2012 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
leftoverture
2007 WK 

2012 Grand Cherokee

I came across a 2012 GC Laredo with the 3.6 and 5 speed auto. Only 20k actual miles! Clean, one owner Carfax, no accidents or issues showing. Dealer has it in the detail shop but I'm hoping to get up to see it Wednesday or Thursday this week.

I would be interested in any thoughts on this particular model year. Any known issues I should be aware of, or later model year improvements I'd be missing out on? I did note on the Carfax that the brake booster was replaced....twice....within the first 12k miles. Are there issues with the brake boosters or is this an anomaly?

I really like the older version with low miles and the price is decent, so any input is welcome.

Thanks.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 08:27 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Lots of info here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...d-wk2-4376453/

Test drive it extensively, if you like how it runs, buy it and don't look back. There were a couple recalls on the booster, may not have been a problem but the recall reported. Carfax leaves a lot to be desired.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 09:59 PM
Bilko

20K miles? whats the asking price? Is it 4WD? If you can get it at the right price it should be a great deal. Check if it has had the cylinder head recall done, if not there is a good chance you need will need this between 20-50K miles. you need to check Jeep are still covering the cost of this recall.

Test drive it and check for shifting smoothly and and check for any fluid leaks. If its a genuine 20K mile car its still got at least 100K left in it so as long as you are not looking for a high spec this could be a good purchase.

in 2012 there they offered two versions of the Laredo, I think the higher spec one was called the Laredo E, it had passive entry, bluetooth and roof rails, these are a great option because they have a few creature comforts but none of the complex options that turn older cars into money pits.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-25-2020, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
leftoverture
2007 WK 

Here's specifically what is stated in the Carfax. This is in 2015 at 7k miles:

Brake booster replaced/repaired
Alternator replaced
Fender liner replaced/repaired

Then in 2017 at 11k miles:

Fuel pump relay replaced

And finally, in June of 2018 at 12k miles:

Brake booster replaced/repaired

All the above was done by the same dealership.

There is mention of the fuel pump relay recall from November 2019 but says no fix is available yet. I do not see any mention of a cylinder head recall. Does anyone have a recall number or TSB for the cylinder head issue?

Thanks.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-25-2020, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
leftoverture
2007 WK 

I did some searching and found that FCA did issue an extended 10 year/150k mile warranty for the cylinder head issue. According to Carfax, the Jeep I'm looking at has an "in service" date of 1/6/12 so I would expect to be covered until 1/6/22. I drive a lot so by then it will have about 60k miles so I think I would be well covered for this issue.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-25-2020, 06:32 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The two brake booster things are probably recalls, first time was inspection and add guard, second one was inspect again, replace if corroded.

Since there is no fuel pump relay unless it had the relay recall was done, that may have been the replacement of the pump relay installed by the recall (a fairly common thing) or actually doing the recall.

I believe there was also an alternator recall for a few VINs, but that could also be replacing a faulty one, which is common.

The fender liner is the only thing that seems unusual.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
leftoverture
2007 WK 

Hi Cold Case - question about the fuel pump recall. The Carfax has an entry from Nov 19 saying no fix is available. Were there two recalls for the fuel pump relay? Maybe one was done and one is still open?
Thanks.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-26-2020, 02:33 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are two fuel pump recalls. The original one of years ago that installed the relay bypass. Then the second one released late last year saying there may be problems with the original relay, but they have not determined the best course of action (i.e. no fix available). As far as I know, and I haven't been watching carefully, the second one is still TBD.

Many here have had issues with the original relay and replaced it with something off the shelf at autozone. I bought one and have it in the glove box for insurance as, if you are prepared, you will never have a problem and need to use it. Over the years I've collected a garage full of parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in