Coast Guard (or other Military) Academy Information - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
_Kyle_

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Coast Guard (or other Military) Academy Information

Some are going to say it's too early, others will say it's the right time. But, I'm looking into colleges (I graduate June 2008).

One of the things that has interested me for a while is the Coast Guard. I am curious if any one here has been through their academy (or other Military academy) and would like to share their experiences and thought about it. I'm seriously considering attending for Civil Engineering, serving my 5 yr commitment, then moving to a private job while remaining a reservist (not too sure on after academy plans). One of the biggest issues is my parents anti-military outlook, mainly due to the current conflict. However, I think serving my country is important.

The only other options I have looked into at Michigan State, University of Michigan, and Michigan Technological. I'm a pretty bright student (4.4 GPA [all A's] and a 29 on the ACT [retesting soon for a higher score]).

Does anyone care to share any advice or experiences regarding this situation?

-Kyle

1996 Grand Cherokee
2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-2007, 11:16 PM
suicide
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTorak
Some are going to say it's too early, others will say it's the right time. But, I'm looking into colleges (I graduate June 2008).

One of the things that has interested me for a while is the Coast Guard. I am curious if any one here has been through their academy (or other Military academy) and would like to share their experiences and thought about it. I'm seriously considering attending for Civil Engineering, serving my 5 yr commitment, then moving to a private job while remaining a reservist (not too sure on after academy plans). One of the biggest issues is my parents anti-military outlook, mainly due to the current conflict. However, I think serving my country is important.

The only other options I have looked into at Michigan State, University of Michigan, and Michigan Technological. I'm a pretty bright student (4.4 GPA [all A's] and a 29 on the ACT [retesting soon for a higher score]).

Does anyone care to share any advice or experiences regarding this situation?

Your parents are anti- American cowards. burn their house down.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM
TJgreg

2005 TJ Wrangler 

1) Awesome that you're looking that direction

2) Never to early to start getting interested, tons of work and prep to get started with everything.

3) If you're only looking to do your mandatory time and leave, don't bother. If you get in and find out its not for you, thats one thing, however you have to have you sights set on military service and not be pre-occupied with civilian life afterwards

4) pm me with any questions you might have, I'm at USNA.

Semper Fi

post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Ski01xj

2002 WJ 

My friend just graduated from the USCG boot camp. He didn't attend the acadamey. He said its one of the best decisons hes ever made and I've never seen him happier. Every time I talk to him hes got some ridiculous story to tell me. He's learning a lot of things he never would have, and making a lot of money while doing it.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Islandroaddie96

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I started applying to Kings Point at the end of my junior year of HS, so I don't think you're starting to early. One of the main reasons I started that early was to get going on my nomination, but I don't think the CGA requires that.

If you are not 100% sure of what you want to do, you should definitely consider KP. You can graduate from here as an active-duty commissioned officer in any branch you want (including USMC, USA, USN, USAF and USCG), or be a USNR officer and work in the private sector. Your active duty commitment is the same as graduates from all of the other acadamies and should you go reserve, that commitment is eight years. About 1/3 of each graduating class goes active, mostly in the Navy, but there are plenty of Coast Guard guys too and we have a liasion officer and active CG station on campus too. Plenty of opportunities.

www.usmma.edu

1996 XJ Sport
4.0L I6 HO; AW4; NP242; D30/D35; 3" Homebrew BB; 31" x 10.5" BFG A/T
Six Harbor Freight Lights (el cheapo)

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 AM
TJgreg

2005 TJ Wrangler 

^ you know mike mcginnis?

Semper Fi
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
mdoug445

my little sister is a freshman at the coast guard academy. she didnt have nearly those grades, but she got in. keep those grades up. why did she get in? because her extracurricular activity list was "one of the most impressive theyd seen." so participate in clubs, sports, anything to get some activities on that list. it seems to me that those are more important to grades, to them. when you get there, just dont talk unless youre spoken too. i went up there for my sisters induction ceremony and it was blazing hot outside and i was wearing a polo and khaki shorts and i was dying, while all the cadets had on dark blue cargo pants, dark blue tshirts, and dark blue hats. they had be miserable.

several kids had quit before the induction ceremony was over. its a nice campus, but small. right on the river. they have a lot of rules. i dont have the patience to do that, but good luck to you if you can. it will definately give you a good education.

Gone: 97 Cherokee Sport
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM
InfantryWS6
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunm1a1
Your parents are anti- American cowards. burn their house down.
that is your only option
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Islandroaddie96

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJgreg
^ you know mike mcginnis?
I know the name, but I'm trying to put a face on it. You know what company he's in?

1996 XJ Sport
4.0L I6 HO; AW4; NP242; D30/D35; 3" Homebrew BB; 31" x 10.5" BFG A/T
Six Harbor Freight Lights (el cheapo)

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your Junior year is nearly too late to start preparing to apply to the academies, get on it now! Be sure that in addition to your sound academics that you also start racking up EVERY possible leadership and community involvement role you can. The academies will take someone with a 3.7 GPA that shows leadership and community involvement before a geek bookworm type with a 4.0 average. Some form of involvement with athletics is VERY important too and it doesn't matter if you're on the football team or do something less dramatic like fencing, golf, etc.

A well-rounded resume with above average grades, leadership, community involvement, and sports involvement will win them over a less well rounded school resume with even a perfect GPA every time.

Higher math skills will be needed too as all of the academies focus heavily on engineering.

Good luck, and don't forget to apply to ALL of the academies which will increase the odds of getting you to your goal.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 06:29 PM
catdieselpowa

Jerry is pretty much spot on. I am USNA'09 and I got in with a 3.12 gpa in high school, but I rowed crew in HS and was recruited by the heavyweight crew team, had solid community service credentials such as Special Olympics, and I also had been in contact with the coaches since late in my sophomore year of high school. Good luck and I hope you know what you are getting yourself into.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 PM
2005Unlimited

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is some advice.

Go around this summer and check them out. You should have already applied.
You really should check out all the academies. Naval, Annapoliss, Caost Guard, Air Force i think they have one, and The Army one I forget that dam name.
There are also alot of scholarships that all the services offer, that you could very posibly get. Check with your local recruiters they should have some info for you. I know the naval rotc officer training corps has 3 boards. September december feburary. There is alot to do to get applied. Your teachers have to give refferences and a couple other things.
One good thig about the scholarships, you may get into a college that you always wanted to get into. With the military backig the funds you will not have a problem geting in 90% of the time.

But there are alot of options. You just need to find what works for you. Don't let anyone change your ultimate goal.
Another thing the academies and scholarships you don't have to have your parents sign for you if you are 17. Only if you try to go into the active reserves, or active duty.

hope this helps.

Go visit. If you don't have the money apply and they will pay your way I believe.

2005 Black Unlimited Turbo, 3 1/2 in Rubicon Express Lift, 33 BFG AT, Dana 30 Front, Dana 44 Rear, JKS Disconnects, Nates 4x4 Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in