Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2014 GC Limited bottoming out

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  wifesjeep2014 
#1 ·
In April, at around 85k miles, one of the rear air shocks went out. Instead of replacing a single shock for $500, we went with a Rough Country 2.5" lift with N3 shocks. It's been great until yesterday, the front end started "bottoming out". Not sure that's what's happening, but it is slamming down hard over minimal road humps and slow speed bumps.

I've contacted RC to see if they have any ideas what it might be. Anyone here have or know of something similar happening with a lift? Any suggestions on what I should look for?

TIA

#2 ·
Is it slamming hard on the bump stop or has something come loose and it is banging?

#4 ·
Rough Country shocks have a poor record, many leak and fail within 3 months. There have been a few discussions about it here. Consensus seems to be RC spring lifts are not worth the cost savings, use OME or ICON.

Reactions: diverscale
#6 ·
What ColdCase said. Rough Country's shocks have been absolute garbage for the entirety of their existence. Their hard parts have varied in quality and danger over the years, but the shocks have consistently been completely worthless.

#7 ·
Can you clarify, are you saying your vehicle bottoms out whilst driving on regular roads? Even if the dampers are shot, it's unlikely you would bottom out unless your springs are broken, the ride may get bouncy but should not be hitting the bump stops, I have never seen this on a WK2.

Maybe go back to stock struts?

#8 ·
He's going over a speed bump, and on the down side he is hearing a bang as it slams into the pavement. If there is nothing loose (strut mounts, spare tire not tied down), that is usually a shock not absorbing shocks. He says it was fine three months ago.

#10 ·
I was distracted by the thread heading, this is not bottoming out it is undamped extension and yes it means the struts with no oil in them are the most likely cause. Even so the stock struts do have rubber or springs inside to prevent clanking on full extension, perhaps RC forgot to put these in or tried to save a few bucks?

#9 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. This is my first RC experience with Jeep stuff. In the past, I haven't had any issues with their GM stuff.

I didn't even think to look at rock auto for a replacement after being told it was a dealer only part. Not sure why - I order everything else from them.

And yes, as the front of the vehicle rebounds, it slams down hard. They only thing I can guess after crawling around and yanking on everything is a bad strut. End links are good (replaced in 2018) top mounts aren't broken/loose...I'll be able to get it up on a lift Friday.

#11 ·
I have experienced internal failures of aftermarket shocks (not RC) which cause the them to basically lock up instead of dampening bumps. I cut one open to investigate the problem and found a small plastic part had disintegrated and plugged the valving inside the shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.