Ellsworth Air Force Base off the closure list!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 08-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Greydawg

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well thank God they kept Ellsworth open. We gotta keep those pesky canucks up north where they belong. (just kidding,eh?).

Isn't that the state where they got rid of the long-serving dem. senator and elected a republican because he promised to keep the base open? Sounds like he came through. I bet if the democrat was still in office the base would still be closing.

. 2005 Unlimited TJ - Patriot Blue
. Mods: Pine Tree Air Freshener hanging on mirror
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 08-27-2005, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
talonegress

You're thinking of former Senate Minority leader Senator Daschle. Yes he was defeated last year by Sen. Thune a Republican. BRAC was a major issue during the debates, but they never really had that much influence to begin with. The president has stayed out of the whole process till its his turn to approve the BRAC recommendations. So the whole thing with Sen. Thune being able to use his affiliation to the Republican party to get Ellsworth off the list was blown way out of proportion. He alone had nothing to do with it. Sen. Thune, Sen. Johnson, Representative Herseth and Gov. Rounds were the main people on the team that helped get Ellsworth off the list.

Current: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X
Past: 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande
Air Force Jeep Club #1
post #18 of 20 Old 08-27-2005, 03:13 AM
jeverett
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018
Just imagine what would have happened if Ellswoth afb or groton would have closed. Groton employing some 8,000 people I think and Ellsworth being in South Dakota and pumping 200 million dollars and change into the economy. This is also the MAIN reason the commission didn't close Cannon AFB and made it an enclave till 2009. It would have devastated the economy of Clovis NM.
yep, that is one of the reasons that Kirtland keeps being left off the lists even though they are mentioned at the begining of the last 2, between the AF, reserves, AF research lab, DOE, and a national lab, the base employes something like 25-30K people in Albuquerque NM. which would be a huge hit to the local economy if it were to be closed (or alternately, they would have to turn over large portions of it from DoD to DOE control and leave DOE and the national lab there with the government still paying for much of the lands upkeep and security. so it just doesn't make sense)

04 TJ sport 4.0 automatic. Stock, for now.

post #19 of 20 Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 AM
Greydawg

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that clarification, afdude. For a minute there I thought everyone in Washington were crooked yes-men who just looked out for their own skin and the next dollar.

I have no political affiliation-i'm just a guy who thinks both parties are so into destroying their political rivals that nothing good gets done.

. 2005 Unlimited TJ - Patriot Blue
. Mods: Pine Tree Air Freshener hanging on mirror
post #20 of 20 Old 08-27-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
talonegress

Your welcome dawgboy!

Current: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X
Past: 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande
Air Force Jeep Club #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in