TPMS tire sensors - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just got my used matching rim from a KK donor. It has Mopar 56029479AA tpms sensor and is says Schrader right on it. Also says made in the UK. Looks like everything is completely sealed in epoxy so not worth the effort and likely will be destroyed trying to replace batteries.

Alright moving on to finding some long lasting sensors. Read some reviews saying the newest Schrader sensors might not be as reliable as the older ones. Will study that more since I don't want to be dealing with sensors for another 10 years.

lnistico likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 09-10-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The older style Schraders we have in our jeeps and the matching programmable EZ version are made in the UK. The newer Schrader EZ programmables are made in Mexico if that tells us anything.
post #18 of 31 Old 09-11-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I found where it says in the 2011 KK service manual that when you replace a sensor the wireless control module can be programmed with the new sensor id's or just drive it over 20mph for 10 minutes or less and it will learn the new id's automatically.

So buy preprogammed sensors, install them and drive. Or buy programmables, program them to the vehicle, install and drive.

post #19 of 31 Old 09-11-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've been zooming in on a lot of aftermarket sensor photos and it appears that a large portion of them are rebranded Schraders since it also says Schrader on the sensor. Thinking I might just take a gamble on the newest programmable Schrader 33500. Seems like a lot of shops are using these and probably have the best chance of getting fresh ones. They started making them in 2015 so they will be newer than that. Any of the older models you risk getting new old stock that may have been sitting around quite a while.

This is what the newest style looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
81aKdXD0A4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
lnistico likes this.
post #20 of 31 Old 09-12-2020, 05:29 AM
lnistico

I was quoted $191 each for two bad sensors at the Dodge dealership. Is that what you paid>
post #21 of 31 Old 09-12-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have not purchased yet, but probably will get the Schrader EZ 33500 shown in the photo above. Can be found a lot of places on the internet for like $23-25 each. They will need to be programmed which I can do with a borrowed tool otherwise would have to pay someone to program.

Is that $191 quote just for the sensors or is it for sensors plus labor for installing them and programming? What year is your KK? I'm sure they will be selling you Mopar sensors. The lastest Mopar part number for 2008-2012 KK is 68406530AA and made in the UK. Looks like there is rubber or metal stem versions. I assume they quoted you for one of these.
post #22 of 31 Old 09-12-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Schrader EZ 33000 made in the UK and has been replaced by Schrader EZ 33500 made in Mexico. It sounds like the 33000 will be sold until supplies run out which means new old stock. That sucks, because I'd rather buy the UK units because is seems they may last longer. Could always pay for the Mopar 68406530AA UK made sensors. I wonder if anyone is rebranding those UK made Schraders for less cost.
post #23 of 31 Old 09-13-2020, 06:36 AM
lnistico

I have a 2006 Liberty. I'm assuming the $191 each did not include labor which where I live the dealership charges $150 per hour.
post #24 of 31 Old 09-13-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Websites are showing $95.85 list price for the Mopar 68406530AA sensor. Times two is $191.70 so they are charging list price. Makes sense the dealership would not charge sale price. A quick search I seen that sensor for as low as $64 each from random websites.
post #25 of 31 Old 09-13-2020, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

For my Jeep, $64 x 5 senors = $320 just for parts. No way I'd pay that much to know if I have a low tire. I can tell that by looking at them, testing them manually and driving on them.
post #26 of 31 Old 09-29-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So put in the Schrader EZ 33500 made in Mexico sensors. $120 for five of them, that's as high as I'm willing to go to hopefully not have the dash doing annoying stuff. Hope these last as long as the original UK made ones. Time will tell. I cloned the new sensors to match the originals. Driving it for the first time I never got a light so the Jeep thinks the same sensors are in the wheels. I had to program a new 5th sensor, but I had the tire shop put that sensor in the spare so will not know if the light will come on until the next oil change and tire rotation. The control module is supposed to learn the new codes on it's own so hopefully no problems when I rotate. Maybe the light will come on for a little while until it realizes it's spinning a new sensor then go off.
post #27 of 31 Old 10-08-2021, 05:21 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Old thread, some incorrect info here that should be cleared up. KK Sports can have 315 or 433 sensors depending on model year, OEM wheel/tire size and other options. Limiteds newer than 2009 will have 433s.

If you use OEM sensors you don't HAVE to reprogram anything, the monitor will relearn after driving and parking a couple times at most. I've done that a dozen times on a couple different MOPAR vehicles. Aftermarket sensors can be a PITA, but refer to the aftermarket literature. Some just don't want to play well. You probably don't have to program anything but it may be faster. You can get a set of four OEM sensors on eBay for $50-$100 more or less.

