Power door locks advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2021, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
cerenoc
2010 KK Liberty 

Power door locks advice

Hi all,
Hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with fixing my power door locks. The driver side switch fails to open the other doors, including the tailgate. All the other buttons for windows, mirrors work fine. The tailgate is especially painful because apparently there's no other way to open it. The dealer wants something like $170 just to diagnose the problem. Sounds like actually fixing it would be quite a bit more.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but decided to try the easy stuff. I checked the fuses, and they appear to be fine. I ordered a replacement switch on Amazon since that seemed cheap and easy to replace. Didn't solve the problem. As far as I understand, basically the only thing left and the most likely issue is some wire is broken somewhere in the door. I found what looks like the right wiring harness online. Couldn't find anything on youtube for harness replacement specifically, but from what I did see, the whole door needs to be taken apart which doesn't look trivial.

Any advice/ideas are welcome.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-19-2021, 07:54 AM
Ex-Calif
2012 KK Liberty 

Fortunately my KK hasn't ever had this problem but I have fixed a couple of vehicles. It was always the switch or the switch pack in case of drivers position.

You say you replaced "the switch" - Do you mean you changed the whole console of switches? I've found the whole consoles on eBay sellers in the past.

In 40 years of wrenching I've never seen a busted harness wire in the window system but it could happen. If it were me I would be flashing out the circuits with a volt meter before going too much further.

With the right tools door panels aren't that daunting to remove but the switch panels should come out the top without a need for door removal.

2012 Liberty Sport
WWII - Horses vs. Jeeps - 'nuff said...
post #3 of 5 Old 10-20-2021, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
cerenoc
2010 KK Liberty 

Yeah, I tried replacing the whole switch console but that didn't do anything. Yesterday, I took it to my local mechanic and he took the whole door apart and tested all the wiring. I've seen reports that wires tend to get busted inside the boot connecting the door to the cabin but it all seemed fine. I guess that leaves me with a potentially bad TIPM which I'm not willing to spend the money on.

I think I'm willing to live with it for a while as long as I figure out how to open the tailgate. The manual says that there is a way to open it but I can't seem to find reasonable directions for that. I can still open the glass window in the back. If I can just reach in there and open the tailgate that would be OK for a bit.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2021, 02:27 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its called a liftgate in the manual. On the inside trim panel there is a small snap-in cover. Unsnap it and you should be able to release the liftgate, I don't recall offhand if its a lever or pull cable. You may not be able to reach it from the window.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 5 Old 10-22-2021, 02:30 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

LATCH ACCESS PANEL: This panel provides access to the lift gate latch. If power is interrupted to the latch, then the lift gate can be opened manually by removing the access panel and pushing the latch release lever down.

NOTE: The latch access panel is located on the lift gate trim panel near the latch mechanism.

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the access panel.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in