2013 grand cherokee laredo v6 ac clutch? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdCase

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
slickwicked

2013 grand cherokee laredo v6 ac clutch?

HI

i am trying to find info on replacing the ac clutch on a 2013 grand cherokee laredo v6

when ac engages it makes a ratlling kinda noise when its on, i looked this up before and thought i found info here but now i cant find any info on it
car only has 36k miles on it

any help would be appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 02:47 PM
DRKRED12

Did you try Google search. Sometimes it will bring up this website if it has been discussed before.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah there are search ideas in the FAQ and new member sticky thread. I recall the subject being discussed here now and then but not the detail. If no one jumps in here by the time i get back I’ll try to find something, but that may be over a week from know.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
slickwicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah there are search ideas in the FAQ and new member sticky thread. I recall the subject being discussed here now and then but not the detail. If no one jumps in here by the time i get back Iíll try to find something, but that may be over a week from know.

yeah i cant find anything regarding this, its weird cuz it came up easily awhile ago, and i cant find any ac clutches to but without the compressor thanks
post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2020, 10:22 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I plugged AC and clutch into a search engine

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Ajee...ch&t=h_&ia=web.

And came up with a bunch of threads, none of which seems to be all that useful for your situation. I’ll have to dig out the service manual. If I recall correctly it had a std type clutch mount, but off hand I don’t recall if there was model year differences.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2020, 07:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Remove the belt. You may have to remove the compressor. There are variation of where the wiring connects and is routed so take note and be careful with the wires.

Remove the bolt in the center of the clutch (they say a band style oil filter wrench or strap wrench can be used to hold the clutch plate from rotating).

Do not pry. Do not lose the clutch shims.

Tap the clutch plate with a plastic mallet to release it from the splines and remove it and the shims.

Remove the snap ring that secures the pulley and bearing assembly and remove it. If the bearing is noisy you may have found the problem.

Remove the snap ring that secures the A/C clutch coil and remove the coil..

When putting it back together, use new snap rings. Us a wooden bloc when taping the pulley/bearing on and be careful not to mar the friction surface. If you are using a new pulley/bearing, there are shim adjustments. The shaft bolt is tightened to 168 in lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 9.37.53 AM.jpg  
BigTizzie likes this.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-15-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
slickwicked

Quote:
Remove the belt. You may have to remove the compressor. There are variation of where the wiring connects and is routed so take note and be careful with the wires.

Remove the bolt in the center of the clutch (they say a band style oil filter wrench or strap wrench can be used to hold the clutch plate from rotating).

Do not pry. Do not lose the clutch shims.

Tap the clutch plate with a plastic mallet to release it from the splines and remove it and the shims.

Remove the snap ring that secures the pulley and bearing assembly and remove it. If the bearing is noisy you may have found the problem.

Remove the snap ring that secures the A/C clutch coil and remove the coil..

When putting it back together, use new snap rings. Us a wooden bloc when taping the pulley/bearing on and be careful not to mar the friction surface. If you are using a new pulley/bearing, there are shim adjustments. The shaft bolt is tightened to 168 in lbs.
hey this is great thanks for the info, i cant find the clutch anywhere to buy, also theres a weird smell on that side of the engine, i assume its the clutch but i was reading somewhere these years grandcherokee had some electrical part that would smell funny but i can find that either lol
thanks again appreciate it
post #8 of 12 Old 07-15-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
slickwicked

i was thinking, the ac cools very well, if the clutch or compressor are rattling wouldnt there be a performance degradation?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-15-2020, 10:16 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

How's the belt tension, is the tensioner rattling, or belt slipping? Any coolant on the belt?

post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
slickwicked

Quote:
How's the belt tension, is the tensioner rattling, or belt slipping? Any coolant on the belt?

ill check on it, it only has 35k on it, it didnt start making this noise until we had the condensor?(the heat exchanger inside) inside the car it was leaking, so they had to take the whole dash apart, when we got it back it had that rattle sound, we said it didnt sound like that and the dealer said it was normal, but now im thinking they screwed something up, i think they replaced the ac drier too, ill check the tensioner thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 07-16-2020, 08:16 PM
diverscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwicked View Post
ill check on it, it only has 35k on it, it didnt start making this noise until we had the condensor?(the heat exchanger inside) inside the car it was leaking, so they had to take the whole dash apart, when we got it back it had that rattle sound, we said it didnt sound like that and the dealer said it was normal, but now im thinking they screwed something up, i think they replaced the ac drier too, ill check the tensioner thanks
Look with a flashlight and see if the clutch engages well and if it turns same speed as compressor. I doubt it's the clutch. And mine is new and also does some rattling when on, checked on another jeep and it did the same, seems normal, but more noisy than other AC cars I have had.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2020, 08:32 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Take the belt off and spin the clutch. See if there is drag or bad bearing etc.

Same with the compressor. Use 12V battery to engage clutch and turn by hand.

Figure out what the rattling is. Clutch can wear. Special tools needed to change it.

Youtube is your friend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in