Mechanics in the Military - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
KWAG

-

I have talked to a couple recruiters and I have been told the various jobs and how they fit into each branch but i still feel like I'm just not receiving the whole story.

-Kyle

1969 Camaro z28 clone
2010 JK Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 AM
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

2016 JK Wrangler 

The army has the largest wheeled vehicle motorpool therefore more opportunities to be a mechy, you dont get to choose your first duty station unless you exchange that for more years of serviceif you're going career anyways why not get your first pick but here is how thats likely to work out.... Ill outline your first 4 years for you if you are a good troop

Talk to recruiter
Sign a ton of papers
Go to Meps and sign more papers
Get a ship date
Back to Meps
Basic
AIT
First Duty Assignment for about a month
Iraq for the next year
Make rank of E-4
Look for promotion to E-5
Change to new unit with open E-5 Slot
Make E-5..........after that who knows

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us
post #18 of 23 Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 AM
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k69camaroz28
I have talked to a couple recruiters and I have been told the various jobs and how they fit into each branch but i still feel like I'm just not receiving the whole story. From what i understand so far it seems like the navy is the only brach that has a specific section for construction and mechanics, which would be the Seabee's. One thing about every branch that i like is that in each they state you can have multiple jobs. I would like to pursue other "smaller" interests while I'm in the service and as I'm needed. I have also been told that every brach would try to place me at the base of my choice though the navy did say depending how you do in training (school) you could pick your base. How true is this? Also nobody is being specific on the length of term and how it is effected by the job you choose and other like factors. I did take the practice test and was told i scored fairly high, although i am getting a little of the used car salesman and i would like to know what normal to high is. I also was told that based on this test you will be given your job opportunities. I am very interested but I'm one of those people who like to know everything before signing anything. Thank you guys for providing the information you have thus far is there anywhere to gather more specific information from those who have been through a mechanic, engineering, or technical field? Will they allow you, and can you request to talk to a person who is a non recruiter in either of the military branches in the field you wish to pursue? Once again thank you for all your help!
The best bet to get the real info would be to talk to numerous people that are in, and do the job you are looking to do. I say talk to a bunch because one guy might really like it and one might really hate it and have nothing but negative stuff to say, recruiters will always point you to their friends if you ask to talk to someone who is not a recruiter so you will get the same story

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us

post #19 of 23 Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Dcomf

Quote:
Originally Posted by k69camaroz28
I have talked to a couple recruiters and I have been told the various jobs and how they fit into each branch but i still feel like I'm just not receiving the whole story. From what i understand so far it seems like the navy is the only brach that has a specific section for construction and mechanics, which would be the Seabee's. One thing about every branch that i like is that in each they state you can have multiple jobs. I would like to pursue other "smaller" interests while I'm in the service and as I'm needed. I have also been told that every brach would try to place me at the base of my choice though the navy did say depending how you do in training (school) you could pick your base. How true is this? Also nobody is being specific on the length of term and how it is effected by the job you choose and other like factors. I did take the practice test and was told i scored fairly high, although i am getting a little of the used car salesman and i would like to know what normal to high is. I also was told that based on this test you will be given your job opportunities. I am very interested but I'm one of those people who like to know everything before signing anything. Thank you guys for providing the information you have thus far is there anywhere to gather more specific information from those who have been through a mechanic, engineering, or technical field? Will they allow you, and can you request to talk to a person who is a non recruiter in either of the military branches in the field you wish to pursue? Once again thank you for all your help!
Holy crap. You are making it sound like a job interview or something. They are recruiters and they will tell you in the vaguest terms what you want to hear. There are no guarantees in the military for about anything. The day after you graduate AIT they could tell you you are getting reclassified to something else. If you really feel the need to talk with someone in the field then request the name and number of the branch manger for that MOS and ask them. Every branch has a "specific section for construction and mechanics" whether it's the little motorpool to Depot level repair and the Corps of Engineers. Doesn't sound like you are going to get all the answers and guartantees you are looking to get before signing up.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Navy has the SeaBees which is a dedicated construction unit. However, Army has vertical, horizontal and combat engineers which do the same job. As for mechanics, they can be assigned to a specific unit, a support Battalion that supports multiple units doing higher level repairs or even to a Depot level that does almost complete rebuilds.

Most likely scenario is to be assigned to a unit motor pool. Depending on if you choose light vehicle, heavy vehicle or generator mechanic will dictate type of unit and what job skill syou will get.

No matter what service you choose, you will have an 8 year total obligation. If you sign up for 3 years you do 3 active years and then go into the inactive reserve for the next 5. You are subject to recall during that time if needed.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
NCwheeler

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Aug. 1st is my ship date and im gonna be a 63B....kinda lookin foward to it, but kinda not lookin forward to getting my butt kicked for 9 weeks

89' Cherokee- 4.5" RC lift , 31-13.5 TSL SX's, custom front bumper, trimmed fenders

81' Trans Am- 350/400 Turbo, Edelbrock 4bbl & intake,Hooker headers, 4.11 rear gear

Red Jeep Club Member 459
post #22 of 23 Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
pushead

I was a 62B Heavy construction mech. The most I did in 4 years was change a battery out of the Tops ranger. Also dog lots of holes and was assigned to a combat ready unit. My nephew is currently a light wheel mech in the army and was assigned to a bomb squad. His job is to fix flat tires and stand on the back of a truck and shoot any thing that approaches while the bomb squad does its job. In three years he has been to Afganistan, korea and Iraq.

Its not a jeep if it dont have 4wd.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
InfantryWS6
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCwheeler
Aug. 1st is my ship date and im gonna be a 63B....kinda lookin foward to it, but kinda not lookin forward to getting my butt kicked for 9 weeks
That is almost the exct same job as a 63S which I was. Basic is not that bad anymore just try not to be noticed for stupid things and they will leave you alone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in