1st time Jeep owner 18' GC Overland - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
srivkin78
2018 WK 

1st time Jeep owner 18' GC Overland

As the title states, first time owning a Jeep or a Chrysler product for that matter. It's a long typed out story how I ended up in this one but I didn't want to bore you guys. Long story short i test drove a 19 MDX A-Spec, 19 RDX A-Spec, 2022 MDX Base, an 19' BMW X5 40e Plug in Hybrid, and looked at an 18' Audi SQ5 and a 17' Porsche Macan S. I decided that the RDX, Macan and SQ5 were just to small. The 2022 MDX base didn't have all the options I wanted(it was literally the only new car the dealer had on the entire lot) and neither did the BMW X5, and that's when i stumbled upon this CPO 18' GC Overland with 13150 miles on it while passing by a Jeep Dealership. It had everything i wanted. I couldn't believe how much i liked this car. And so now I own it as of 7/3/2021.

Ok so now the bad. Day 2(7/4) of owning it: The backup camera just stopped working the very next day. Realllylllly???? Then the dash warnings for the low battery in the key fobs...allllrrriighhhtty then. Good start Jeep. The Dealer already replaced both batteries for free and a new camera system is being installed tomorrow on 7/15 covered under the CPO warratny, but still left a bad taste in my mouth.

I also saw the radio reboot out of no where while driving the other day. lovely, what's that a sign of? It's only happened once so far.

Also, I've only filled up with gas 1 time so far(the day i bought it) it was really annoying to put in gas in the car. The pump kept stopping even though i only had a half tank of gas.

That's when i went right back to the dealer and bought the 6 year 100,000 extended warranty for a small fortune.

As much as i love this car, i have a feeling I made a huge mistake buying a Chrysler product. I guess only time will tell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 05:50 AM
Jd41wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivkin78 View Post
As the title states, first time owning a Jeep or a Chrysler product for that matter. It's a long typed out story how I ended up in this one but I didn't want to bore you guys. Long story short i test drove a 19 MDX A-Spec, 19 RDX A-Spec, 2022 MDX Base, an 19' BMW X5 40e Plug in Hybrid, and looked at an 18' Audi SQ5 and a 17' Porsche Macan S. I decided that the RDX, Macan and SQ5 were just to small. The 2022 MDX base didn't have all the options I wanted(it was literally the only new car the dealer had on the entire lot) and neither did the BMW X5, and that's when i stumbled upon this CPO 18' GC Overland with 13150 miles on it while passing by a Jeep Dealership. It had everything i wanted. I couldn't believe how much i liked this car. And so now I own it as of 7/3/2021.

Ok so now the bad. Day 2(7/4) of owning it: The backup camera just stopped working the very next day. Realllylllly???? Then the dash warnings for the low battery in the key fobs...allllrrriighhhtty then. Good start Jeep. The Dealer already replaced both batteries for free and a new camera system is being installed tomorrow on 7/15 covered under the CPO warratny, but still left a bad taste in my mouth.

I also saw the radio reboot out of no where while driving the other day. lovely, what's that a sign of? It's only happened once so far.

Also, I've only filled up with gas 1 time so far(the day i bought it) it was really annoying to put in gas in the car. The pump kept stopping even though i only had a half tank of gas.

That's when i went right back to the dealer and bought the 6 year 100,000 extended warranty for a small fortune.

As much as i love this car, i have a feeling I made a huge mistake buying a Chrysler product. I guess only time will tell.
Well let me start by defending Chrysler real quick as I'm a huge Dodge guy but not many of them do that lol but I'm sorry you're having issues with such a new car. It sounds like a software issue. They should be able to fix the rebooting issue at the dealer. The gas issue you're having could be a number of things. One thing I've noticed with mine personally is every once in a while the gas pump will keep clicking but when it does it's usually when it's raining or extremely humid for some reason. Guessing that's an evaporative system issue but it doesn't do it often enough to warrant fixing it. With such a new car it's probably unnecessary to get the extended warrantee but hey it can't hurt. I hope your experience gets a hell of a lot better than what it has been thus far.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 06:46 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Search the forums for buying the Mopar extended warranty online. Itíll probably be MUCH cheaper than what you paid at the dealership. You can cancel what you bought and buy the same thing online.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi & 2017 SRT 6.4L & 2020 Trackhawk 6.2L Supercharged

post #4 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 06:48 AM
BubbaATL
2018 WK 

The fuel filler tube problem is fixable. My service ticket lists FP number 68250911-AK, description "Tube Fuel 14086002".

