Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which one?

• Air force

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Navy

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • You crazy GO TO COLLAGE!!!!!

Votes: 14 26.9%

Ok I know this is sad but its down to this...NAVY or AIR FORCE?

3K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  Matt Gertsch 
#1 ·
Ok ive been going back and forth on which branch to enlist into and its come down to these two...I would be more than happy with either...im looking at either air craft mechanics or aeronautics(which they explained was electronics please correct me if im wrong)...in come to the conclusion that in the navy i would see more of the world(they say you will probably stay each main place one week at a time) and not great living conditions but would be more fun...and air force witch i think would be more like a real job with good living conditions but dont get to see much of the world or i would think be as much fun...im trying to enlist for the long hual

thanks

#7 ·
Air Force has the highest standard of living out of all of the services, but it is hard to beat the Esprit D' Corps of Paratroopers or special operations units. Talk to a recruiter and see what your chances of landing a Pararescue or Combat Controller slot. Either of those will lead to decent jobs in the civilian world.

#8 ·
Matt Gertsch said:
Air Force has the highest standard of living out of all of the services, but it is hard to beat the Esprit D' Corps of Paratroopers or special operations units. Talk to a recruiter and see what your chances of landing a Pararescue or Combat Controller slot. Either of those will lead to decent jobs in the civilian world.
that would sound pretty sweet if i want scared of hights :brickwall

#10 ·
cb19950 said:
that would sound pretty sweet if i want scared of hights :brickwall
Reach down, grab your sack and get over it. I was scared to death on the 34' towers and again on my first jump and even more so on the next 3 or 4. It wasn't until I developed the muscle memory to guide me through it, without thought, that I became comfortable with it.

Bravery doesn't mean that you're not scared of anything, it means that you have the soundness of character and testicular fortitude to do what you need to get done in the face of fear. Just nut up and do it, you'll be a better man for it.

#12 ·
Matt Gertsch said:
Reach down, grab your sack and get over it. I was scared to death on the 34' towers and again on my first jump and even more so on the next 3 or 4.

Bravery doesn't mean that you're not scared of anything, it means that you have the soundness of character and testicular fortitude to do what you need to get done in the face of fear. Just nut up and do it, you'll be a better man for it.
ok ok i may have to talk to my recurtier about it...what do u do?

#14 ·
Matt Gertsch said:
I was Ground Surveillance with B/313 MI, 82nd Airborne for a few years and a Combat Engineer for a few more. Playing with live explosives in the presence of idiots is much worse than jumping out of a plane.
so u got to blow **** up...that sounds badass!!!

#15 ·
I always say go air force! Lots of different job opportunities, and you'll get to do as much traveling as you want.

#17 ·
cb19950 said:
so u got to blow **** up...that sounds badass!!!
If that's your sort of thing, check out Air Force EOD.

We were out on a range once and we decided that we were going to try to pick up an M113 hull and spin it around using explosives. Our platoon leader thought it would be pretty sweet and he okayed it. After setting almost 3000 pounds of demo on the hull, we kicked it off. Shortly before touching it off, we realized that we didn't use delayed blasting caps on our shape charges that we were using as kickers to spin the hull. The shot got off just before we tried to call it off, and the hull got blown to hell. We sent the 800 pound top hatch of the 113 sailing about 400 feet into the air and about 3/4 of a mile back into the "safe" observation area. As we watched it, we noticed people bailing under the buses and 5 tons. Luckily, it cleared them by another 1/4 mile.

In case you're not familiar, this is an M113:

#18 ·
Matt Gertsch said:
If that's your sort of thing, check out Air Force EOD.

We were out on a range once and we decided that we were going to try to pick up an M113 hull and spin it around using explosives. Our platoon leader thought it would be pretty sweet and he okayed it. After setting almost 3000 pounds of demo on the hull, we kicked it off. Shortly before touching it off, we realized that we didn't use delayed blasting caps on our shape charges that we were using as kickers to spin the hull. The shot got off just before we tried to call it off, and the hull got blown to hell. We sent the 800 pound top hatch of the 113 sailing about 400 feet into the air and about 3/4 of a mile back into the "safe" observation area. As we watched it, we noticed people bailing under the buses and 5 tons. Luckily, it cleared them by another 1/4 mile.

In case you're not familiar, this is an M113:

that sounds freaking ausome...but what does eod stand for?

#22 ·
Usaf...

My son has been in the USAF for a short time. In that time, he has received electronics training and a TS clearance that is worth a great deal of money in the civilian sector.

He has been to the following locations:

Texas and Missouri,
Guam,

He is headed to Kyrgyzstan (borders China) in the next month for a four month tour. He will then be headed back to Guam to finish his requirement there. Then he is headed to Germany.

He enjoys living conditions that are quite nice, ie: his own room, very tolerable working conditions, very tolerable hours, low-risk, and performs duties that have directly transferrable high paying job skills in the civilian market.

#24 ·
My brother went into communications in the Air Force. That field oped alot of doors for him. He is making great $$$ now. He was hired by Siemans right out of the AF. Lived and worked in Germany for about 10 years then came back to the states and is now working for Verizon.

Good Luck whatever you decide:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.