The Photography Questions Thread - Page 39 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #571 of 596 Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
when out doors doing shoots with models. ill see if i can find some good examples
An external will do wonders. If your camera allows you to fire an external off camera with the built in flash you have even more options. I use my external flash on camera for fill almost 100% of the time when shooting outdoors in daylight.

Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 596 Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
AlTheKillerr

like these

Mairy IV by Orestis Charalambous, on Flickr

mariage_176 by Biraud-photographie.com, on Flickr

IMG_7324 by Andreas*D, on Flickr

what kind of power should i look into?

Photographer
2000 XJ, 5" lift, 35s, Locked
post #573 of 596 Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What are shooting with?

Here's a shot I did at a mx race with my 20D / 580 EX external flash, set at high speed sync, to give fill.

reflectors work well outside too....but may require an assistant.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

post #574 of 596 Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
AlTheKillerr

im using a nikon D80

Photographer
post #575 of 596 Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
im using a nikon D80
I'm a Canon guy, but I'm pretty sure all Nikons allow the firing of the external flash off camera without having to have two external flashes.

I'd get the best Nikon external flash you can afford and give it a go.

post #576 of 596 Old 09-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Al, have you ever given this forum a look: Dgrin?

post #577 of 596 Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
AlTheKillerr

never seen it. thanks!

Photographer
post #578 of 596 Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Michaelgoesrawr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Hey Al, have you ever given this forum a look: Dgrin?
Wish I didn't see this. No hope in going to be anytime soon.

Edit: Just started reading a thread about a guy asking for tips on his first wedding. He got the crap scolded out of him for using a D40x because it wasn't professional grade. I mean, my D60 has gotten me through several weddings to date.

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #579 of 596 Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Michaelgoesrawr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm thinking of upgrading cameras when I can find a good deal on Craigs List. I have a Nikon D60 now and I want something that has a sensor better equipped for taking darker pictures. Mainly when we have cloudy nights and full moons I want to take pictures of the sky whilst getting the detail of the clouds. Would a D90 be sufficient or should I go for a D200 or D300?. There have been several good deals for each setup the last few weeks. There was a D90 with less than 8k clicks with two lenses and several other things for $600 and for some reason, D200's in good condition have been going for less than $400 quite often. I know it's an older model but it's still a good deal IMO. It won't be for a while but I thought I'd start gather information now.

post #580 of 596 Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
AlTheKillerr

bump!

Photographer
post #581 of 596 Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
njohnson412
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i am staring photo next year in school and was wanting to know what is the best camera for a reasonable price. I was thinking the EOS but am not completely sure and also what lenses should i get to start with?

Thanks!
post #582 of 596 Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Michaelgoesrawr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Any camera will be good for starters. Any DSLR will have what you need for a beginning class. Around here you can find d40 and d60's in a set for under $300. You really want lenses with low f numbers but they cost more than some cameras. Haha

post #583 of 596 Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

maybe want to not buy until you get into class.

IMHO:
You're going to need a camera body that can work with you.
You're going to need an awesome lens in the 35-50mm range.

Kinda depends on what it is you want to photograph; I am from the candid school (this is genetic, I got it from my Dad who was a photographer) ... I like my Pentax K10D because I can set it up so shoot a good frame and not have to eff with it .. because shooting candid there is no second chance.

You'll buy several cameras before you get one that clicks.

Attached: shot when I was at cooking school in Tuscany. Bad lighting (backlight and and very little light inside the kitchen), white and black dress, plus subject motion .. you see a 'kodak moment', and you have maybe a second and a half to set up the exposure and the fill flash, get the flash charged, and shoot the shot. There are still a lot of technical issues with the shot the I got, but it sold a lot of travelers on taking this cooking tour (erm, I never got any bennies for that..)

But .. you need to become one with your camera to be able to really be a photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0713sm.jpg  

2014 WK2 Overland 5.9L
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
And some past Durangos
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
post #584 of 596 Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM
njohnson412
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pf View Post
maybe want to not buy until you get into class.

IMHO:
You're going to need a camera body that can work with you.
You're going to need an awesome lens in the 35-50mm range.

Kinda depends on what it is you want to photograph; I am from the candid school (this is genetic, I got it from my Dad who was a photographer) ... I like my Pentax K10D because I can set it up so shoot a good frame and not have to eff with it .. because shooting candid there is no second chance.

You'll buy several cameras before you get one that clicks.

Attached: shot when I was at cooking school in Tuscany. Bad lighting (backlight and and very little light inside the kitchen), white and black dress, plus subject motion .. you see a 'kodak moment', and you have maybe a second and a half to set up the exposure and the fill flash, get the flash charged, and shoot the shot. There are still a lot of technical issues with the shot the I got, but it sold a lot of travelers on taking this cooking tour (erm, I never got any bennies for that..)

But .. you need to become one with your camera to be able to really be a photographer.
Yeah I was not going to buy untill then but just wanted a general idea of what I wanted

Sienna jeep club #63
post #585 of 596 Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Just started reading a thread about a guy asking for tips on his first wedding. He got the crap scolded out of him for using a D40x because it wasn't professional grade. I mean, my D60 has gotten me through several weddings to date.
It ain't the hardware.

I am a crappy tennis player, and the best racquet on the planet won't help me.
But I can make a perfect solder joint, down to at least 100mil pitch, using a hot fireplace poker.

Last wedding I was a guest at, I took my K10D along just because. I was mostly shooting the pix that the pro photog wasn't getting, or just capturing scenes. 1/4 of the pix in the final wedding album were mine. In event photography, it is really more being able to capture a moment than being able to pose a perfect frame.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.9L
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
And some past Durangos
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in