Opportunities in the Air Force - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I'm the Executive Officer at Texas A&M NROTC. If you have questions, ask.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited
04 4.7 HO, Overland

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For your performance needs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 09-22-2006, 06:56 PM
el jefe
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any type of Engineering degree will do for the Air Force. I know a couple of officers that have ME degrees.

'99 TJ Green
post #18 of 26 Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Cerealdaemon
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'll be the GMCA of my Flight at my AFROTC Detachment next semester. We had a briefing on this very topic by a Colonel yesterday. It is very tough to get a pilot slot, very tough. Not only do you have to be nearly perfect at everything, you have to be perfect at Field Training and your Commanders Ranking must be very high.

IMO, OTS and the other ways to get in are not worth the effort. There are more pilots each year slotted from the ROTC than any other avenue to get a pilot slot.

If you want to fly, YOU MUST GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE. An engineering degree helps, however if you are heavy into engineering, that might itself be a reason that you wouldn't get slotted for pilot. The Airforce is in desperate need of good engineers and translators. International Relations would be a good major to be considered for a pilot slot.

I'm an Information Systems major and I'm hoping to go for a pilots slot. I don't know if I'll get planes, but I would love to fly helicopters.

Good luck and I'll answer any questions that you've got about the ROTC.

One last thing,

If you are into ROTC, apply right now. I do recruiting events with ROTC and now is when scholarships are being given out and people are being contracted. Get on it!

"stand over and deliver, or the Devil he may take ya!"

post #19 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 12:27 AM
paintballjerry

When I was in, they would take any degree to enroll into the pilot program, that was in the early 90's. I worked with alot of pilots directly, most of them had Poli Sci degrees. They were F-15 pilots too. If you want to fly, now this is based on old info when I was in, get a couple years of school under your belt and enlist. After you are in there are several programs you can get into where your job is college student. One used to be called Bootstrap. They have a list of degrees they need and they send you to a really good school and pay for all of it. Normally they are looking for engineers. My best friend did four years and finished his ME degree using the GI bill. He is now a Capt. with a Masters in Aeronautical Eng. from the Air Force (AFIT).

<=== My Specs are there in my Profile!!!

Co-Ed Naked Jeeper Club Member #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescho
don;t ask here what MPG you will get with what tires etc, you will get your butt raped by the forum bullies
post #20 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 12:32 AM
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

I have a good friend who is a Major in the Air Force and will be retiring soon. He's talked with a lot of young guys who want to be pilots. The first thing he tells them is "You will most likely never fly a plane. Do you still want to join the Air Force?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
JF without War Eagle? That's like a beach without broken glass littered about. I shudder at the thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
post #21 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 01:50 AM
t3mporaryism

2006 TJ Wrangler 

yes, join us. cross into the blue.

USAF Combat Veteran
post #22 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You can gert a contract to go from High School to flight school with the Army. The Army is the only one that can give you a contract saying you'll fly. The Army graduates filling over 98% of there contracts. The other 2% get stupid or get hurt and get chaptered out honorable.
post #23 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Rule303

Get the degree. Saying you want to be in the military, but don't want to risk getting hurt is probably not what they are looking for in a pilot.
post #24 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 08:55 AM
CNY
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get your degree FIRST!!!!!!!!

Signed: ex-Air Force guy who never finished his degree.

gbad
post #25 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
Okay, im a senior in high school. i was dead set on becoming a mechanical engineer, but i want to do something. something OTHER than school. i want to go places and do something that will make a difference.

what im wondering, i KNOW i should go to school, but i want to go into the air force. if i go into the force, it will be hard going back into school afterwards.No, you will be better prepared
what my question is, if i go through school, and become an engineer, will there be any need for me in the air force? i want to fly. i WILL fly. it has been a dream of mine for a while. what would they need me doing?Read War Eagles comment, Air Force would probably be the worst choice if you want to fly

any of you guys got some outlook on this subject?? thanks alot- DAVEspent the last 3 years of my life Recruiting

Actually you have a better chance of being a major league ball player than a pilot for the Air Force at this time.

I just finished up a 3 year tour as a recruiter for the Army. At this time the Air Force would be the worst of the branches to join, if you are looking for options. I know I may sound bias as an Army Recruiter but for the last 3 years of my life I have had to keep up on this info. The Air Forces is doing HUGE reductions and is very limited on job offerings. I am not wanting to knock any branch but if you plan on enlisting do some research. Check into each branch.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #26 of 26 Old 09-23-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Thug Nasty

okay, ill talk to a recruiter around here, and see whats up.

maybe in 4 years after im almost finished with college (hopefully), i might have a different outlook on the forces. im still in the middle. go and get an engineering job, or go into the forces.

its not that im scared to die, it just wouldnt be my favorite time to go.

ive got friends who are getting out of the marines, army, and navy. the only one that said he "enjoyed" it was the one in the navy, and i hate water. the other 4 said that it was the worst decision they had ever made in their life.

who knows, but thank you for all of the imput, especially to the officers out there- DAVE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in