Military Guys: Best Way to shine shoes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 48 Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 PM
TJgreg

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealdaemon
what is the consensus on the horsehair brush?
I use a brush for my boots, my not my leathers

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Cerealdaemon
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

can you use the horsehair brush too much? I understand that its oils in the hair that bring out the luster of the leather/polish. This is correct, right?

How do you know when they are as shiny as they can be?

"stand over and deliver, or the Devil he may take ya!"
post #18 of 48 Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 PM
el jefe
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealdaemon
can you use the horsehair brush too much? I understand that its oils in the hair that bring out the luster of the leather/polish. This is correct, right?

How do you know when they are as shiny as they can be?
When you cant use your arm anymore.

I've always been able to get a good shine with just a brush. It just takes a while.

'99 TJ Green

post #19 of 48 Old 09-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Remoot

Maybe I am just lazy but this stuff rocks.

http://www.leatherluster.com/

Ma pole midagi valesti teinud
post #20 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 AM
gatmog

i put my kiwi in the toaster oven for a bit til it melts--apply with a paper towel and let it settle for a bit--then i go at it with a dremel buffing wheel followed by a horse hair brush, then i wet the boot and go at it with the brush again!! can see my face in them boots!

edit: when i dont have time to do all that--liquid instawax works wonders!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Plate
I'd Hit It
2006 TJ Wrangler 

DestructoJr posted the one that worked best for me, that is til I found the shop outside gate for with the little asian guy who could shine boots like there was no tomorrow.
post #22 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 12:59 AM
gatmog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plate
DestructoJr posted the one that worked best for me, that is til I found the shop outside gate for with the little asian guy who could shine boots like there was no tomorrow.
HAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep
Wait....I didn't see where you said "black DRESS shoes." In that case, I use pledge, lol.

Pledge and edge dressing.
Who wears dress shoes, other than jump boots in an airborne unit, that you need to use polish on?

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #24 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Plate
I'd Hit It
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatmog
HAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAH
Seriously, my company probably paid that guys mortgage.
post #25 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Tjs88xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Pledge and edge dressing.
Who wears dress shoes, other than jump boots in an airborne unit, that you need to use polish on?
I didnt know you still had to shine shoes either. I did back in ROTC, but when I was in the Corps we had Corframs and Suede Combat boots.

99 XJ Classic
4.5" lift, 32" Les Schwab junk.
post #26 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly I think back to shinning and I cringe. I used to where the rippled sole Altimas that shine brilliantly with anything but I used Lincoln Wax over Kiwi. Some of the best compliments I ever got came from using leather luster on leg boots.
post #27 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

for my boots i use melted polish, and a horsehair brush to fill the pores. a cotton shirt with lots of spit for the real shine. for my dress shoes i just bought a pair of bates. F*** that patent leather crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Venture
It's like someone with a fever is yelling at my pants!

USN Hull number 54
post #28 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 04:23 AM
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bellville 390's these boots are they best I have ever worn. I have had a lot of feet, knee, and back problems from those damn hard soled black boots. These have been a gift from heaven. No shining here.
post #29 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 05:23 AM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If it's a new pair of shoes or shoes that haven't been shined in some time, I will scoop out a gob of Kiwi using two fingers in a cotton Tshirt. I'll slap the Kiwi on the shoe/boot and spread it all over scooping more as needed to get a good thick initial coat. I'll set that shoe/boot down to dry and do the other one the same way. Then, I go back to the first shoe/boot, dip the rag in room temp water to just get it damp (not dripping wet), rub it lightly in the Kiwi to get a little on the finger tips and start lightly rubbing it into the shoe/boot. I keep repeating the water/Kiwi dipping and rub in small circles (about 1" in diameter or so). It takes some practice to develop the "feel" for when you need more water and Kiwi. If you use too much water, you can "roll" the Kiwi right off the shoe/boot into little balls. If you don't use enough water, you'll just scratch the Kiwi and create a dull shine. I continue the water/Kiwi all over until the boot is a deep dark black that resembles a plastic coating. So shiny you can see your face clearly.

I like using Leather Luster on new black boots that have never seen Kiwi. I scuff the boots up with a green pad (just like a car paint job), wipe them down with the Leather Luster cleaner and then apply thin coats of Leather Luster. I let each coat dry and scuff between the first few coats. I'd say the last 2 or 3 coats I don't scuff because I don't want to see sanding scratches in the final product. I let my boots dry in an oven with the door open slightly. I'll turn it on for a couple minutes just to warm up and then shut it off and let the boots dry in the warm, dust-free environment. When done correctly, Leather Luster will come out like a mirror. It is water proof and durable. I've worn a pair of boots till the soles wore out using only Leather Luster. Just touch up about once every 2-4 weeks depending on how bad you scuff them up daily.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #30 of 48 Old 09-07-2006, 05:36 AM
wwhitby
1979 CJ5 

My Dad (ex USAF E-4 Buck Sergeant) taught me to use wet cotton balls, and Kiwi. We both use horse hair brushes and edge dressing.

Warren

Warren Whitby
1979 CJ-5 "Big Blue"
Real Jeeps have rust
Just Empty Every Pocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in