2014 GC Summit front bumper facia removal? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

2014 GC Summit front bumper facia removal?

Ok, I have seen lots of videos but To me the way the facia/cover attaches to the wheel well looks different. Has anyone taken it off and are there any tricks?

Here are some pics of the driver side. Some were taken using a mirror to see the backside. If there is a torx screw head in the pic, it was removed and doesnt make any difference and it is not attached to the bumper facia anyhow as it is located above the seam, toward the driver.

Attached Thumbnails
08DF6C71-3B10-4AEA-AB58-115F7F64E473.jpg   04CCAFB4-F5CA-4139-BE45-70BE9FCFE2A9.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

More photos

More photos of front bumper cover/facia on drivers side.

The black plastic piece with ribs starts from the top of the facia/cover and goes down to the bottom of the facia where it is held by a metal clip. I removed the metal clip and the piece is loose but somehow attached/connected behind the black plastic square that the 10mm bolt goes into.
Attached Thumbnails
50718E28-85BC-439B-8908-0ABCD0F46B89.jpg   6477BE38-0D3C-4D39-91A2-A9524EE6492F.jpg   C2C391B5-0518-43E7-841C-5AD3A58677EE.jpg   E5F0AD59-3552-4AF2-B30F-6CA9B6759931.jpg  
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2019, 08:43 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Perhaps the Summit is different, but this is from the facia removal PDF indexed in the modification sticky thread. That PDF also includes a SRT procedure, which may be more like a Summit's facia. There are extra support brackets and the belly pan gets removed. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...stallation.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 10.40.13 AM.jpg  

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Thanks. I saw those diagrams and instructions and numerous videos. I also googled many times and came across someone else who ran into the same situation a few years ago and someone replied that the Summits are different and said the upper fender trim needs to be pulled out enough to release the black plastic I tab from the two white upper trim tabs. The original poster never posted a follow-up so I dont know where he ended up. Since he had only a few posts on some forum and they were already a few years old I figured it would be fruitless to ask.

I have pulled the upper trim out so those white tabs are no longer engaged with the I tab but that doesnt seem to release the black plastic piece enough to allow removal.

The black plastic piece runs from the upper facia trim to the lower. The 10mm bolt goes thru the wheel well liner, thru that black plastic piece and into the threads.

The wheel well liner attaches to the black plastic piece by two push pin rivets. The bottom end of that plastic piece is attached to the lower part of the facia by a metal clip, and I had all the clips, pins and bolt removed. That long black plastic piece goes behind the square type plastic block which the 10 mm bolt goes into and is pretty loose though I cant seem to remove it even with the upper fender trim piece (white tabs which snap over the “I” black plastic piece I tried to remove.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

This is a different post and provides a bit more info on the summit.
I posted on the ********** asking for clarification on removal of that piece.

Here is what the poster from another forum said:
• 2 months ago
I have removed the front bumper a couple of times on my 2015 Summit...
You need to take out a small plastic piece that holds the front part of the inner fender rivets and the screw above those rivets. If you loosen the rivets and screw you can reach inside and twist out that plastic piece that also is snapped in at the top. It’s a bit difficult so be patient
After that its yust to remove the rest of the fasteners at the top and bottom of the bumper and pull it out the same way as on the ”non summits”
You don’t need to touch the fender flares..
post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Anyone familiar with that black plastic piece and how to remove it to disconnect the front facia from the quarter panel?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in