2013 GC Overland 4wd Issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Blueh

2013 GC Overland 4wd Issues

Hello everyone, looking for some guidance on an odd issue that came up today. 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland V6 with 95k miles. All good yesterday. Today my wife cleaned the interior and when I cranked it up after the cleaning several things happened. The 4wd Service light is illuminated, the traction control is off and can't be turned back on, the hill assist is engaged, the vehicle is in 4wd (likely low) and doesn't respond when the 4lo button is pushed, the system does not respond when the terrain knob is changed, and no indicator lights illuminate on the terrain knob to indicate what mode it is in. The ride height buttons do illuminate and the air system does work. I assume the cleaning and all the button pushing may have caused this but I can't rule out dumb luck. My Wife acknowledges that she did push all the buttons and spun the terrain knob while the ignition was in the "on" position (listening to the radio) but the engine was not running. I have read about GC's getting stuck in 4low but not with all these other issues. Battery is showing 12.4 volts and is disconnected tonight to hopefully clear up any craziness that occurred in the computer. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BH,
Durham, NC
2013 Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

When you say on, was that the ACC position or full ignition on?

Sounds like she got it into 4Low and its now stuck there (rotating the knob to rock position will engage 4Low). The traction control lamp usually illuminates in this situation. Is the 4WD Low indicator also illuminated?

The select terrain control would be non-responsive in one of the controller failure modes. The controller can be damaged by a stuck shift motor or shift rail. Did she hear clicking during or after rotating the knob?.

I think the transmission has to be in neutral for the 4Low button to respond.

"With the vehicle at speeds of 0 to 3 mph (0 to 5 km/h), the ignition switch in the ON position or the engine running, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL, and press the “4WD LOW” button once on the transfer case switch. The “4WD LOW” indicator light in the instrument cluster will flash and go out when the shift is complete.

Shifting into or out of 4WD LOW is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating clutch teeth not being prop- erly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling 0 to 3 mph (0 to 5 km/h). If the vehicle is moving faster than 3 mph (5 km/h), the transfer case will not allow the shift."

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 21 Old 05-24-2020, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Blueh

Thanks ColdCase for the reply. I'm not sure which position she had the ignition on, it's a push button and she wasn't really paying attention. All of what you said makes sense. I think she rotated the knob to rock mode which put it in 4Lo, engaged the hill assist, and disabled the traction control. Then something went wrong and it is stuck in that mode. I have read a lot of reports of GC's getting stuck in low so perhaps the issue just happened after being inadvertently put in rock mode. I am guessing this is a dealer fix vs. my regular mechanic and that terrifies me!

post #4 of 21 Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 AM
Chuckmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueh View Post
... Today my wife cleaned the interior ...

BH,
Durham, NC
2013 Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4x4
Any chance she got all those controls wet??
post #5 of 21 Old 05-24-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Blueh

Chuckmiller, absolutely a possibility. That was my first thought. She says she didn't spray cleaner directly on the controls, just on the paper towel and then wipe down. What is interesting is the lack of any indicator light on the selector knob which may look like that component shorted out. I checked all the fuses in the event one burned out but nothing looked amiss. However I was not able to determine which fuse is associated with the 4wd system or specifically the selector knob.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-24-2020, 09:07 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The switch lights up the indicators base on commands it receives from the traction computer via the instrument cluster data bus. A bad control module won’t light up the indicators regardless. Control modules can burn out as a result of a sticky transfer case motor or shift rail.

If you can get ahold of an OBD scanner that can read all body modules, it may save some wheel spinning.

Both the control module and switch are easy to replace, a stuck transfer case is a bigger job.

There are a lot of these WK2s on the road and you may find a mechanic that can work on them, especially at a transmission shop.

When you select low range, the traction control light will normally go on because the computer disables some of it. She did not have to do anything to disable traction control.

post #7 of 21 Old 05-24-2020, 09:15 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

When I get a chance later, I’ll try to see how the switch is powered. But if some of it is working i would think its not a power problem.

I forget, Have you tried to start and move the Jeep? Sometimes moving it will loosen up a stuck shift rail.

post #8 of 21 Old 05-27-2020, 03:04 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueh View Post
Thanks ColdCase for the reply. I'm not sure which position she had the ignition on, it's a push button and she wasn't really paying attention. All of what you said makes sense. I think she rotated the knob to rock mode which put it in 4Lo, engaged the hill assist, and disabled the traction control. Then something went wrong and it is stuck in that mode. I have read a lot of reports of GC's getting stuck in low so perhaps the issue just happened after being inadvertently put in rock mode. I am guessing this is a dealer fix vs. my regular mechanic and that terrifies me!
Hi Blueh,
We're sorry to hear about this. If you need any assistance while working with your dealer, please feel free to send us a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares
post #9 of 21 Old 05-27-2020, 04:35 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Looks like the switch is powered by M20, along with some other stuff. The WHT/DK GRN LIN wire is connected to the cluster.
Attached Images

post #10 of 21 Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Blueh

Thanks everyone. Some more details to add to the story. Took the vehicle to my independent mechanic. When I started it to drive it on to the rollback, the terrain selector was illuminated as normal and I was able to adjust it through all modes and everything responded as it should. Got to the shop and it was again stuck. The mechanic "performed reset to all module parameters" and everything was fine. Drove it home, ran a few errands, and the next day it was back to being locked in 4wd low and not responsive to the terrain selector. One thing I failed to mention that the mechanic noted. The day before all this happened, we got a flat tire and installed the spare which is a slightly different size. They thought this may be throwing the computer out of whack. He said if the issue comes back (which it did) the Final Drive Module will need replacing. Any thoughts on the slightly different tire size being the issue and if the Final Drive Module could be the culprit.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

A OEM spare is a different size but not a different diameter, would not cause it to spontaneously switch to 4Low. Even if way off its not going to switch modes. You may have a different driving feel and there would be some extra wear in the transfercase, but put the right diameter tire on it and it would work fine.

What are the indication you see/feel that makes you thing the Jeep is in 4Low (does it drive different).

There is a traction control module that controls the transfer case but that should not be spontaneously be shifting, but it could.

I would be more inclined to think the selector switch assembly is guncked up (or still wet) and its telling the controller to shift to rock mode or 4Low. Both the selector switch and controller are easy to replace, some difference in parts cost I would think.

post #12 of 21 Old 05-30-2020, 07:22 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

For grins, you could try a blow dryer on the switch and see if it dries out enough to be reliable.

post #13 of 21 Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Blueh

Thank Coldcase. I think it is in 4Low based on how it feels when put in to gear and when turning. It just has that feel, pretty positive it is in low. Also the hill assist locks in when it is acting up so I think it's going in to rock mode which sounds like it goes in to low. Maybe I will try replacing the selector switch first as it is the lowest cost component.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-31-2020, 07:49 PM
ExAziz
2011 WK 

I have the same problem in my 2011 GC . I tried everything I could find on the internet , but could not get it out of 4low
post #15 of 21 Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Blueh

ExAziz, what have you tried and what are your next steps? All I have done is check all fuses, unplug the battery for 16 hours and retry, and had my Mechanic clear the codes and "reset the parameters" (whatever that means). Are you still stuck in 4low?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in