2018 Limited 3.6L with pretty much everything ("almost a Trailhawk")
post #5 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 07:03 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sounds like the typical radio problem, they will have to replace the radio to fix it. Batteries do wear out, hard to blame Jeep for that. As mentioned, there is a fix for the filler tube. But if its caused by someone abusing the Jeep by forced overfilling it, there will be clogged evaporative components to also replace. There are also filling tips posted around the forum. The previous owner must have used service stations with more compatible pumps as the fix is well known. Some pumps don't like the Jeep

Hope you at least bought a MOPAR bumper to bumper warranty, and there is quite a bit of profit margin there for dealers. There are dealers that sell them at a discount.

There is a buying used sticky thread here with additional tips.

By far most WK2s have zero issues, but once in awhile there is a problem child built.

Hope you have many miles of smiles.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 07:34 AM
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
That's when i went right back to the dealer and bought the 6 year 100,000 extended warranty for a small fortune. ...
Just a quick FYI on the warranty. No reason to buy one while you are still fully covered under the CPO. The price doesn't really change when purchased while still covered. (they do generally go up over time, but not a lot, and you can shop for sales/discounts at your leisure)
Also Warranties can be "returned" at any time, and you get back a pro-rated amount based on how much of the warranty you "used" starting when the time and/or the miles on the CPO expire. So if you cancel the warranty, (for any reason, typically sell/trade in) you can get back a large portion of it (or all).
Also shop around, many online dealers sell them at pretty decent discounts compared to "as quoted" prices at most dealers. And this is for actual MOPAR MaxCare plans, zero difference, doesn't matter where it was purchased.

2021 Summit L 4X4 Bright White/Steel Gray, 3.6 , ProTech IV, Lux Tech V.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 08:29 AM
rallen88
2018 WK 

Similar to your situation, I had never owned a Chrysler product prior to getting my '18 Summit (new) - just about 3 years ago. I had read so many accounts online of problems - transmission, electronics, air suspension, and so forth. At the same time, I had heard many positive stories about the vehicle from people who have owned them. I decided to move forward - but with a lease rather than a purchase. Long story short, the lease will terminate in one month, and I just purchased it outright. It's been a fantastic car - absolutely no problems with it. Zero. Nothing. The lease purchase option on it was about $15k less than I have been seeing them advertised for online. (Fully equipped Summit with the 5.7 Hemi engine. Upgraded leather interior.)

In your situation, I would not rush to judgment about your Grand Cherokee. I think it's reasonable to expect that there will be a "sorting out" process with any used vehicle. Once you get those few items addressed, you will most likely have a great vehicle.
Jeffs3232 likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 10:28 AM
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post
Search the forums for buying the Mopar extended warranty online. Itíll probably be MUCH cheaper than what you paid at the dealership. You can cancel what you bought and buy the same thing online.
Yes, this. I saved over $1,500 off the purchase price of the exact same Mopar MaxCare extended warranty when I bought it from one of the popular online sources vs my local dealer. The OP needs to research what he can buy it for elsewhere, cancel the one he bought at his dealer and get it at the cheaper price.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 11:12 AM
JKM
2018 WK 

Fuel filling issue is known. Dealer will replace with a new filler neck/tube. I had the same issue on my 2018. Otherwise my 2018 has been flawless. Currently have about 30K kms (20K miles)

----------------------------
2005 Laredo 4x4 3.7L (SOLD)
2018 Limited 4x4 3.6L
post #10 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
srivkin78
2018 WK 

Thank everyone for all the info. I called the dealer today to let them know of the gas filling issue and the rebooting radio and they added it to the service call.

