Air Force Guys... should I do it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
PDX_XJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Air Force Guys... should I do it?

I'm in So-Cal right now, and I just got back from Air Combat USA - a civilian air combat school. I was going to be dogfighting, but due to problems with one of the planes, we ended up taking off with one and just doing acrobatic maneuvers for half an hour. I was bummed that I didn't get to fight, but because I didn't get to dogfight, they rescheduled me for when they are in Portland... Bonus!

Anyway, I'm back at the hotel, and I still cannot wipe the smile off my face. I want to get back in the air soooo bad. I'm gonna talk to an Air Force recruiter tomorrow to see what my options are.

Any Air Force guys wanna chime in and give me some advice? What questions should I ask? What should I watch out for?

Thanks!

• Armor's Axiom: Virtue is the failure to achieve vice.
  • The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm former USAF and I have nothing but good things to say about my time. Just try to figure out what USAF job you want to do and get qualified to attend the school for it ahead of time, before you even enlist. Your pre-enlistment test scores will have a lot to do with your options though.

Plus it would be the rare job in the Air Force (some wags call it the CHAIR Force ) that would have you ever waking up with bugs crawling up your nostrils and mud caking your eyes shut.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I am with Jerry. I spent 26 years in and kind of miss it after being retired for 15 years. If you are thinking about being a pilot, you must have a collage degree.
There are a few enlisted flying jobs but not many.

In 26 years the only time I flew was when going on temporary duty or overseas, and that was all commerical aircraft or USAF cargo planes. I did get what was called an incentive ride in an F-4 and the pilot let me take the stick for a little bit. He did break the sound barrier for me, that was neat.

Life in the Air Force is pretty good right now. The pay is really good. I have a co-worker who's son just went in and he say he really likes it. Just remember that you will have to obey orders. What ever you decide, good luck.

Previous Jeeps: 84 CJ7 (A True Jeep), 2000 XJ (163,000 Miles/Totaled (Pictures of wrecked Jeep in gallery)), 2004 WJ (parting out die to major electrical issues)

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU

post #4 of 9 Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
PDX_XJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The college degree isn't a problem - I have been accepted to graduate school. I'm sure that everyone who joins the Air Force thinks they are going to be headed to 'Top Gun,' but I am a bit more of a realist. They can't let everyone be a pilot.

That said, I have better than perfect vision, am only 5'5", and have a "very superior" IQ. I took an ASVAB in high school, and the Army really wanted me, but I went to college instead. I'm going to see where I get.

If I don't get to be a fighter pilot, I'm going to get a civilan's pilot liscence and get my own plane. The Marchetti 260 I flew was awesome.

• Armor's Axiom: Virtue is the failure to achieve vice.
  • The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_XJ
The college degree isn't a problem - I have been accepted to graduate school. I'm sure that everyone who joins the Air Force thinks they are going to be headed to 'Top Gun,' but I am a bit more of a realist. They can't let everyone be a pilot.

That said, I have better than perfect vision, am only 5'5", and have a "very superior" IQ. I took an ASVAB in high school, and the Army really wanted me, but I went to college instead. I'm going to see where I get.

If I don't get to be a fighter pilot, I'm going to get a civilan's pilot liscence and get my own plane. The Marchetti 260 I flew was awesome.
Based on your degree, vision, and height (especially that!), I'm betting they'd want you for a fighter pilot. The bigger the individual, the harder they have squeezing into a small fighter cockpit! They also love it when you say you were a competitive sports guy in college, especially wrestlers... they want the fighter pilots to have the strongest possible desire to win. And, heh, ya better learn to spell pilot's license before ya start fillin' out them thar USAF fighter pilot forms.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to get your private pilot's license before entering the USAF and keeping your mouth shut about it if you get accepted into flight school. That added flight and theory experience will make a VERY demanding school just a tad less challenging! I have a private pilot's license (with quite a bit of aerobatics and "unusual attitudes" flying) and even that isn't all that easy to earn.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Greydawg

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Plus it would be the rare job in the Air Force (some wags call it the CHAIR Force ) that would have you ever waking up with bugs crawling up your nostrils and mud caking your eyes shut.

I read in Monday's USA Today that they are starting to send some Navy and Air Force personnel on a 2-3 week course on urban combat and they're going to go to Iraq for duty guarding convoys and such. The Army is having a hard time recruiting for some reason.

. 2005 Unlimited TJ - Patriot Blue
. Mods: Pine Tree Air Freshener hanging on mirror
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Confederate 1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And I know first hand that right know the Air Force is dismissing people (voluntary separation) left and right. I have a friend that's a KC-135 plane commander, and they are forcing people out, incluiding pilots. He's in good shape, but his wife (also an officer) is getting discharged in Oct-Nov 06, about 6 -7 months ahead of her contract. She's still getting promoted to Captain in June, as scheduled. You gotta love this!

"The Redneck Puertorrican"
Home:
Tampa, FL. I do miss: my running "peeps" in Tampa, running barefoot in Clearwater Beach & First Choice Bar B-Q.
Go Gators, Go Bucs!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Xrossed

My story....and its all good

The Air force did nothing but good for me....but of course we are talking about a different time. Todays president would have you go do BS missions in BS places.

With that said, I had a great experience and saw things that most people will NEVER see in their entire lives!

My only regrets are that I should taken my first choice of jobs.
I was a crewchief on f-4's and F-15's which was a great job! dont get me wrong... but I should have joined the USAF special ops.
Most people only hear about the weak "Navy Seals" or "green berets" etc.... and dont reralize that the airforce has a team that is 5 times more bad-***! called the "black diamonds"
They come complete with their own air support!

In todays world I would be extremely careful about joining the military. not because of teh conflict and combat , but because of going to work for a dickhead like George Bush... who is without a doubt the worst president ever to sit in the white house.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Trainwrek

I cant say I disagree with what you all said. ITs true, people are getting kicked out which is really starting to mess up things I just hope they dont spred us to thin. Its true its not only the army doing convoy duty, the way its going I think there will only be one branch and military law, esp if what the F***K gets into the CIA. Right now I have been in the AF since 2k but did 6 yrs prior in the Army Guard station in NM. The base my suck but at least the rock crawling here rocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in