2014 GC V6 - drivetrain service - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2021, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

2014 GC V6 - drivetrain service

Iíve been looking into the drivetrain service. It was done before. I did rear diff. Someone did front and transfer case. But have no record of what was used etc. I have some confusing results researching it so just wanted to confirm.

1. Transfer case
Use 2qt (fill till full) of
Automatic Transmission FluidMoparģ ATF +4, type 9602.
p/n 05013457AA (1 quart)
p/n 05013458AA (1 gallon)Drain/Fill plug torque: 15-25 ft.-Lbs.

Found a gallon on Amazon. No problem. Easy.

2. Diffs
Use 1.2 and 1.3 (fill till full) of
Moparģ Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-85
Mopar p/n 05136035AA

This one is confusing. I googled that part number and Amazon has it for $666 a qt 😂
Iím guessing itís a old part number and someone said if you really want it you gonna pay what I ask 😏

I also found this: 68210057AB. Itd same but GL-5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VMTHSXK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Is that correct replacement?

3. Transmission. 8 spd. Sealed for life. But. Thatís a life of warranty. Not life of a vehicle IMHO.
Am I right? should I change the fluid? I know itís not very easy and itís expensive even to DIY.

Just curious about this one. Car has about 80k m8les. No issues. Just wanna avoid them

More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2021, 06:11 PM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Transfer case: Correct. You can also use any licensed ATF+4, most of which are about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the Mopar stuff for the exact same performance.

Diffs: You're on your own there. Jeep simply specifies "MOPARģ GL-5 Synthetic Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-85," which they've offered under several container styles and part numbers. Your quantities are correct. The 6-series part number should be newer. You can use a 75W140 GL-5 here at a cost to fuel economy, but there are also a few aftermarket 75W85/75W90 GL-5s available today.

Transmission: Possibly worth doing at some point if you plan to keep it long-term. ZF has a recommended service interval of 100,000 km for these transmissions in Europe (though how applicable that is to US driving patterns is debatable). Given the pain of doing it, I'd probably just have a dealer do it assuming yours is competent. (That's my plan.)

2014 WK2 Laredo 4x4 3.6L
2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2021, 06:51 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are two transfer cases, each with a different recommendation. The MP3023 uses with QTII (low range, select terrain) uses ATF+4 (2 quarts of PN 05013457AA). The base MP2010 uses ATF approved to MB 236.10, MB 236.12, such as Shell ATF 3403/M-115, Fuchs/Shell ATF 3353, or equivalent (1.1 pints of 05127382AA).

Change oils per owners manual, more often if you do a fording or are driving in a lot of dust. For routine use, transfer case is 120,000 miles or 12 years. Diffs and transmissions don't need to be touched.

If you want to avoid issues, don't even think about the transmission until you reach 130,000 miles and then only drain and fill. There are a lot of these on the road with lifetime warranties, unlimited time and mileage. There is much more of a chance hurting the transmission by unnecessary oil changes than just leaving it alone.

For HD use, thats a different story and every situation is different.

If you have the larger 230 rear diff, it will take 1.4 or 1.5 quarts depending on cast iron or aluminum. If you have the QD ELSD, there is a modifier additive.

Refill capacities are nominal, your mileage may varry.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2021, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

I just wrote this long reply and it got lost. Browser logged me off ����*♂️

Anyways. Thanks for chiming in. I have a 3023 transfer case. I might as well replace the oil since both manuals I have access to call for inspection every 30k. Fresh oil should be good.

Axles. Manual calls for inspection every 20k. Jeepspecs.com calls for replacement every 36k. Mopar gl-5 75w85 seem to be similarly priced as aftermarket on Amazon.

And tranny. I’ll leave it alone for now. We have easy driving around here.
Thanks again for opinions.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-19-2021, 04:15 PM
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

For the transfer case and differentials, I put in Ravenol. For the differentials, I used their 75w85 gear oil. Working great.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2021, 04:59 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

When they say specify inspection, that is a visual look see for any wetness (oil leaks). If there is wetness, check the oil level.

Jeepspec's opinion assumes you are off roading and driving through mud and water holes. For a daily driver, and using current synthetic lube, its old school and unnecessary.

Some enjoy tinkering and changing oils often, however. Its a Jeep thing.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #7 of 7 Old 09-20-2021, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
scoobiemario
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
When they say specify inspection, that is a visual look see for any wetness (oil leaks). If there is wetness, check the oil level.

Jeepspec's opinion assumes you are off roading and driving through mud and water holes. For a daily driver, and using current synthetic lube, its old school and unnecessary.

Some enjoy tinkering and changing oils often, however. Its a Jeep thing.
Thatís good to know.
No leaks on mine. And it has easy life.

I like tinkering. But I can easily find something better to screw with

Just out of curiosity, are Jeepís your hobby? Or have some professional relation with the brand?
Iíve noticed you always have a lot of good tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in