I've been a lease guy for the past 12 years specifically because I don't want to deal with issues with used cars that I didn't maintain myself. The one time I buy a car instead of leasing, right off the bat, 3 issues. It's really unreal. It could have happened with any used car i would have bought i get that. I'm not overly concerned with the issues themselves, I'm overly concerned with the dealership fixing them. I can't replicate the radio reboot issue though i wonder if it has something to do with the backup camera screen going blue when i go into reverse.

As far as the Warranty. I did a lot of research on warranties. Olive, Endurance, Carshield, Carchex, MOPAR....The MOPAR one only covers me for 3 years or until 2024 or 100k. All the others ones are a full 6 years/100k and were all priced about the same as the dealers.

The one I got from the dealer covers me from that day i bought the coverage, out to 6 years or 2027 or 100k which is why it was a lot more than the MOPAR one. I need more years in my coverage more than i need the miles as I would hit the years before I hit the miles.

Despite the problems, I still really like this car. I just really hope it doesn't fall apart on me. I've never owned a car longer than 3 years.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 02:40 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The backup camera blue screen is another symptom of the radio problem that throws it into a reboot now and then.
Bilko likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #12 of 16 Old 07-16-2021, 11:47 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

A genuine mopar extended warranty will cover up to 8 years and 125,000 miles. So you should really look again, cancel your third party warranty, and buy a genuine mopar warranty online.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi & 2017 SRT 6.4L & 2020 Trackhawk 6.2L Supercharged
post #13 of 16 Old 07-16-2021, 01:34 PM
Jeffs3232

Quote:
Thank everyone for all the info. I called the dealer today to let them know of the gas filling issue and the rebooting radio and they added it to the service call.

I've been a lease guy for the past 12 years specifically because I don't want to deal with issues with used cars that I didn't maintain myself. The one time I buy a car instead of leasing, right off the bat, 3 issues. It's really unreal. It could have happened with any used car i would have bought i get that. I'm not overly concerned with the issues themselves, I'm overly concerned with the dealership fixing them. I can't replicate the radio reboot issue though i wonder if it has something to do with the backup camera screen going blue when i go into reverse.

As far as the Warranty. I did a lot of research on warranties. Olive, Endurance, Carshield, Carchex, MOPAR....The MOPAR one only covers me for 3 years or until 2024 or 100k. All the others ones are a full 6 years/100k and were all priced about the same as the dealers.

The one I got from the dealer covers me from that day i bought the coverage, out to 6 years or 2027 or 100k which is why it was a lot more than the MOPAR one. I need more years in my coverage more than i need the miles as I would hit the years before I hit the miles.

Despite the problems, I still really like this car. I just really hope it doesn't fall apart on me. I've never owned a car longer than 3 years.
When that air suspension or something expensive goes, you'll want the MOPAR warranty vs. fighting whatever third party warranty the dealer offered. You can buy an extended warranty like factory coverage per below minus a few items, for up to 8yr/125k miles. So in this instance, you would have about 5 years or so and 112k miles based on your current arrangement.

Google Zeigler Warranties who sells the MOPAR warranty and try one of these codes that worked for me.
https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com...hoCXfUQAvD_BwE

Code "payinfull" = $365 discount. You do not have the option for 12 credit card installment payments
Code "damon" = $150 discount. You can use this and have 12 installments with 10% down
Code "damon2" = $200 discount. You can use this and have 12 installments with minimum 10% down
Code "happy" = $250 discount. You can use this and have 12 installments with minimum 10% down.

I put in your car specs and with the $350 discount above, the MOPAR 8yr/125k miles from in-service and current miles is $2,850.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
srivkin78
2018 WK 

Just an update....the back up camera was fixed. They ordered the parts to fix the gas pumping issue. They also are replacing the entire radio unit. All covered under the CPO warranty. I was worried I was going to have to fight them on these issues but it was no questions asked. I'm waiting to hear back from them when the parts come in to wrap up all these issues. But overall i reallllly like this Jeep.
Jeffs3232 likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
It gets better. I've had a few issues with my CPO Trailhawk but I've had problems with just about every make I've owned. BMW to Toyota, GM to MB, Land Rover to Honda. This is the only thing I've ever owned that I would buy again.
Bilko and srivkin78 like this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in