Transponders located in three of the four wheel wells of the vehicle provide the Wireless Control Module (WCM) commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SRKEEM) with the location of the tire pressure sensors on the vehicle. The transponders are located in the left front, right front and left rear wheel wells. A fourth transponder is not necessary in the remaining wheel well due to the process-of-elimination theory. Once the system knows the location of the first three sensors it assumes the location of the fourth tire pressure sensor is in the left rear tire.

The battery operated tire pressure sensor is both a transmitter and a receiver. The TPM sensor can be forced to transmit if using a special tool such as a TPM-RKE Analyzer, or from a transponder. The TPM-RKE Analyzer has the ability to change the sensor’s operating mode and to diagnose a faulty TPM sensor. Using a TPM-RKE Analyzer can take up to a minute to force a transmission from a sensor. The TPM sensor can be in one of the following modes:

•Sleep Mode – A new TPM sensor will be in this mode. If placed on the vehicle as a road tire, the TPM sensor will transmit once every 20 seconds when the vehicle is driven at speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h). If the vehicle is not moving, the sensor will only transmit on a pressure change greater then 1 psi (6.9 kPA). Driving the vehicle continuously at speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h) for more then 4 minutes will change the sensor state into 30 BLOCK MODE. The TPM sensor will not return to SLEEP MODE. Now, if the vehicle has been stopped for 20 minutes, the TPM sensor state will change to PARK MODE.

•Park Mode – This is the correct operating mode when the vehicle is not moving. The sensor will transmit once every 13 hours to update the WCM, or will transmit on a 1 PSI delta change. The sensors will internally take a measurement of the tire pressure every minute to determine a change in tire pressure

•30 Block Mode – If the vehicle has been stopped for more then 20 minutes, or if the sensor’s operating mode was forced to Park Mode using a TPM-RKE Analyzer, the sensor’s operating mode will transition from Park Mode to 30 Block Mode once the vehicle is driven over 15mph. In this mode, the sensor will transmit once every 15 seconds when the vehicle is driven at speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h) for the first 30 transmissions. After about 8 minutes of continuous driving above 15 mph (24 km/h), the sensor’s mode will change to Drive Mode

•Drive Mode – In this mode, the sensor will transmit once every minute when the vehicle is driven at speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h). At any time that the vehicle speed drops below 15mph, the sensor will not transmit. The sensor mode will still be in drive mode when the sensor reaches speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h). If the vehicle has been stationary for more then 20 minutes, the TPM sensor will change to PARK MODE.

Each sensor’s (transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the wireless control module (WCM) can monitor the state of each of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The WCM can automatically learn and store the sensor’s ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 m.p.h. (24 Km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced, The vehicle must be stationary for more then 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence.

The sensor IDs can also be programmed using the TPM-RKE Analyzer Tool.

If you have a sensor in the spare, it won't interfere or be monitored as its in Park mode and the more active road wheel will override it. When you rotate and replace a road wheel with the spare, all the sensors locations are off. It will straighten out, usually after driving a couple minutes, sometimes a couple ignition cycles.
Fourspeedman likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #28 of 31 Old 10-23-2021, 10:10 AM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just found this old thread. My only experience is with GM sensors but they use Schrader sensors too. I just bought the Schrader replacements and they worked great. I did go and get an AUTEL TS508 scan tool that I grabbed at an excellent price on Fleabay. It is the lowest priced model that plugs into the Data Port. I was able to activate every sensor, find which ones were dead, battery condition, remove trouble codes, and force the computer to re-learn each wheel position without driving. You can clone and re-name the sensors too. It even tells you the make and part number of the sensor in each wheel. The AUTEL maxi sensors are programmable with the AUTEL tool and work on 98% of all cars. I think just getting the proper Schrader replacement like Rob did is fine, no un-necessary headaches.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #29 of 31 Old 11-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE: We needed new tires and even though the OEM TPMS sensors were functional, they were nine years old. No, I was not willing to see if they would last the life of the new tires. I bought four new Schrader 28308 sensors for $100 and had them installed with the tires. They synced with the Control Module before I got halfway home. EZPZ.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #30 of 31 Old 11-25-2021, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thank guys. Way less complicated than I originally thought. Funny that you are calling this an old thread since it seems like it just happened. I just hit 3k miles on the new tires and sensors so will be rotating them soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in