Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The Photography Questions Thread

63K views 596 replies 62 participants last post by  patrouton 
#1 ·
I decided to start a thread where i and whoever else can ask photography related questions so that there are 20 of them everyother day.

my question:

im looking for some lens cleaner. i have a microfiber clothe that is specificly for lenses but no cleaner. what kind of cleaner should i get? can a lens be cleaned to much? i dont want to rub off any kind of clear protectent on the lens. also can the cleaner be used on my UV filter? its the cheap ~20 dollar one from best buy...

#80 ·
Might I suggest lightening it up a bit...bring out the players face. It also makes the color pop a bit more...IMO.

I'll take it down at your request, if you'd like.

#83 ·
Hey Mr. Crom, I thought you might be interested in this. My assignment was to go to this meeting at a middle school cafeteria. The story was the lead for page 1, and I had to make the art strong enough to anchor the page.
Well, about two minutes into the meeting, they turned off the lights, and started up the powerpoint. There is nothing worse than having to photograph someone giving a powerpoint. What I did was set up one of my strobes on a light stand at about 6 1/2 feet high, zoomed in slightly and set on 1/16th power. I pointed it at the speaker from the side of the cafeteria. I then worked my way to the back of the group, and set my exposure for the screen. I used pocket wizard radio remotes to trip the strobe. I was planning to stick around after the meeting and get something casual, but I got called away after about 10 frames, and we had to go with what I had. Once again, not the greatest shot, but it held the front page.

#84 ·
Wwwoooohooooooooo!!!!!!

The UPS man came! I finally have my new D80. It has one million and three buttons and knobs that I don't know the functions of. But I love it. It's a "reconditioned" factory demo, but I can't tell that it isn't brand new. By the way, not all ebayer camera stores are bad. I can recommend Cameta Camera as being professional and honest.

Now, I have to learn how to use it. It's a long shot from my old Minolta x700 and I didn't know that much about photography even when I was using that one. I've got a lot to learn.

I just have an 18-55mm "kit" lens for now, but I think it will keep me entertained until I can afford a couple of others I'm interested in (105mm micro and 70-300mm VR).

#85 ·
#87 ·
The auction's a scam anyway. The guy's selling a $12,000 lens but he doesn't take his own pictures of it. And, the description looks like it was lifted from a website someplace. Anybody having a $12,000 lens to sell aught to be able to tell something about it in their own words.

#88 ·
Any advice on what to look for in light meters? I'm looking to get a 180mm 2.8 and I expect I'll need a light meter. An old Kodak I used to have had a light meter built in.

#136 · (Edited)
This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#101 ·
That purple looks like a side effect of overexposure. I also recommend stopping down the aperture. The first generation NC 2000 digitals did that all the time. Frustrating as hell, but it made me fine tune my exposure to within 1/4 of a stop and even then the purple showed up near the lighter parts of the photo.

#104 ·
my guess would be something similar to what i currently do. take some classes, go out and shoot as much as possible, then apply to some jobs. i could be wrong though :)

something that you guys might find exciting: i have had two different families approach me this week to do some weddings. :D however they are this summer when im suppose to be back in texas so im not sure if im going to do them. also i wouldnt know what to charge them if anything :dunno:

its nice to see so many people on here willing to talk photography. i could shoot and talk photography all day.

#107 ·
something that you guys might find exciting: i have had two different families approach me this week to do some weddings. :D however they are this summer when im suppose to be back in texas so im not sure if im going to do them. also i wouldnt know what to charge them if anything :dunno:
If you do them, I'm sure you'll do them well.
Personally, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it but, was it me? I'd rather shoot macro of wild grizz tonsils.

Think about it. The happiest day of some woman's life and she want's everything perfect. She want's perfect memories. I've noticed over the years that women have a different eye for perfection than guys. No doubt, if I shot a wedding, her butt would be too big, and it would be my fault.

