2011 differential fluid - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
billybob123

2011 WK 

2011 differential fluid

Hello
I have 2011 laredo that I believe was not offered with the elsd .
So the dealer sells the 75/85 gear oil for 63.00 per quart.
None of the auto stores sell 75/85 ( it's all 75/90 synthetic) which leads me to believe chrysler was just trying to corner the market and hope the customer just buys/services it at the dealer and doesn't bother researching to find the Amsoil and Redline fluids online.
I asked the parts dept at the dealer about 75/90 and of course they say " I wouldn't use any weight but 75/85" !
So I was wondering if it's really ok to use 75/90 ?

2) if I do buy 75/90 locally or 75/85 online its still going to be 60.00 and chrysler doesn't even recommend changing it ever ( dealer does of course) .
It is an easy change to do but you'd think if Chrysler doesnt even recommend it why not skip it ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 12:22 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There were many 2011s with ELSDs. Those 2011s built in Jan 2011 or later were overlands and summits with the V8. Before then is was a wild west with configurations.

The MOPAR gear oil is full synthetic, currently part number 5136035AD I think, and seems to be available for $45 at some sites. Jeep also says an equivalent GL5 oil can be used.

Jeeps recommends checking level every 36,000 miles or so and change it often when towing or or dusty/wet offroad or abusive conditions. For a daily driver it shouldn't need changed as there is not a lot of heat chenerated and the oil is full synthetic. How long do you intend to keep the Jeep and do you tow, do you mind gear noise, care about mpg?

There is a drain and fill plug on the diff. Open the fill plug, then the drain plug. Empty the oil, screw the drain plug back in and fill until the oil starts dripping out of the fill plug. Screw the fill plug back in and clean up.

There is a procedure with diagrams posted around here somewhere.

FCA has an oil/lube page where they describe recommended oils and fluids.

http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/...LE+LUBRICANTS/

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 04:47 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

I used mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in 75/90. Been running it for over a year and no issues.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2

post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
billybob123

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There were many 2011s with ELSDs. Those 2011s built in Jan 2011 or later were overlands and summits with the V8. Before then is was a wild west with configurations.

The MOPAR gear oil is full synthetic, currently part number 5136035AD I think, and seems to be available for $45 at some sites. Jeep also says an equivalent GL5 oil can be used.

Jeeps recommends checking level every 36,000 miles or so and change it often when towing or or dusty/wet offroad or abusive conditions. For a daily driver it shouldn't need changed as there is not a lot of heat chenerated and the oil is full synthetic. How long do you intend to keep the Jeep and do you tow, do you mind gear noise, care about mpg?

There is a drain and fill plug on the diff. Open the fill plug, then the drain plug. Empty the oil, screw the drain plug back in and fill until the oil starts dripping out of the fill plug. Screw the fill plug back in and clean up.

There is a procedure with diagrams posted around here somewhere.

FCA has an oil/lube page where they describe recommended oils and fluids.

http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/...LE+LUBRICANTS/
Coldcase
Is that the only gear oil for 2011 ? That is the one the dealer offered ( 5136035) when I called with my vin #.
63.00 per bottle X 2.5 bottles if I do both axles . Almost 200.00 dollars
I do not have 4 low . Full time 4 wheel only.
I do have about 25 days per winter at 0 fahrenheit or below as well as an additional 3 months of 10 degrees to 30 degrees.
I don't want any loss of mpg as with my tires and lift i'm getting 16-17 now in summer and 14-15 during said months.
I've had this for 5 yrs and probably keeping for long time .
I think my only option for 75/85 is amsoil or redline for 20.00 per quart . I don't know if their temp ranges are as good and some sites make you wonder who's paying them and whats the truth
:https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.co...w-85-gear-oil/

I would just buy Mopar like I did w/ TC case for 28.00 but 63.00 a quart is a complete joke. I would assume it has the modifier in it that I don't even need.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 11:56 PM
T888

I just changed my front and rear differential fluid on my 2016 Laredo 75th edition with the 3.6 PUG/with auto start. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75w 90 in both, the rear was easy, but the front was very difficult because the top fill hole is up against the oil pan thus requiring a near 90 degree angle to fill the differential. I had to use my oil suction pump to fill it, only problem was the hose was too big to insert in the hole, and I had to hold it in place while pumping with lube dripping on the hose and my hands. Next time will not be a problem as I now know to have a smaller hose/tubing on hand to use with my pump, or to insert on the easy fill container. Both differential fluids came out clear and clean at 86k miles (first time changed), the transfer case on the other hand came out looking like engine oil, very dark color. I changed it with Amsoil synthetic ATF. I wish I had changed it sooner, it is very easy to do, I will change it again on my next oil change.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 07:15 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

All axles have the same recommended synthetic gear oil, the ELSD rears need a friction modifier. If it were me I'd use any synthetic gear oil near the right weight, but only synthetic. Nothing wrong with non synthetic if you change it more often. I've seen the MOPAR gear oil on Walmart shelves now and then, but you are still talking $45 a bottle. You may want to be a bit more selective if you tow heavy or race, otherwise any synthetic gear oil works well.

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
post #7 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
billybob123

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
, do you mind gear noise, ?

/[/url]
What are you thinking ?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
billybob123

2011 WK 

I found this by a guy on these forums that only registered and commented on this site once which seemed suspicious.
He seemed be trying hard to defend OEM lubricants and was saying G5 standards dont compare to OEM.

What do you guys think ?

"modern gear oils like 75w-80 and 75w-85 are not similar to traditional gear oils. The new oils cost more because they far exceed the GL-5 test specification for wear protection. They use calcium and magnesium compound additives for wear resistance instead of the phosphorus and sulfur compounds used in traditional gear oils. The difference in weight between the 75w-85 and 75w-90 is not significant and would not cause an issue if that were the only factor to consider. The difference in additive packages and potentially even the base oils themselves are the real reason to use genuine mopar product in this case. Also consider that the axels are aluminum not iron which may have an impact on the types of anticorrosive additives used in the genuine product vs the generic. You can read more about the GL ratings and look at the basic contents of the mopar oil below. For myself I have chosen to stick with the expensive Mopar oil because it is a more advanced product that has more advantages than just improved fuel economy. I'm sure you could run traditional oil for many years with no issues but you can make the decision yourself. It's hard to go wrong when following OEM guidelines ".
post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 01:04 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
What are you thinking ?
If you get too far off from the recommended oil, the diff gears may whine about it.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Bilko

Do you actually need to change the oil? the diffs look like the same ZF ones on the Mercedes ML 4 matic and they claimed they were sealed for life?
post #11 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, you don't need to change the oil unless there was severe duty, but one may want to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in