heat index)

I'm going to look around some, if my big head does not allow me to take a closer look I'm gonna use the flexible endoscope inspection cam

CEL's are P455 and P456.
Stealership said it's the line that's going from fuel tank is chewed up, so I assume it's the one that attaches to the charcoal filter. I looked in the wheel well before, and replaced the Leak Detection Pump (It was easy, cheap, and frequently it was reported as the culprit for those CEL's) Well, that wasn't it. While there i cleaned the fittings with silicone spray. I tested the purge valve, and it was working fine, so I had to take it to the dealer to get them to diagnose it.

Cold Case, are those screenshots from the www? Can you post a link to it please?

CEL should not cause any drivibility issues, only remote start does not work. I only smelled some gas vapor couple of ties in last few months, so I think I have time and can give it a shot.

post #6 of 16 Old 07-21-2020, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

They make it look and sound easy here... Can't find any details about removing fuel tank....

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/pdf/2014_WK2...stallation.pdf

post #7 of 16 Old 07-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

I'd be curious to see the damage caused by the "critter". If it can happen to you, it can happen to a lot of other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
I just got the call from Dealer. Had them diagnose EVAP CEL. They say some critter chewed up evap line coming from the tank, and that line can be only replaced with whole tank!!! $1400!!!!

That does not make sense. Usually lines are not permanently attached to the tank so they can be replaced. does anyone have a picture of the top of the tank where the evap line comes out? Or any information on this? Again, it's not the tank that's an issue, but the EVAP hose.....

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-21-2020, 04:12 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Those parts list are from the online MOPAR parts catalog. You can find them at forum sponsor moparonlineparts.com. and just about anywhere they sell OEM parts.

Another source of photos are the new and used parts listing on ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if you find a used tank there with a bunch of photos.

The tank is heavy when full of fuel, so run it down to near empty before working on it. You can drop the tank an inch or two by loosening 4 or maybe 6 mounting bolts.

Otherwise you remove the exhaust and drive shaft, drop the tank down enough to disconnect things. There have been a couple threads here discussing fuel pump replacement that also involves removing the tank. If you don't find one by the time I get back, I'll take a look.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-22-2020, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Jeep View Post
I'd be curious to see the damage caused by the "critter". If it can happen to you, it can happen to a lot of other people.
I'll post a picture and what solution I'll go with. Like I said, it might be few weeks though. It's silly hot out there

I guess jeep must be tastier, since the critter picked it, over my 16 years old daily driver Altima parked next to it

post #10 of 16 Old 07-22-2020, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Those parts list are from the online MOPAR parts catalog. You can find them at forum sponsor moparonlineparts.com. and just about anywhere they sell OEM parts.

Another source of photos are the new and used parts listing on ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if you find a used tank there with a bunch of photos.

The tank is heavy when full of fuel, so run it down to near empty before working on it. You can drop the tank an inch or two by loosening 4 or maybe 6 mounting bolts.

Otherwise you remove the exhaust and drive shaft, drop the tank down enough to disconnect things. There have been a couple threads here discussing fuel pump replacement that also involves removing the tank. If you don't find one by the time I get back, I'll take a look.
I'm looking around as I write this. Another thing, I think I'm at 3/4 fuel tank now, and working from home. Last 4 months I rode my MTB more than we drove both cars combined Need to think of a road trip

post #11 of 16 Old 07-22-2020, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

Dealer says "Hose from gas tank chewed by rodents"
I would guess it's a hose that goes from tank to charcoal filter, so it probably connects at point A or B on in the attached picture.
I wonder if it could be one of the hoses coming from far corners of the tank to the T connection in the middle. I guess I really need to look in there. But at least I have general idea how it all looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Tank.jpg  

post #12 of 16 Old 07-22-2020, 08:05 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some auto or homeowner insurances cover damage due to Rodents.

Those things on the corners are vents with check valves with vapor hoses attached. I thought they were available separately, but I don't see them listed clearly on the parts list. Dunno if someone like Dorman makes parts or a repair kit. Or if its listed under generic vapor hoses.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-22-2020, 10:30 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Take it to a reputable independent shop in your area and have them give you an estimate.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-23-2020, 09:53 PM
magik235

1971 CJ5 

It is still a fairly new vehicle but maybe you should consider cutting an access hole. I have made several on various vehicles over the years.

1971 Jeep CJ5 - 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited - 2011 Jeep Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #15 of 16 Old 07-24-2020, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik235 View Post
It is still a fairly new vehicle but maybe you should consider cutting an access hole. I have made several on various vehicles over the years.
Access hole?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in