18 Grand Cherokee extreme amount of problems and concerns under 7300 miles - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-08-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
professordenk

18 Grand Cherokee extreme amount of problems and concerns under 7300 miles

2018 Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L V6 4x4 started LEASE 7/27/18 at 48xx miles, currently at 72xx miles.
PLEASE KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG POST. I tried to write as detailed as possible.
***This Grand Cherokee was a manager’s demo prior to my ownership. I haven’t even put 2500 miles on it yet.***
-First and foremost I want to point out that I noticed the poor design of this Grand Cherokee from the very moment I put my license plate on it during delivery day. I have a Pennsylvania license place with 4 screw holes. The Jeep only has two and the curvature of the body panel makes it so that the bottom side of the license plate swings and rattles against the paint, instead of being securely held onto the rear lift gate. Well guess who has a nice 12 inch line of scratched paint there. Yup you guessed it.
-From the very first week of my ownership I noticed movement from the transmission when shifting to reverse or drive. When the Jeep has been parked from anywhere between 10 minutes to upwards of a few days when I go to shift the Jeep from park into drive or reverse, the transmission will slam into gear with considerable force. Enough force to shake the Jeep and make a noticeable audible “banging” sound. I understand the direction of the torque is changing, but what I am experiencing is much more severe. I also understand that when the Jeep is parked on a hill/slope, the tension on the park gear will cause a noticeable “jerk” when shifted into reverse or drive. However, what I am experiencing is happening on completely flat and level surfaces. There is no difference if the transmission is cold or at operating temperature. Very rarely will this issue occur in back-to-back gear cycles. There often needs to be about one or two gear or engine cycles before the symptom will occur again. This issue has been going on constantly since I purchased the vehicle. Jeep service told me "VEHICLE TEST DRIVEN 4 MILES, NO ABNORMAL ISSUES FELT WITH TRANSMISSION. NO CODES FOUND IN SYSTEM". ***Keep in mind they only test drove it once and ignored the fact of me mentioning that this issue happens after the Jeep has sat for some time. The service department literally called me the next days saying my entire list of issues was unable to be duplicated.***
-Furthermore while driving there has been a couple times where the shift from third to fourth gear at about 20 MPH is very rough, this is while driving on a level surface as well. It felt like the engine was going to stall or that I “needed to push the clutch in to bring the RPMs back”. During the very long shift from third to fourth the Jeep felt like it was rocking back and forth trying to catch fourth gear. Note, I was not using the slapstick. Once the transmission caught fourth gear, all was fine the remainder of the commute. No lights on the dash, and fuel level was sufficient.
-I have experienced my entire entertainment system (Uconnect) go out on me. I was sitting in traffic listening to the radio when all of a sudden I heard a loud static pop from the back area of the Jeep, the radio stopped, the Uconnect screen went black, all the buttons on the center console became inoperable, and all was silent for about five minutes. Pressing the “now” black Uconnect screen (as if to wake it) did nothing. This same issue happened again for about 10-15 seconds a couple weeks later. Ever since then I have noticed static in my XM channels that was not there before this issued occurred. Both times this occurred I was driving and couldn’t pull over to shut off the Jeep and restart the engine and electronics. Not sure if that would have done anything anyway. Also to point out that I was not under any sort of building, bridge, tunnel, or any other means of a physical interference between the Jeep and the signal at that time. Jeep service told me "UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN, NO CODES FOUND".
-I’ve experienced quite a few failed remote starts with the key fob. After pressing the remote start button on the key fob, the turn signals flashed and the engine didn’t start. There were no instrument panel warning lights at the time and there was a sufficient amount of fuel in the tank. This remote start issue has also occurred when using my iPhone’s Uconnect app. Please note that these instances were my first attempt at remote starting for those days. I know that after two remote starts the third attempt will be declined. I also know that if the fuel is too low or if there is a current engine light or dashboard light, the remote start may not work. Jeep service told me "UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN, NO CODES FOUND".
-I’ve experienced many remote starts where when I enter the Jeep the steering wheel is warm but the driver seat is still ice cold even though the icon on the Uconnect screen is showing that the driver heated seat is on. Only when I went into the climate control and turned off the driver heated seat and then immediately turned it back on, did the driver seat start to warm up. This was not the first time I have had to shutoff the driver heated seat and turn it back on again for it to start heating.
-The fit and finish of the interior is really disappointing for a "luxury" SUV with a $50k+ MSRP. I have a very obtrusive rattle coming from the plastic seat cover on the left of the drivers seat. Directly under where your left thigh sits. The passenger side plastic cover is quiet. I am easily able to duplicate this sound even while driving on smooth surfaces. Jeep service told me "THIS TRIM IS NOT HELD IN TIGHT BY DESIGN, NO RATTLE HEARD". So that tells me for a $50k+ price tag I will have to drive listening to the interior rattle because Jeep designed it that way.
-I am curious to know if my Jeep has had any center console work done prior to my ownership as the entire plastic bezel around the Uconnect screen creeks and cracks to no end, very loud, and very often. Although when asked, my dealership completely ignored my question about prior interior center console work. The plastic bezels sound like they are not held together properly. Some areas feel more loose than others. Maybe there are broken plastic clips behind them. I can literally press the buttons on the center console and the plastic bezel area will make creeks and cracking noises. These sounds are very easy to duplicate just by pressing on the bezel area very lightly. The sounds are more prominent when the interior of the Jeep is warm, but even around 70F the bezel area will creek and pop loudly and very often while driving. It has become more intense, unpleasing, and unsatisfying to listen to while driving. I cannot stand to listen to interior noises, it is embarrassing to listen to. I’ve had happy meal toys that felt of better construction than the plastic in the center console. Jeep service told me "NO RATTLES HEARD ON TEST DRIVE".
-I am incredibly disappointed with the brake hardware. My calipers and rotors are showing signs of rust. Some of the calipers have a nice thick coating of rust on them. The rotors are rusting around the hub section. The driver rear caliper is the worst looking. Note: this rust was noticed only a week after I took ownership. Yes, I know steel will rust, but for an SUV that is built by a brand that is known for making vehicles capable of getting very dirty, I am shocked to see how poor this steel is. I was expecting a much more tolerant steel/alloy/galvanization. Now I would have to spend at least another $15k to have a Grand Cherokee (at least the SRT) with calipers resistant to rust since they are painted. Jeep service also told me my other calipers are starting to rust as well, not like I already didn’t know that. Just what I wanted to hear! For a trim level with a lot of exterior bells, whistles, chrome delete, blackout, etcetera the sight of rusted calipers doesn't do a whole lot of good for the looks Jeep was intending for in this trim level. Jeep service told me "THIS IS NORMAL FOR STEEL". Well no kidding, but this isn’t normal for something that is galvanized.
-For the last two weeks the engine start/stop functionality has not worked. I usually turn off this feature immediately after starting the Jeep, but I did not shut off this feature while driving two weeks ago, just forgot to do it. Even after 30 minutes of driving and the engine up to temperature, the engine remains running when I come to a complete stop. My foot is firm on the brakes and there are no lights on the dash. The heater is not on max either, and I am not on a slope/hill road. The dashboard service start/stop light has not illuminated either. This is the latest issue and the dealership hasn’t been able to check this yet.
-I am planning on getting another opinion of my long list of issues at a different dealership, since my dealership (which I leased it from) was unable to diagnose anything other than visually seeing my brake hardware rusting.
This leaves me to continue to ask the question I have alway asked myself with the three Jeeps I have owned, “Are there anymore underlying issues with this Jeep?”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordenk View Post
-First and foremost I want to point out that I noticed the poor design of this Grand Cherokee from the very moment I put my license plate on it during delivery day. I have a Pennsylvania license place with 4 screw holes. The Jeep only has two and the curvature of the body panel makes it so that the bottom side of the license plate swings and rattles against the paint, instead of being securely held onto the rear lift gate. Well guess who has a nice 12 inch line of scratched paint there. Yup you guessed it. During dealer prep they are suppose to stick on a couple rubber bumpers under where the license plate is, sounds like your dealer missed it during dealer prep which happens a lot.

