2012 Overland HVAC Housing Removal - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Danf916

2012 Overland HVAC Housing Removal

I have to replace the A/C Evaporator in my 2012 Overland. Will I have to totally remove the steering column assembly in order to pull the HVAC Housing?

Thanks,
Danf916

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 06:56 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You need to remove the instrument panel, which requires the steering column and instrument cluster to be removed. Looks like one heck of a job.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 5 Old 04-14-2019, 03:20 AM
macmechanic

There's a youtube video on the the procedure. You have to remove the entire dashboard in order to gain access to the HVAC housing and to be able to do that you have to first remove the center console and the steering column. The procedure instructions include......

"WARNING: Review the warnings and cautions for this system before performing the procedure. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious injury or death.

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury."

post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Danf916

Thanks ColdCase and Macmechanic! I had seen the video mentioned, which was just about the only one available on the subject pertaining to a WK2 but without any talking, it didn't give any details and looked like the entire HVAC Housing was replaced with a completely new assembly. I read one old website which mentioned loosening and only lowering the column but it didn't really say which model Jeep was being worked on.

Advice from anyone having firsthand experience replacing the Evaporator would be greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
macmechanic

Danf916, if you're planning on tackling this job yourself then the Factory Service Manual would probably be a wise investment on your part. I suspect that this JGC here has some sort of coolant leak in the heater core or associated plumbing in the passenger compartment but I am not up to tackling that job which is way down on the list of needed repairs that I can't manage to keep up with on this JGC which is easily the most problematic vehicle that I've ever had the displeasure to deal with. I would have bought the FSM myself but for the fact that it only comes in a Windows version.

https://www.techauthority.com/en-us/...=651&type=4&h=

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in