Question for the Military Jeepers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
enil01

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Question for the Military Jeepers

Hey guy's I'm new to the Navy (4 months out of boot for 2) I'm currently stationed at NAS Whidbey Island up in WA. I was wondering what sort of oportunities I would have to work on my jeep while living in the barracks. We have an auto hobbie shop on base but I don't know if I could leave projects in there for more than a day.

'93 4.0L YJ Becky
RE 4.5" XD lift | 33" TRXus M/Ts | Warn M8000 | Herculined | OBA

_|_
--X-X-(_)-X-X--
<->
<3 EP-3Es
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 PM
BigYellaJeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You CAN, but have to pay money...which is not always good. At least over at Fort Campbell (where I just was) that was the case. Some don't let you though. Especially if they know it will be there for a while. Find a friend's house or something..

Current Corvette: '01 Z06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last Jeep: 98 Sport TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)

post #3 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Bgeddes

1978 CJ5 

I was not in the Navy, but in the Army the Auto shops let you keep a project there for a fee. I guess the basic concept is if you're paying storage, you won't let it sit there forever. The autoshops were really good when I was in (many years ago), and a lot of the guys that worked there really knew thier stuff. They had every tool imaginable.

I built a stock class circle track car in one, and spent MANY weekends in the Army in the Auto Shop.

'00 XJ Classic > Stock DD
'88 Grand Waggy - Bone stock pseudo-barnfind
'78 CJ5 - Under minor rehab

post #4 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 PM
BigYellaJeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgeddes
I was not in the Navy, but in the Army the Auto shops let you keep a project there for a fee. I guess the basic concept is if you're paying storage, you won't let it sit there forever. The autoshops were really good when I was in (many years ago), and a lot of the guys that worked there really knew thier stuff. They had every tool imaginable.

I built a stock class circle track car in one, and spent MANY weekends in the Army in the Auto Shop.
Yeah, at Campbell that's not the case...don't know about elsewhere though.

Current Corvette: '01 Z06

Last Jeep: 98 Sport TJ

1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)

post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Bgeddes

1978 CJ5 

It may not have been every shop on post but the one I went to the guys that ran it were GREAT. They were car buffs with 40 years of practice each. They loved to come out and see what you were doing, offer some pointers, but let you do it until you got frustrated, then they would offer more guidence. I think they must have been in charge of buying tools too. I was only at one permenant party post, Ft. Bragg, so I cannot speak for the entire system either.

'00 XJ Classic > Stock DD
'88 Grand Waggy - Bone stock pseudo-barnfind
'78 CJ5 - Under minor rehab
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 AM
TJgreg

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here at NAVSTA Annapolis, the hobby shop is awesome. Even though its only open Fri, Sat, Sun...the prices are so cheap theyre almost insignificant. Basically 20 bucks for a full day of lifts and air tool (I have my own sockets etc) As long as you have the free time, and there are bays open, its a great place to work. I'm sure whidby is a helluva lot busier than Annapolis, though you really cant beat what they offer.

Semper Fi
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
ProjectXJRescue

I am in the reserves and use the auto shop at NASJRB Willow Grove, they are pretty cool there. While they dont have every tool, they are well stocked for the average tune up and some minor modifications to ones car. I dont know if they allow storage or not since I have never asked. They do have an agreement with an outside vendor so you can order parts and have them shipped to the auto shop. Too bad they are gonna be closing and I am gonna have to drive my butt all the way over to Mcguire or Dix starting in a few years.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Grady

Every place I was stationed at a good auto hobby shop. Most had good lifts and a good selection of tools including machines to turn brakes, air, welders and what not plus some have decent knowledgeable people working there. . Most charge very little to keep over night.
Seems that you only have to ask them to find out.

Welcome to the Navy.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
enil01

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys your input has made me feel better about buying another project. I didn't want to drop the money and find out I was stuck.

'93 4.0L YJ Becky
RE 4.5" XD lift | 33" TRXus M/Ts | Warn M8000 | Herculined | OBA

_|_
--X-X-(_)-X-X--
<->
<3 EP-3Es

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in