-From the very first week of my ownership I noticed movement from the transmission when shifting to reverse or drive. When the Jeep has been parked from anywhere between 10 minutes to upwards of a few days when I go to shift the Jeep from park into drive or reverse, the transmission will slam into gear with considerable force. Enough force to shake the Jeep and make a noticeable audible “banging” sound. I understand the direction of the torque is changing, but what I am experiencing is much more severe. I also understand that when the Jeep is parked on a hill/slope, the tension on the park gear will cause a noticeable “jerk” when shifted into reverse or drive. However, what I am experiencing is happening on completely flat and level surfaces. There is no difference if the transmission is cold or at operating temperature. Very rarely will this issue occur in back-to-back gear cycles. There often needs to be about one or two gear or engine cycles before the symptom will occur again. This issue has been going on constantly since I purchased the vehicle. Jeep service told me "VEHICLE TEST DRIVEN 4 MILES, NO ABNORMAL ISSUES FELT WITH TRANSMISSION. NO CODES FOUND IN SYSTEM". There have been several reports of this and a couple long threads on the subject. The only way to fix this for sure is to replace the transmission. This is the main reason why we tell folks to test drive 8 speeds when cold, don't let the dealer warm them up

-Furthermore while driving there has been a couple times where the shift from third to fourth gear at about 20 MPH is very rough. Another symptom of a transmission issue.

-I’ve experienced quite a few failed remote starts with the key fob. After pressing the remote start button on the key fob, the turn signals flashed and the engine didn’t start. Pressing the remote button fast can do this, Try a one or two count between button pushes

-I am curious to know if my Jeep has had any center console work done prior to my ownership as the entire plastic bezel around the Uconnect screen creeks and cracks to no end, very loud, and very often. Sounds like they replaced the Radio once, or pulled it to troubleshoot. May explain the multitude of other issues

-I am incredibly disappointed with the brake hardware. Rust does not indicate poor metal, although it can be unsightly to some. There is damaging rust and the normal rust coating that actually protects the metal. Many here paint their calipers and hubs.

