2012 WK Coolant Woes - Advice needed - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bilko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
superheady
2009 XK Commander 

2012 WK Coolant Woes - Advice needed

I posted this in another thread, but realized I need my own thread to address several issues.

So, I have a 2012 WK2 Limited with the Hemi. We purchased this car back in October, it had a bad tick, so, the dealer I bought it from had the majority of the top end of the motor rebuilt (all new lifters, resurfaced heads, manifolds, some other stuff Im forgetting). There is still a slight tick, likely exhaust.. Ugh.

Anyway, yesterday I drove 3+ from Boston in snow/ice/rain with no issues, got home, let it sit. Then, last night under normal driving conditions and not very cold weather the CEL popped on. I checked the code on my Torque Pro app, I have "Pending Fault" of P0128, but under that I also have stored P0128 and P0201 (Injector Circuit - cylinder 1).

I checked my coolant temp on the EVIC and it was reading 178˚ after being driven around. My wife said she noticed no difference other than the light.

My question is, are these P0128 and P0201 related in any way? I recently had the 2nd round of recall done to address my fuel pump relay (due to stalls), could that have an effect on the injector circuit? I cant see any evidence of coolant leakage, however, I was in very cold weather the other day and the engine was a little steamy under the hood when I stopped, but it was like -10˚ outside.

Had time to take a look at things today, I am certainly not low on coolant, but it is filthy. And, Im no rocket surgeon, but I am pretty sure this is not HOAT coolant which my vehicle calls for.

Does this muddiness mean oil is in the coolant? Is it a coincidence my Tstat just stopped working? Is my Jeep going to require even more love than I've had to give it? Did I buy a lemon or what?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Attached Thumbnails
20200212_152911.jpg   20200212_152916.jpg   20200212_152838.jpg  

Stay Heady My Friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Bilko

Have you checked you oil? is that clean with no water contamination? If you have water in the oil that is a bad sign:-(

I doubt the two are related unless the dealer really messed up the head work, possible but if you are not losing oil or water you should be OK.

P0128 is slow warm up and is almost always caused by an failed thermostat which is an easy fix. I would flush you cooling system and refill with the correct coolant, 2012 models use HOAT but they changed it on later model years. I don't know what happens if you mix them but that gunge maybe the result.
BigTizzie likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
superheady
2009 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Have you checked you oil? is that clean with no water contamination? If you have water in the oil that is a bad sign:-(

I doubt the two are related unless the dealer really messed up the head work, possible but if you are not losing oil or water you should be OK.

P0128 is slow warm up and is almost always caused by an failed thermostat which is an easy fix. I would flush you cooling system and refill with the correct coolant, 2012 models use HOAT but they changed it on later model years. I don't know what happens if you mix them but that gunge maybe the result.
Thanks for the response. Yes, 2012 is HOAT I believe they switched to OAT for 2013. This green is clearly your standard Prestone antifreeze though. Not always a bad thing if you have always run it this way, the problem is I know nothing of this Jeep's history (140k miles).

Thinks Im going to do a serious flush and change the tstat, then cross my fingers...

Stay Heady My Friends

post #4 of 9 Old 02-13-2020, 09:05 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Maybe the last service people cheaped it out and didn't flush the system?

Yeah you can send an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis. They can tell you what the dealio is. I used them when I got my 2011 last year. Oil tested great!

I'd flush the coolant with new and keep an eye on it. I just used Prestone yellow universal.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...1d1awlvmw))%2f
post #5 of 9 Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheady View Post
I posted this in another thread, but realized I need my own thread to address several issues.

So, I have a 2012 WK2 Limited with the Hemi. We purchased this car back in October, it had a bad tick, so, the dealer I bought it from had the majority of the top end of the motor rebuilt (all new lifters, resurfaced heads, manifolds, some other stuff Im forgetting). There is still a slight tick, likely exhaust.. Ugh.

Anyway, yesterday I drove 3+ from Boston in snow/ice/rain with no issues, got home, let it sit. Then, last night under normal driving conditions and not very cold weather the CEL popped on. I checked the code on my Torque Pro app, I have "Pending Fault" of P0128, but under that I also have stored P0128 and P0201 (Injector Circuit - cylinder 1).

I checked my coolant temp on the EVIC and it was reading 178˚ after being driven around. My wife said she noticed no difference other than the light.

My question is, are these P0128 and P0201 related in any way? I recently had the 2nd round of recall done to address my fuel pump relay (due to stalls), could that have an effect on the injector circuit? I cant see any evidence of coolant leakage, however, I was in very cold weather the other day and the engine was a little steamy under the hood when I stopped, but it was like -10˚ outside.

Had time to take a look at things today, I am certainly not low on coolant, but it is filthy. And, Im no rocket surgeon, but I am pretty sure this is not HOAT coolant which my vehicle calls for.

Does this muddiness mean oil is in the coolant? Is it a coincidence my Tstat just stopped working? Is my Jeep going to require even more love than I've had to give it? Did I buy a lemon or what?

Thoughts? Experiences?
Hey, superheady! Have you visited the dealer in regard to this? Since they will be in the best position to assist you, we do recommend scheduling an appointment. Send us a private message if you have any questions.

Kate
JeepCares
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
superheady
2009 XK Commander 

Thank you for the recs. I got the thermostat swapped, lights are off. But, the coolant temp is much higher than before. I feel like it never exceeded 210˚ before and last night at idle it was as high as 226˚.

Im going to flush the system and try and clean it our and put new coolant in. Go from there.

Stay Heady My Friends
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Bilko

226 does seem a bit high ~210 is more normal. Did you run it long enough for the thermostat to open? ie, the temp peaked at 226? Was the radiator warm?

Did the P0201 code also clear?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
superheady
2009 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
226 does seem a bit high ~210 is more normal. Did you run it long enough for the thermostat to open? ie, the temp peaked at 226? Was the radiator warm?

Did the P0201 code also clear?
All codes cleared, but I am wondering if that was a result of clearing them. None have come back on yet.

Drove around yesterday, temp never passed 215, even at idle. So I think it's good. Really need to get to the coolant swap though, the -10˚ weather has been a challenge to get any car work done in my non-heated garage.

Stay Heady My Friends
post #9 of 9 Old 02-19-2020, 09:28 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

You might try to get one of these, it helps get the trapped air out, that might be causing your higher running temps.
Attached Thumbnails
Lisle funnel.jpg  
Attached Images

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in