2011 5.7 limp mode(only 4th gear) with fans in high speed - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdCase
  • 1 Post By ColdCase

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
janusz123

2011 5.7 limp mode(only 4th gear) with fans in high speed

Hi, I am owner of Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011 5.7 Limited 4x4. I am dealing with one issue: when i turn it on, Jeep sometimes starts in limp mode( only 4th gear) but sometimes it is everything ok and drives perfectly until i turn it off and turn on again (no difference if engine is hot or cold, it just sometimes happened, sometimes it is ok few times in row ,sometimes will start with limp mode multiple times).

When jeep is on limp mode also fans are turning on in high speed and I noticed that transmission temperature on jeep computer shows nothing ( when turning on without limp mode temperature shows correct value).I don’t know what causes the problem and how to fixed it, , diagnostic tool shows code P0883,

I will be grateful for any help and advices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-22-2021, 06:48 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

On the V8 of that era the Transmission Control is built into the PCM. This DTC is set if the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) senses greater than 3.0 volts on the Transmission Control Relay Output circuits prior to a request from the PCM to energize the Transmission Control Relay.

The Transmission Control Relay is used to supply power (Transmission Control Output) to the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly when in normal operating mode and to pins C4-19, C4-28 and C4-38 of the PCM. The purpose of the Transmission Control Relay is to allow the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to turn off the power to the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly in event that the transmission should need to be placed into “limp-in” mode due to a DTC.

After a PCM reset, (ignition switch turned to the run position, or after cranking engine) the PCM verifies that the Transmission Control Relay contacts are open by checking for voltage on the Transmission Control Relay Output circuit before the Transmission Control Relay is energized. If voltage is detected, the DTC will set.

Possible causes:
(T15) TRANSMISSION CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(T16) TRANSMISSION CONTROL OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORTED VOLTAGE
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Sounds like an intermittent, but the first thing I'd do do is replace the relay. If that doesn't fix, you are going to have to troubleshoot the harness and then perhaps replace the PCM.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.44.25 AM.jpg  
SKALA308 likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 3 Old 07-22-2021, 06:55 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I think, off hand, that the relay is in the TIPM and labeled PCM, K5 on the following diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.54.33 AM.jpg  
SKALA308 likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in