-For the last two weeks the engine start/stop functionality has not worked. There are a number of reasons for this, mostly normal. plenty of reports af this happening once in awhile.The ESS seems to have a mind of its own
You can PM member jeepcares here and ask them to help sort this out, but it kinda sounds like you have a problem child.

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by ďfor your age.Ē
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 26 Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

The good news is that it is a lease and you do not own it. I would not recommend buying this one at the end of the lease. Hopefully when the tranny goes it will not leave you stranded in a bad spot.

post #4 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 12:16 AM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Just a thought on your trans issues..... have you tried disconnecting or replacing the battery? Iíve come across several threads where people said that fixed their hard shifting issues (30 min. disconnect).

Regarding the rotor hubs: they rust. You can paint them and theyíll still usually end up rusting to some degree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 04:12 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Itís a lease. Drive it and turn it in at the end. Move on to another brand. Youíll never be happy with this Jeep.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 07:19 AM
metalhead
2011 WK 

You can buy rubber plugs to put in the bottom holes of the license plate to keep it from banging against the liftgate. Did you actually test drive this jeep before buying it? Its funny how people come on here listing all these problems with the jeep when if they did a good test drive and checked the vehicle well before buying or leasing maybe you wouldn't be stuck with a jeep full of issues.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #7 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 08:00 AM
trailhawk2614

If possible, try another dealer; especially for the radio and transmission problems. There are several service bulletins for '18s that may apply to yours for radio issues and shift quality. The key is the service department's ability to translate your description of the problem to the description on the bulletin as well as their overall competence.
Inconsistent dealer experience seems to be one of Jeep's biggest issues. That's been documented well on this forum and I can attest to it as well. We've only had one problem with our GC and when I took it to the dealer we bought it from, they kept it most of the day and gave me the "operating as designed, no codes pulled" response. Problem was intermittent so of coarse they couldn't duplicate it. Took it to another dealer and explained everything in detail and they were able to locate a code, diagnose the problem, and fix it. Good luck with yours and as mentioned before, at least its a lease so you can turn it in by the time the warranty expires.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 08:33 AM
18JGCTH

You leased a used car...
post #9 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 12:19 PM
trailhawk2614

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18JGCTH View Post
You leased a used car...
There's no excuse for a car with 7200 miles(whether leased new or used) to have these kind of problems. Even if it had been a rental for those 7200 miles(according to the OP is was the manager's demo) a car like this should not have these problems. And if it happened to be a lemon from the factory, the service department should have been able to correct the major issues.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 02:34 PM
andyo5
2018 WK 

IDK if this would be helpful, but I was once screwed buying a nearly new Toyota truck that was sold as a 'manager's demo'. A few days after the purchase, I noticed that the clear coat was peeling off the entire right side. I took it back to the selling dealer, who told to go 'F' myself and that I was the one who caused the problem, not him. Since that time, I have never again purchased a used vehicle from a dealership.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 PM
Daves2018GC4x4

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo5 View Post
IDK if this would be helpful, but I was once screwed buying a nearly new Toyota truck that was sold as a 'manager's demo'. A few days after the purchase, I noticed that the clear coat was peeling off the entire right side. I took it back to the selling dealer, who told to go 'F' myself and that I was the one who caused the problem, not him. Since that time, I have never again purchased a used vehicle from a dealership.

So what could anyone have done to cause the clearcoat to peel off a truck in a few days? Another good example of why I do not buy used cars from a dealership or an individual.

2017 BMW 330i, 2.0L Turbo
2018 GC 4x4 Ltd, 5.7L
2019 Corvette Stingray, 6.2L
post #12 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 PM
tampamark
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhawk2614 View Post
There's no excuse for a car with 7200 miles(whether leased new or used) to have these kind of problems. Even if it had been a rental for those 7200 miles(according to the OP is was the manager's demo) a car like this should not have these problems. And if it happened to be a lemon from the factory, the service department should have been able to correct the major issues.
Agreed, new/used the car is still under warranty and whether you had bought it with .5 miles or 48xx is irrelevant. It is the responsibility of Jeep to make the issues right.

2000 TJ Sahara (sold)
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit - 6 cylinder Gas
post #13 of 26 Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 PM
rallen88
2018 WK 

On 7/27/18, who signed the lease for the vehicle?
post #14 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 04:35 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

I just always find it suspicious when someone trades a car in with such few miles. Could be as benign as they just didnít like it, but makes me suspicious.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 02:04 PM
andyo5
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post
I just always find it suspicious when someone trades a car in with such few miles. Could be as benign as they just didnít like it, but makes me suspicious.
I bought my 1997 Laredo in 1998, from a Chevy dealer. It had 5,000 miles on the odometer. The dealer told me that the first owner wasn't using it to make the trips that he had planned, and decided he'd rather have a pick-up truck. I kept that Jeep until August 2014 and it was the best vehicle I have owned so far.
Bottom line...buying used from a dealer is a crap shoot. Just make sure that you have a good warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in