A Marine writes home from Iraq - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Blthomas

1979 CJ7 

Well put post ^^^^^^.

Interesting letter Jerry, thanks for sharing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped

I'll be "over there" within a year from now too, guaranteed...just so you know.

You want a special button for that?

No one made you sign the docs and join kid. It was your decision. Just so you know.

79' CJ7 - 4" lift, 33's
81' CJ8 bone stock
80' Chief "S" 6" lift, 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 08:04 AM
MontyTJ02

2008 JK Wrangler 

Great thread Jerry. This is pretty much what my best friend told me when he was home over the summer from Iraq. He didnt talk too much about it...and only told a certain few who he thought could handle it. Coolest part. When he went back he shipped me an Iraqi flag that was hanging over one of Saddams palaces that he helped to seize. With it came a pic of him ****ting into a solid gold pot reading the newspaper. All of his palaces were like 100 star hotels. While outside, people are living in poverty.

FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
post #18 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM
DrD

I don't think this thread was posted here for everyone to start arguing about who should be at war and who shouldn't. Letters like that make me think a lot. All the everyday problems seem like nothing compare to what the soldiers at war go through. Hope this war will be over soon.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #344

2k2 TJ X
it's not your average grocery-getter...

3.07 GEAR CLUB MEMBER #14
polish jeep owner club member # 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 08:28 AM
aeguy010

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry that is a very interesting letter, I agree it is nice to see letters from our boys, I remember when desert storm(1991) was going on You could write to a soldier as a pen pal I got a couple letters back I thought it was very cool as I was in 6th grade ( i think)

But every soldier I have spoken to and yes they have been over there, they say the media does not accuratly represent all the good they are doing over there. you know there is no news like bad news......
I personaly agree with what we are doing over there, wheather you do or not we still need to show unwaivering support for our brothers and sisters over there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBastard
The D35 Is the strongest,toughest,meanest,true-tested,durable,shameless axle ever produced.PERIOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeguy010
"You regret the things in life you didn't do more than the ones you did".
post #20 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 08:50 AM
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

Very good read there Jerry thanks for sharing. My friend has been back from Iraq for a week he has told me many stories of the things that have been highlighted in the letter. Tonight is on me. I told him that what ever he wanted to do and who ever he wanted to be there was welcome. He has been in Iraq for 1.5 years and is headed to Korea next.

OUT WITH THE OLD R.I.P. 98 TJ Sport 4" Procomp lift/adjustable lower control arms and track bar **** Cepek FCII 33x12.50x15/**** Cepek DC-1 wheels
IN WITH THE NEW 05 WK LIMITED EDITION 5.7L
post #21 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Why J?

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlex234
he should be home in stead of this pointless war

flame on cuz im most likely being un american to some of you

seriously though he should be home with this family
Apparently you missed some of the major points of this letter, maybe you should re read it. Am I the only one that can see how important it is to keep the fight on the doorstep of the enemy? Most do not understand that if we pull out all the work that our troops have died for will not only have been a waste but the enemy will bring the fight to us. A point which most refuse to admit because of their own misguided and misinformed ideas. Try sitting down with a soldier he/she will tell you how important this fight is, how they believe in the fight. How proud they are.

Republic of California?? Could you be anymore unpatriotic? You should be ashamed.

New Project "Pissed Wife"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550

post #22 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Snuffster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlex234
i dont see any senators son over there, silver spoon in mouth, its the everyday people who get the burden
You do realise we have an all-volunteer force? But since it's important for you, Senator McCain's son went to the Marine Corp boot camp in September.
post #23 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 09:28 AM
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Nice letter Jerry, thanks for posting it up.

post #24 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I cannot believe how a few of you turned a chance to marvel at a great letter into just another chance to "go political" on us. Thanks for getting that nasty political ball rolling again phlex234.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #25 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 AM
trance_junkie

GREAT post Jerry!

And I apologize, but I can't let a few comments of this thread go untampered with. They just turn my stomach!

The reason most senators aren't over there, not to say the would go because we have a VOLUNTEER army is the fact that the majority of them are too old to enlist

And I dare you to go up to Sen. McCain and tell him he is a bad person for not fighting in this war and sending our troops over instead. For some reason I recall McCain has SERVED his time, quite bravely I might add...something regarding POW just keeps popping into my head?

Know your stuff before opening your mouth!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...220528,00.html
post #26 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_junkie
For some reason I recall McCain has SERVED his time, quite bravely I might add...something regarding POW just keeps popping into my head?
Here's part of Senator John McCain's bio...

LtCdr. John S. McCain III was a pilot assigned to Attack Squadron 163
onboard the aircraft carrier USS ORISKANY (CVA-34). On October 26, 1967, he
launched in his A4E "Skyhawk" attack aircraft as the number three aircraft
in the first division of a strike group against the Hanoi Thermal Power
Plant.

The flight met with considerable resistance in the form of anti-aircraft
fire and surface-to-air missiles (SAM) approaching the target. As McCain
rolled into his dive, his aircraft was observed by his wingman to take a
direct hit from anti-aircraft fire and to burst into flames. McCain was able
to eject from his crippled aircraft and made brief emergency contact before
his parachute landed in a nearby lake in Hanoi. He was captured immediately
and confined in the Hanoi prison system, as was verified by Radio Hanoi
broadcasts and later information gathered during his years of imprisonment.
McCain was severely injured, having broken both arms and his right leg, and
his strength in coping through his recouperation was inspiring to many of
his fellow POWs.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #27 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 10:30 AM
trance_junkie

Amen to that!
post #28 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Nuthin
Curses! Foiled again!!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can't get political over that letter. I just want that man and all his peers home safely. Lord, watch over them!

(I *was* surprised at his assessment of the Iraqi police, I don't recall the same aspects of their commitment being highlighted in any news or commentary that I've seen.)

Quote:
--Please put my quote in your signature. Love, 'Shux
--I'd rather have that than tapwater you can light on fire. - Lone Jeeper
--You're doing it wrong. - Cause --I don't care. At least I'm doing it. - AKABOB
"The minute you hear ‘freedom’ and ‘democracy’, watch out…because in a truly free nation, no one has to tell you you’re free.” Jacque Fresco

-

Wardrobe by Levi, makeup by Chance, hairstyle by Wrangler
post #29 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
phlex234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I cannot believe how a few of you turned a chance to marvel at a great letter into just another chance to "go political" on us. Thanks for getting that nasty political ball rolling again phlex234.
anytime jerry! xoxoxo
post #30 of 38 Old 11-03-2006, 11:13 AM
phlex234

my point is that it sucks he has to be there, it sucks has to deal with all of that, this war has turned ugly, and its everyday people like us that feel the brunt of it. this past month was the worse its hard to sit back and want the war to continue.
yes, i know some of you were in war and are going but im sorry, i rather see you at home. drinking a beer, making love to your woman, complaining about the mail etc..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in