Any Coast Guard on here? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Any Coast Guard on here?

I was always kind of curious what service in the coast guard was like, what the initial process is like, all that. Any guys on here have experience they can share?

Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The initial process will be like the rest of the Military. They fall under Homeland Security, but still have their basic training and advance trianing and operate basically the same as the rest of the Military.

My brother was Coast Gaurd for 5 years.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2006, 06:14 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Been in since the Eagle was commissioned, or so it feels.
I think it's the best way to serve my country. We actually help US citezens on a daily basis. I've performed CPR on a fisherman while waiting for an airlift, I've fought a fire on a coal frieghter 200 miles off the coast of NC, I've been a Boarding Officer doing safety and fisheries enforcement on Georges Bank, and I've pulled a jumpers body out of the Genessee River. All this starting out as an enlisted cook and now I am the senior inspector for the eastern US. So you can see that there is a lot of opportunity for new things and advancement.
I think what I like best is that since it is such a small service and you get a real feeling of "family" My neighbor was on the USS America for 3 yrs and said he didn't even meet everyone onboard much less know them as friends, I was stationed on a 378 (biggest cutter on the East coast) almost 20 yrs ago and I am still in touch with crew mates. It's the same with the crew of a 270 that I was on 14 years ago and the small boat station I was at on lake Ontario.

It is a psuedo military service so you do boot camp and the structure is the same as the Navy. You will either learn discipline and order or you'll get in major trouble.
I don't want to bore everyone with this so If you want to know more PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2006, 08:27 AM
CJM

I have a good friend that has been in for 5 or 6 years and likes it. He is currently in Georgia, but started in NC(Emerald Isle) then got moved to Alaska where he was an on-base police officer.....or something similar. I think he was up there for maybe 2 years and really didn't get on a boat at all.
I am not sure what he is doing in Georgia though.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2006, 04:23 PM
carmannj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey man I'm in the Coast Guard, if you have any specific questions shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer them the best I can for you, vadslram basically hit the nail right on the head for a basic description. Obviously with his time in service he could answer a bunch of detailed questions for you. I have only been in 6 yrs. so far and I'm what they call an MK which is a Machinery Technician basically a mechanic. They break the ***** and it's my job to fix it. I will gladly answer some questions for you if I can.

Carman

2007 Rubicon Unlimited

2005 TJ Rubicon

Last edited by carmannj; 02-16-2006 at 04:34 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-16-2006, 04:30 PM
racer35

I am in the CG too, been in for five years and I am a storekeeper 2nd class. E-5 in all other branches. I work supply and purchasing things, AKA spending your tax money.

CG is a great service but it is not for everyone being a sea going service. but the people and the way the CG treats you is better than any other serivce thats for shore.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-16-2006, 08:37 PM
mdoug445

my sister is going to the USCGA in july. she got a conditional appointment that shes in after this year if she keeps her grades above a 2.5 at the college/prep school shes at now.

Gone: 97 Cherokee Sport
post #8 of 9 Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 PM
FollowVirgil

I've got a bunch of buddies who are "Coasties". I hear that you guys are issued board shorts at basic instead of the standard M16A2.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 AM
racer35

no we don't have board shorts!

To tell you the truth CG boot is the second tuffest boot camp mentally, the first is marines. Boot camp is no walk in the park since the whole point is to train you to save lives not take them, but at the same time able to defend our country.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in