TPMS tire sensors - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 09-06-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

TPMS tire sensors

2011 KK

Right now I have an oem full size spare tire on a steel rim. I have a matching alloy rim on the way and plan on 5 new matching tires and doing the 5 tire rotation. I've never dealt with TPMS programming.

Is there really a sensor in the spare? Whenever I bolt the spare tire on any hub the TPMS light will come on and stay on as long as I am running the spare. As soon as I hang the spare back under the cargo area the light goes out. Makes me think there is not a sensor in the spare or the Jeep knows when I'm using the spare.

Do the sensors need to be programmed or will the Jeep sense them automatically? Will it accept 5 sensors in the rotation without the annoying light coming on all the time? How'd we ever get by without tire nannies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-06-2020, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just found a Mopar video for the 2011 KK and it said the vehicle monitors the pressure in the 4 road tires. That tells me the spare does not have a sensor.

So I still need to figure out if I can work a fifth sensor into the rotation.
post #3 of 31 Old 09-06-2020, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

From reading the service manual the KK can come with either the base tpms system or the premium system. The base systems consists of tire pressure sensors and a central control module which tells you that one or more of the tires is low by turning on a light. With the premium system there tire pressure sensors, sensors in 3 wheel wells and a control module that tells you which tires are low via a display(EVIC).

So my 2011 KK has the base system. The service manual says that for the base system a full size matching spare will come with a sensor. My spare is full size but it has a non matching steel rim. So I'm not sure if it has a sensor. The system does know that either the spare is rolling or the wheel I swapped out is not rolling.

Nothing in the manual about using a fifth sensor with 5 tire rotation.

post #4 of 31 Old 09-07-2020, 06:12 AM
lnistico

TPMS

My 2006 Liberty's Tire pressure warning light has been on since putting on new tires last week. I just purchased the vehicle and with the air pressure correct I guess I'll have to bring it into a dealership and have the system checked out.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-07-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Not nice. I read of people being able to get a free scan at some places, possibly parts or tire shops. That will at least tell you what needs to be fixed. Of course you still have to fix it or deal with the system lights and noises. When you've driven decades without tire pressure monitors this stuff really ticks you off and makes you never want to own a new vehicle. lol
post #6 of 31 Old 09-07-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So I was able to borrow a tpms scanner. I think it's to old to communicate with the OBD2 CAN bus in the 2011 KK and reprogram the tpms control module, but it did read the sensors. All 4 sensors were working and it said the battery voltages were ok. It did not detect a sensor in the spare so I will need to get one.

Now I need to figure out if the tpms control module will accept 5 sensors or if it only can be 4. Hopefully it's 5 otherwise I think it will need to be reprogrammed every time I rotate tires.
post #7 of 31 Old 09-07-2020, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Since the service manual says that a full size matching spare will have a sensor, I take that to mean the tpms control module will work with 5 sensors. I can't imagine they would have a different module based on whether you have a matching spare with sensor vs not having one.

It's possible that the module would need to be programmed to recognize the fifth sensor, but maybe not. I know it to automatically senses when I put the spare tire on and take it off. The warning light will be on or off depending of the spare is being used or not. Maybe it will just automatically detect the fifth sensor. I wouldn't count on it but that would be pretty nice.
post #8 of 31 Old 09-08-2020, 10:47 AM
lfhoward

2008 KK Liberty 

08 KK here, been running a 5 tire rotation since 2011. All 5 tires have a TPMS sensor and the Jeep keeps track of them as they spin. (Centrifugal force turns their transmitters on.) Thus, the spare doesn’t send out a signal, only the 4 tires actively in use. However, if you exchange the spare with a tire on an axle, you’ll need it to have a sensor inside.

Also, I’m running larger tires than stock (31’s) and a lift. Makes no difference to the TPMS sensors.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
4" JBA Lift & 245/75R16 BFG KO2's
ATH Recovery System & Roof Rack
post #9 of 31 Old 09-08-2020, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
08 KK here, been running a 5 tire rotation since 2011. All 5 tires have a TPMS sensor and the Jeep keeps track of them as they spin. (Centrifugal force turns their transmitters on.) Thus, the spare doesn’t send out a signal, only the 4 tires actively in use. However, if you exchange the spare with a tire on an axle, you’ll need it to have a sensor inside.

Also, I’m running larger tires than stock (31’s) and a lift. Makes no difference to the TPMS sensors.

Thanks for the confirmation on 5 tire/sensor rotation. Have you replaced sensors? Did the tpms module need to be programmed to recognize new sensors or did it recognize them automatically after a drive? I need to replace them along with tires since they are nearly 10 years old. Even though the scanner said the batteries were ok I have to imagine they are nearing the end of their life. Most sensors say 5-10 years battery life.
post #10 of 31 Old 09-08-2020, 10:44 PM
lfhoward

2008 KK Liberty 

I have had to replace tire sensors before. (Not personally, a shop did it.) The computer learns them automatically within 10 minutes of driving. Of course, the sensors had been preprogrammed to the right frequency. But no Jeep computer flash is needed.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
4" JBA Lift & 245/75R16 BFG KO2's
ATH Recovery System & Roof Rack
post #11 of 31 Old 09-09-2020, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you. If I can just buy the proper 315mhz sensors and the Jeep will recognize them automatically then that would be prefect. Well almost perfect since perfect would be not having to deal with the annoying system at all.

So the originals are going on 9-10 yeas old now. The meter says the batteries are ok. Since it takes me 10 years to go through a set of tires I need some sensors that have good battery life.

I looked up the Mopar part number 56029479AA and they appear to be exactly the same as the 315mhz Schrader 28308. The programmable Schrader EZ 33000 also appears identical. I'm think the Mopars are just rebranded Schraders.

So Mopar 56029479AA has been replaced with 68406530AA which appears to be exactly the same as the Schrader EZ 33500.
post #12 of 31 Old 09-09-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Any suggestions for sensors with a long battery life? Maybe I'll just get some Schraders.
post #13 of 31 Old 09-09-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Read that it is important to check the manufacturing date on the sensors before you install them. You don't want to put them in if they have been sitting around for a few years. Obviously the newer the better.
lnistico likes this.
post #14 of 31 Old 09-10-2020, 08:02 PM
daveb2

You HAVE TO clone the sensors or write the new code to the computer it WILL NOT learn them! You said you have a sensor reader, read the codes go to tire shop and let them clone them for you. Cloners start at about $100 if you want to purchase one. I purchased a Autel because mine are starting to fail,tire shop wanted $130 each. Autel clonables are about $30 plus the tool I will come out ahead.

Dave
post #15 of 31 Old 09-10-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I can clone several brands using the Snap On tool I borrowed, but will be adding a 5th sensor so sounds like I have to reprogram the computer to recognize the extra sensor. I'll look at the Autel or maybe have the tire shop program the computer since the Snap On is just a bit old and is not compatible with the CAN buss. It does everything previous to that though, darn it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in