Temporary fix for sky slider - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
KG4MXV
2011 KK Liberty 

Temporary fix for sky slider

Well After owning this KK 2012 with sky slider that was screwed down at the four corners.

It has started to leak really bad.

I noticed that the fabric was getting saturated and not repelling water.

So I got 6 cans of flex-seal black.
2 cans of flex-shot clear.
Some 1/2in wide 1/8 thick aluminum strips
Some 1 1/2 in long aluminum sheet metal screws.

Noticed that under the rubber seal there was nothing to seal to the body of the jeep.
So I put a bead of flex-shot under the rubber flap that contacts the body of the jeep and let that cure for a day.

The next day I masked off the roof from the fabric and man that fabric soaked up the flex-seal.
It took nearly 5 full cans to get good coverage.
I let that cure for 4 hours.
I took out the screws and put down a bead of flex-shot under the front and rear flaps that have a metal brace.
Used the new screws to screw them down. This time 4 screws each evenly spaced out.

Orig I was planing on 2in spacing on the screws to hold down the aluminum strips.
After starting one I noticed that 2in was too far apart , it started to bow up. So I had to go to 1 1/2 in.
Put another bead of flex-shot under the fabric side and the rubber seal then put on the aluminum strip.

Pre-drilling all these holes and driving those screws took a toll on me and the drill battery.
So I finished up one side and will have to go get more screws tomorrow and finish up.
Hopefully before TS Chris puts rain in my area later this week.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0381.jpg   IMG_0380.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
KG4MXV
2011 KK Liberty 

I hope this lasts until I can afford to get a roof skin and have it welded in and repainted.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 AM
2011 KK Liberty 

Man, your post brings it home to me. I also have a 2011 70th Liberty with a Sky Slider. My Jeep only has a little over 40,000 on it and for the most part everything including the Sky Slider works great even tho I don't use the Sky Slider for fear it will break. I really like the truck but I still think it would be best to sell it while everything is still working great. Unfortunately, there is not another truck out there that I like as much as I like the Liberty, even with all it's gremlins.

I have been thinking if the top ever started leaking I would replace it with a fiberglass top. I think that installing a fiberglass top would be very effective and way less of a hassle than welding in a metal top and having body work and paint to do after installing. A textured black fiberglass top with a rubber edge glued and bolted to the metal roof would work for me. It would have to be a clean job cause my Jeep looks new still and I want to keep the value up on it since I recently paid big $$$ for it.
Good Luck, Alan

Last edited by 2511; 07-10-2018 at 09:01 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
KG4MXV
2011 KK Liberty 

I would love to do a fiberglass top but that is almost as expensive as welding a new roof skin for me as I have never worked with fiberglass.

If some one would make a one and has produce it that would be great since Chrysler is going to do nothing over that POS
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 PM
2011 KK Liberty 

Just find a boat repair shop in your area. They work with fiberglass every day. I would guess they could form a rectangular top with the right curves and I bet it could be done for under $500.00 tops. I am handy enough to install it. If there was a way to leave the frame that holds the headliner in place as it is now, that would be a plus. If not, I could figure that out too.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
KG4MXV
2011 KK Liberty 

All finished.
I just need to clean up a bit of excess sealant.
Just in time for some rain to hit the raleigh area this week.
Used about 90 screws and 5 cans of flex-seal and 2 cans of cedar flex-shot.

Can't wait to take it out on the highway and see how much wind noise it has cut out.
I am thinking of getting some nylon pillow stuffing and putting it in between the cloth roof and the cloth headliner
to act as extra sound absorbing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0389.jpg   IMG_0390.jpg  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
KG4MXV
2011 KK Liberty 

Update.
I have taken it out on the Highway and put it up to 85 and wow what a difference in wind noise level.
It is almost like there isn't a cloth top at all.

And it has rained cats and dogs 5 times and not a drop leaked in.
I will call this a great result for a temp fix.

Well worth the Nearly $150.00 in materials.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in