#105 ·
AlTheKiller;4951517 something that you guys might find exciting: i have had two different families approach me this week to do some weddings. :D however they are this summer when im suppose to be back in texas so im not sure if im going to do them. also i wouldnt know what to charge them if anything :dunno: its nice to see so many people on here willing to talk photography. i could shoot and talk photography all day.[/QUOTE said:
I actually have done a couple weddings, it was fun but not my favorite thing. Everybody is so different in what they wanted. But it was really good experience.

It's great to find a site that has such diverse topics and people...Jeep people are great. :2thumbsup: I love photography and love to learn from other people's experience.

#106 ·
one of the weddings is suppose to be very traditional wedding and the pastor(?) doesnt want any pictures during the ceremony, so afterwards i would have to set it all up again just to get the pictures :thumbdown: id love the experience but id feel bad if i was the only one that they hired to take pictures and they came out bad. plus i have social anxiety so im really nervous about doing something like this but doing it would help me get over the anxiety. my dads a psycologist and never realized that my sister, myself, and my brother had this problem. my brother also has to deal with depression alot :( anyways back ontopic i still need to get out and shoot the prairie dogs here. ive been meaning to for what?? two weeks now? and still havent gotten out there. last night i was asked by the school to take pictures of the putt putt tourny we had here but no one played :( each floor was asked to build a section for the course and then there was a vote and the one that won got a pizza party. so thats all that happened. so i didnt really get anything worth while. i also have sooooo many ideas on stuff to do but im so limited because of living in the dorms. i cant build anything and i cant set up a "studio" but im transfering out of here back home (tx) so ill be able to finally be creative :2thumbsup:

#110 ·
Good luck![/QUOTE]

one of the weddings is suppose to be very traditional wedding and the pastor(?) doesnt want any pictures during the ceremony, so afterwards i would have to set it all up again just to get the pictures :thumbdown: id love the experience but id feel bad if i was the only one that they hired to take pictures and they came out bad. plus i have social anxiety so im really nervous about doing something like this but doing it would help me get over the anxiety. my dads a psycologist and never realized that my sister, myself, and my brother had this problem. my brother also has to deal with depression alot :( anyways back ontopic i still need to get out and shoot the prairie dogs here. ive been meaning to for what?? two weeks now? and still havent gotten out there.

That's what I hate about weddings, portrait, etc. it's hard to figure out exactly the results they want...the prairie dogs would be lots more fun !!!:2thumbsup:

#122 ·
yeah ill have to give nikon a call on monday and see what they say. i didnt think it was normal since like you said they are evenly spaced and a pixel in size. that kinda pisses me off. ive had this camera just a few months and its sensor is messed up. :brickwall:

#123 ·
So I got Photoshop Elements 6.0 today for my birthday. I want to install it on my laptop so I don't have to go upstairs all the time to edit my pics like I do now.

My problem is that I can't get the thing to work. I click on it, it basically does nothing. When I look at the task manager it doesn't say it is there as an application, but it is under the process tab. WTF? I've searched the web but nobody has any fixes for it,,,,jut a lot of people with the same problem? This sucks. I appreciate it if anyone knows a fix for this. I am headed upstairs to load it on my desktop......:thumbdown:

#125 ·
So I got Photoshop Elements 6.0 today for my birthday. I want to install it on my laptop so I don't have to go upstairs all the time to edit my pics like I do now.

My problem is that I can't get the thing to work. I click on it, it basically does nothing. When I look at the task manager it doesn't say it is there as an application, but it is under the process tab. WTF? I've searched the web but nobody has any fixes for it,,,,jut a lot of people with the same problem? This sucks. I appreciate it if anyone knows a fix for this. I am headed upstairs to load it on my desktop......:thumbdown:
Have you checked out

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402597

I upgraded to 5.0 when I went to Vista, and also installed 5.0 on my XP (both machines are laptops) w/o issues. Sorry, haven't any personal experience with 6.0. Maybe the troubleshooting site will help? (I'm assuming you've checked the minimum requirements for running the software - such as XPSP2, and minimal RAM, etc).

:cheers2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.