2012 Tailgate latch not working (non powered tailgate) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-11-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Bilko

2012 Tailgate latch not working (non powered tailgate)

My tailgate has decided not to open, it appears to unlock and I can open the flipper glass fine but the liftgate does not open when I pull the handle.

Does anybody know if there is an easy way to open it or do I have to result to pulling off the interior trim an pulling the actuator rod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-11-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Bilko

It does look like there is a semi circular in set in the interior tailgate trim, has anybody ever removed this? Also can anybody advise if the handle is just a switch or does it have a mechanical connection to the actuator? I have never noticed because it has always just worked........until a few days before a ski trip:-(
post #3 of 11 Old 03-11-2019, 05:01 PM
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
It does look like there is a semi circular in set in the interior tailgate trim, has anybody ever removed this? Also can anybody advise if the handle is just a switch or does it have a mechanical connection to the actuator? I have never noticed because it has always just worked........until a few days before a ski trip:-(

I have the power gate, and on that when I looked, there was no mechanical link between the locking catch, and the handle... I can tell you though, that the Simi circular bit does not come off, I tried taking mine off, as I fancied that as a place to store my towrope, but just managed to brake a couple of the plastic moulded in clips, fortunatlaly, I stopped before it was too far gone, and it still stays in place.

Green 2011Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDR Limited WR2
Red over Silver 2001 LWB Terrano 2.7TDi SE+

post #4 of 11 Old 03-11-2019, 07:08 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The owners manual has these words: "If a malfunction to the liftgate latch should occur, an emergency liftgate latch release can be used to open the liftgate. The emergency liftgate latch release can be accessed through a snap-in cover located on the liftgate trim panel."

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 11 Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Bilko

Thanks for the advice, It just started working again but I am going to have a closer look at removing the access cover just in case it happens again. I'll let you know how I get on
post #6 of 11 Old 03-14-2019, 05:54 PM
LazyFerret

2011 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Thanks for the advice, It just started working again but I am going to have a closer look at removing the access cover just in case it happens again. I'll let you know how I get on

Good Luck, I did it on a very cold day, which probably did not help, and may have contributed to the clips breaking.

Green 2011Grand Cherokee 3.0 CDR Limited WR2
Red over Silver 2001 LWB Terrano 2.7TDi SE+
post #7 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 PM
danelo
2012 WK 

Could be the unlock relay. When you take the cover off you will see a small white piece of plastic on the lock mechanism. You can turn it by hand to lock and unlock the tailgate. The lock it self works by reversing polarity, there are only two wires connected to it. I checked mine by just using alligator clips and attached them to the battery. The box where the relay is located is under the hood, left hand side towards the back, about 4 inches square. There will be a couple other relays that are the same so you can test to see if swapping the relays alleviates your problem.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM
danelo
2012 WK 

Here is the location of the unlock relay.
Attached Thumbnails
liftgate.jpg  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 PM
danelo
2012 WK 

Here are the drawings for the rear lock.
Attached Thumbnails
lock 3.jpg   lock 4.jpg  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 PM
danelo
2012 WK 

Okay. My OCD is going through the roof now. I just realized that I replaced the unlock relay when my liftgate was unlocking but not locking. Hopefully the drawings will help since I am thoroughly confused at the moment. I see that the unlock relay switches to ground when not in use, so my original line of thinking of reversing polarity may or may not be correct since I remember when I checked the switch reversing the wires between the two points made the white plastic piece go back and forth between lock and unlock
post #11 of 11 Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't think the OP had an issue with locking and unlocking, but when he lifted the handle it would not open. On 2011-2013s there is a cable that runs from the handle to the latch. Sometimes the liftgate will bind up on something or a bit of debris gets caught between the tailgate and body which puts so much pressure on the latch/striker the friction is difficult to overcome (on models with a power liftgate there is a close/open cinch motor in there).

The relay either grounds or applies battery voltage to the latch's unlock driver. I'm not sure if its function is to keep the liftgate latch locked unless the Jeep is in park.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in