question regarding military and tattoos - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Derek33

1997 ZJ 

question regarding military and tattoos

in the air force there is a tradition that when the pilot recieves his/her first pair of wings they break them in half and give one half to their best friend/relative/someone they really trust, and they keep the other half.

I am personally very honored to be chosen, and i was considering getting my half of hte wings tattood on myself somewhere.

im curious if anyone thinks that getting my half wing tattoo'd breaks the tradition or is unlucky.

the explanation states the two halves should never meet before pilots death (god forbid). do you think the tattoo would count? since it is my half tattoo'd on my body, and i do plan on still seeing my brother...

im sorry if my question is unclear, but im basically just looking for opinions.

also, any ideas on quotes i could get with the tattoo. along the lines of "something something wingman", without making the tattoo like a memorial tattoo.

thanks,

derek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
He mil or you?
Most services have some fairly strict regs on tats these days. There was a rush on the parlors after the marines announced no visible tats while in uniform but that they would grandfather any already had.
As for bad luck, it is what you believe it is. If you think it's bad then anything bad that happens will get blamed on the body ink.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Derek33

1997 ZJ 

my brothers in the military, f15e air force pilot. im the runt of the family.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 PM
enil01

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The way I see it you should be good as long as he never brings his half of the wings over.

'93 4.0L YJ Becky
RE 4.5" XD lift | 33" TRXus M/Ts | Warn M8000 | Herculined | OBA

_|_
--X-X-(_)-X-X--
<->
<3 EP-3Es
post #5 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 PM
ludinator

Join yourself than the tattoo can mean more to you and your brother.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-19-2007, 03:44 AM
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram
He mil or you?
Most services have some fairly strict regs on tats these days. There was a rush on the parlors after the marines announced no visible tats while in uniform but that they would grandfather any already had.
As for bad luck, it is what you believe it is. If you think it's bad then anything bad that happens will get blamed on the body ink.
the marines are the only ones going that way. the rest of the services are getting a little more relaxed about it.

but yeah, if it skitches you out, don't get the ink. or ask your brother what he thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Venture
It's like someone with a fever is yelling at my pants!
post #7 of 21 Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 AM
knatdog55

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Me
the marines are the only ones going that way. the rest of the services are getting a little more relaxed about it.

but yeah, if it skitches you out, don't get the ink. or ask your brother what he thinks.
this is off subject(sorry to the OP) but i know in the navy we are allowed to have ink on our forearms again, as long as its no bigger than your closed fist.

Master of Custodial Arts-Serving the Navy one clean floor at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Protected
Should a Compass ever actually see any offroad conditions, they magnitude of attraction would be so great that it would surely burst into flames causing the driver to vear into the nearest tree...this would cause massive forest fires that would eventually lead to the burning down of many houses, and possibly members of this forum.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wouldn't bet on the navy staying that way. Our local news interviewed the COs of Little Creek and NOB when the Marines announced their regs and both said it was a matter of time.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-19-2007, 08:10 AM
talonegress

in the air force a tattoo can't cover more than 25% of an exposed body part...i think?

Current: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X
Past: 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande
Air Force Jeep Club #1
post #10 of 21 Old 06-19-2007, 01:50 PM
enil01

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
this is off subject(sorry to the OP) but i know in the navy we are allowed to have ink on our forearms again, as long as its no bigger than your closed fist.

Really? News to me. I just looked into that and my command said no dice.

'93 4.0L YJ Becky
RE 4.5" XD lift | 33" TRXus M/Ts | Warn M8000 | Herculined | OBA

_|_
--X-X-(_)-X-X--
<->
<3 EP-3Es
post #11 of 21 Old 06-19-2007, 07:01 PM
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

It's amazing how much they have relaxed the rules since my days in the Air Force in the 80s .

Back then, if you had a tatto it had better be covered.

doc

Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have
post #12 of 21 Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 AM
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
i love it. i've already got an appt. with a guy coming in from HK for two pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram
I wouldn't bet on the navy staying that way. Our local news interviewed the COs of Little Creek and NOB when the Marines announced their regs and both said it was a matter of time.
this was just changed. i have a small tattoo on my hand that has disqualified me for certain special duties before. the navy (along with two of the other services) are realizing that kids are piercing and inking just about every damned thing, before they are even out of H.S. We have to let them in, or we won't make quotas. the USMC can afford discriminate, because they are such a small force.

and now this thread has been completely hijacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Venture
It's like someone with a fever is yelling at my pants!
post #13 of 21 Old 06-20-2007, 04:40 AM
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

The way I look at it, if you want to be technical is get the tat and don't worry about it...your half of the wings will be put up somewhere, the tat is only a symbol of the wings, not the wings themselves that you were given.

having served 10 years in the AF, I think it's very cool that your brother chose you and I think it's even cooler that you appreciate and want to honor that by getting a tat in memory of it. Go for it!

As for the quote, I would consider something like "honorary wingman" or just don't get anything until the right phrase hits you, don't rush that part, you can always add it later.

Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
post #14 of 21 Old 06-20-2007, 06:35 AM
knatdog55

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enil01
Really? News to me. I just looked into that and my command said no dice.
we have a 2 or 3 page email hanging up by admin with the rule change, i think(don't quote me) went into affect in april of 06. i personally never plan on getting my forearms tattooed, but i like how i can get anything above my elbows, and below my neck line tattooed if i want.

Master of Custodial Arts-Serving the Navy one clean floor at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Protected
Should a Compass ever actually see any offroad conditions, they magnitude of attraction would be so great that it would surely burst into flames causing the driver to vear into the nearest tree...this would cause massive forest fires that would eventually lead to the burning down of many houses, and possibly members of this forum.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
talonegress

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbud
It's amazing how much they have relaxed the rules since my days in the Air Force in the 80s .

Back then, if you had a tatto it had better be covered.

doc
Well if it covers less than 25% of the exposed body part you can leave it uncovered....more than that it has to stay covered up. like a full sleeve that would have to stay unexposed.

Current: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X
Past: 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande
Air Force Jeep Club #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in