2012 5.7 JGC Binding on turns and vibration (Solved) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spleef
  • 1 Post By Spleef

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

Thumbs up 2012 5.7 JGC Binding on turns and vibration (Solved)

I have been chasing down a strange vibration in my vehicle for quite some time I tried many things to narrow down the issue and have finally solved it.
I don't know how common this issue is but hopefully this will help others out who may be having similar issues.
Problem started at 70K and has been steady up to 95k where I fixed the issue.

My symptoms:
1)When turning left or right from a dead stop under light acceleration I felt a bucking or a pulsing sensation. No noise just a pulsing that was there on some days and not on others.
2)A pronounced droning and vibration under med to heavy acceleration like when going up an on ramp to a highway. seemed to increase right after each gear shift. no real noise but the shaking sometimes was bad enough to rattle the soda can in the cup holder and had a subwoofer type effect.
3)No vibration at any cruising speed that I could notice.
4)When hitting the brakes from highway speed I could feel pulsing in the brake pedal and could hear a noise very similar to bad rotors or a wheel bearing going bad.

What I tried in order:
1)New motor OEM motor mounts mount. Why? Mine were leaking some kind of oil or fluid.

Result: Didn't fix the issue but completely smoothed out the engine vibration I was used to feeling in the steering wheel at idle.
(One of my thoughts was that possibly I had a weak cylinder or a miss causing all my vibration issues, ended up not being the case.)

2)Changed transfer case fluid.(My thought here was the transfer case fluid was worn out and the clutch packs were possibly slipping)
Result: No change(As a matter of fact the original factory oil was almost as clean as the new oil) Still dosen't hurt to change it though.
While I was under there changing the transfer case I noticed a ring of grease around the rear driveshaft front CV joint the one right off the transfer case. Ok I'm on to something here.

3)Changed out the rear drive shaft:
Result: Fixed!!! all pulsing and vibration is now magically gone!!! What a relief and a sweet feeling to now drive my vehicle.

Carefully examination the front CV joint didn't really show any slop or wobble that I could notice but I decided since the grease was coming out that it wasn't money wasted if it didn't ultimately solve my issue.
I opted to call a local junk yard for a replacement shaft with 44k for $150 cant go wrong since a new OEM will run you $600 plus.

Ebay sells CV kits and carrier bearing replacements. After tearing the old shaft apart out of curiosity I learned I would only use those on the front or rear CV joints. The 2 piece drive shaft has a center CV joint and a carrier bearing if either of those are bad I wouldn't attempt to replace either of those because the CV joint cup is pressed in and the drive ball socket doesn't appear to be removable off the spline "by normal methods" and the carrier bearing looks hopelessly pressed on behind the spline.
BTW even my bad CV joint with all the spattered grease was still very well packed with lube inside.

Here is a picture of the CV Joint inner ball retainer and the nasty ground up surfaces that were causing my issue.

Attached Thumbnails
CV Front.jpg  
WK2Overland4X4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 06:42 AM
WK2Overland4X4

Thanks for the tear-down, and pics.
Did symptom 1 totally go away? I feel I have something like that, which I assume is one of the dif's sticking a bit from a stop on a tight turn. Feels to me like it "should do that" type of thing.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

Completely gone, I was starting to thing it was normal myself after it being there so long and not getting any better or worse. Thought it was just the transfer case normal aging symptoms.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 10:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Does that drive shaft have a flexible type coupler on the Diff end? Did you notice any coupler wear/deterioration? There have been a few reports of wear in that flexible coupler causing that kind of vibration. At some point they changed from a flexible disk to a CV joint. For the V8 I though it was 2014 with the tranny change.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

There isn't a flexible coupler on mine it just has 3 CV joints and a carrier bearing in a flexible rubber surround that bolts to the underside of the vehicle. All that looks to be in good shape. Carrier bearing is smooth and the rubber isn't torn at all. I tore apart all 3 CV joints and inspected the parts very carefully and only saw the issue on the one on closest to the transfer case as shown in my original post.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

This is what I have. Right side of picture is spline where the CV joint closest on the transfer case is.
I was able to get the two halves apart but good luck ever replacing any of the center part past where you see it here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0375.jpg  
WK2Overland4X4 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 11:48 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Looks like the new style V8 propeller shaft, the old style is $1200 new. Wonder if they are interchangeable. Old style had a coupler disk at the rear (left below).
Attached Images

post #8 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

Only looks like 4 bolts on the rear axel, my guess is they wont interchange.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-02-2020, 12:09 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There seems to also be some difference between with and without ELSD.

Looks like the pinion flanges are different between 2011 and 2012, well at least on some rear ends. 2011s seem to have three or four bolt pinion flanges. 2012s a mix plus the newer what is it 8 bolt? Wonder if swapping pinion flanges to the new style is practical.

Sounds like when replacing/working on early model drive shafts you need to be extra careful about getting the right part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in