2011 Overland 5.7 stalled won’t restart - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-24-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
docschops

2011 Overland 5.7 stalled won’t restart

Sitting in a drive thru today, I could feel the engine start to stumble, put it in neutral, tried to rev, and nothing. I was able to chug over into a parking space where it died and would crank but not start. Acted exactly the way it did when they had to add that goofy overlay harness for the fuel pump. Has two codes, p0171 and p0174, lean. Anyone have their overlay relay fail?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2020, 04:58 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The fuel feedback system will maintain a stoichiometric fuel/air mixture, 14.7:1, by modifying the injector pulse width according to the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) makes short term and long term fuel corrections to maintain stoichiometric fuel/air ratio for best catalytic converter efficiency. Short term fuel correction is based on upstream O2 sensor output and is designed for quick engine response. The long term fuel correction compensated for variations in the engine specifications, sensor tolerances and component aging and is designed to correct rich and lean conditions over a longer period of time.

If the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) multiplies short term compensation by long term adaptive and a certain percentage is exceeded for two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes:

RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE
O2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 RETURN CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR
MAP SENSOR
ECT SENSOR
ENGINE MECHANICAL
FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

So check fuel pressure and then exhaust system for leaks. Check the MAP sensor and ETC sensor

Some other things to consider:

•AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM - must be free from leaks.
•ENGINE VACUUM - must be at least 13 inches in neutral
•ENGINE VALVE TIMING - must be within specifications
•ENGINE COMPRESSION - must be within specifications
•ENGINE EXHAUST SYSTEM - must be free of any restrictions or leaks.
•ENGINE PCV SYSTEM - must flow freely
•TORQUE CONVERTER STALL SPEED - must be within specifications
•POWER BRAKE BOOSTER - no internal vacuum leaks
•FUEL - must be free of contamination
•FUEL INJECTOR - plugged or restricted injector; control wire not connected to correct injector

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 3 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
docschops

Thanks for all the info. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the overlay harness. I checked for shorts in the wiring, replaced fuse and I've been driving with no issues. Wondering if I should just replace the pump? I"ve never seen a pump go bad and intermittently blow a fuse, usually they shut off or quit working when they get hot, then start back up once cooled down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in