The Photography Questions Thread - Page 30 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #436 of 596 Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
sparkchaser

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just thought of something. The lens I was using has a UV filter on it. Could a UV filter adversely affect low light shots?

"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 596 Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
I just thought of something. The lens I was using has a UV filter on it. Could a UV filter adversely affect low light shots?
Not so much.

Polarizer, yes; UV not to my knowledge.

Jim

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
post #438 of 596 Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 PM
yjJeff

1991 YJ Wrangler 

quit touching the lense

post #439 of 596 Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM
heyitsme
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Could anyone school me on taking HDR shots? I use a Canon Digi. Rebel XTi and have Photoshop Elements if needed....

1999 TJ Sahara: RE 3.5 SF, 33x12.50 KM2's, 15x10 Eagle Alloys, more to come...
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4: DD, Michelin LTX AT2, TRD exhaust, ready for forest trails
post #440 of 596 Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
spife7980

1997 ZJ 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...t=HDR+tutorial

-James
Got to love an ORVIS guy...
IRO 5.5", Front LA & Double Sheer TB, Rear Adj SA and TB, JKS Quick Discos, Bilstein 5125, 265/75/16 Nitto Terra's, Cragar 16x& Soft 8s 4" bs
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
post #441 of 596 Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Rezneck

1984 CJ7 

You guys might get some shots of the moon tonight on a horizon, if you have one, It's a crescent with a planet close by. My shots didn't turn out.

Throw the bums out!

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
post #442 of 596 Old 02-28-2009, 07:21 PM
jeepsarecool

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsme View Post
Could anyone school me on taking HDR shots? I use a Canon Digi. Rebel XTi and have Photoshop Elements if needed....

I'll give you the basics.

1. Put your camera on a tripod.
2. Put your camera in manual everything mode. Adjust focus, etc. the way you want.
3. Shoot a purposefully underexposed image (or overexposed, but for the sake of simplicity here, we'll go with underexposed). Check your histogram. If you have highlights that are still stacking up on the right side of your histogram, delete the image and go a stop or two more underexposed.
4. Once you get an image that includes all your highlights (no stacking on the right side of your histogram), use your SHUTTER SPEED ONLY to adjust one (or two or any number) stop faster. Shoot this photo, then repeat. It is very important to always ajust your shutter speed in the same increments - so if you moved one stop the first time, move one stop again.
5. Keep shooting shots in this increment until you have no darks stacking on the LEFT side of your histogram. This may be two shots or 10 - it just depends on the scene.
6. Now you need an HDR converter. I don't know if PS Elements has it or not - probably not. And PS really isn't the best HDR converter out there anyway. I suggest Photomatix - you can download a free trial to try it out - it just puts watermarks on your photos.

I won't go into how to convert it in the software because it will depend on what software you have. But basically, all of them take the series of shots and combines them all together to get the complete tonal range. The software does all of that for you, but the end result is ugly. At that point, you do "Tone Mapping" which allows you to actually SEE all the tonal ranges that you've worked so diligently to capture. Any software you use should have a "help" or instructions on how to do this.

And good luck.

I'm keeping this one until I die, or it kills me.
post #443 of 596 Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
AlTheKillerr

what do you guys think of this lens? im looking for a really nice macro lens

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Photographer
2000 XJ, 5" lift, 35s, Locked
post #444 of 596 Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post

Hi Colton.

I don't have that particular lens (I've the Tammy 90mm 2.8) but there's a thread over on the Nikon Cafe:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/sho...ht=Sigma+150mm

There are some example shots posted.

HTH

Jim

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

post #445 of 596 Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrVette View Post
Hi Colton.

I don't have that particular lens (I've the Tammy 90mm 2.8) but there's a thread over on the Nikon Cafe:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/sho...ht=Sigma+150mm

There are some example shots posted.

HTH
awesome thankyou! with B&H selling it for 619 i may have to get it and put my jeep build on hold. ugh i dont know what to do!

Photographer
post #446 of 596 Old 04-12-2009, 06:09 PM
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
awesome thankyou! with B&H selling it for 619 i may have to get it and put my jeep build on hold. ugh i dont know what to do!
Upgrade the Jeep. The lens should be cheaper in six months as the recession eases and the dollar/yen ratio stabilizes. Lens, body, and flash prices seem to be all over the chart lately.

Although that appears to be a very sweet lens. Now, if you could find one in 9+ used condition...

Jim

post #447 of 596 Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
AlTheKillerr

yeah i was thinking about it today while moving 9 cubic yards of mulch and i decided to go with the jeep for now

Photographer
post #448 of 596 Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 PM
iananderson17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys... i got my camera today! it isn't quite as high class as some of yours, as i got it from a parents friend for my photog class next fall. It's a Nikkormat (retrooooo) with a canon 50mm lens and a nikon 28mm lens. any info for a photo newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
This has got to be the first thread where a free gear upgrade was done. At the start, the OP had 3.07 gears, now he has 4.10 gears. And it didn't cost him a dime.
Show that to your dad !!
post #449 of 596 Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
jeepsarecool

1986 CJ7 

Quote:

I've heard lots of good things about it. But, when I was researching macro lenses, what I learned was, it's hard to buy a bad one. They're all good - at least the true 1:1 macros. You can't go wrong with the Nikon 105mm, Canon 100mm? (or whatever their's is), Tamron 90mm, Tokina 100mm (the one I bought), Sigma 105mm, or Sigma 150mm.

The extra length of the 150mm would be nice unless you plan to ever use it for portraits or anything like that.

post #450 of 596 Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
jeepsarecool

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iananderson17 View Post
Hey guys... i got my camera today! it isn't quite as high class as some of yours, as i got it from a parents friend for my photog class next fall. It's a Nikkormat (retrooooo) with a canon 50mm lens and a nikon 28mm lens. any info for a photo newbie?

Put it in manual mode and shoot away. Study all about the relationship of aperture size, shutter speed, and ISO rating. The more you shoot, the more you'll learn. It's a lot of fun.

How are you getting that Canon lens to fit on it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in