New Owner - no start Help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-2020, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
dad2twins

New Owner - no start Help!

Just purchased a 2012 Jet for my sons. It has a starting problem- At times when you turn the key it simply clicks- So, being it was an old battery I replaced it. Nothing. Took to mechanic, replaced the starter-nothing- He ran it through some scan equipment to diagnos electrical. It pointed to bad or open wire in TIPM, so replaced that- still nothing. I have noticed if I tap the gear shift slightly it will then start. / Has anyone ever had this issue or no what could cause it? I dont want to keep throwing money ,swapping parts that are not required. I'm at it I'm at a loss !
Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2020, 07:04 PM
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Park neutral safety switch. If it starts in neutral and not park, that's where I'd go.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
dad2twins

I thought about that. But if it was that, it wouldnt make a click sound when key is turned, would it?
Thanks for your help

post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2020, 09:42 PM
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

I'd really start by checking for 12v on the starter solenoid when starting first and follow my voltages back if it was missing. You already threw the parts cannon at it. If it was me, I'd want to know what I'm missing where before I change something. These jeeps/dodges and the tipm fuse box makes troubleshooting electrical grimlins fun. Might have a case of the green crusties on a connector somewhere that is showing 12v, but not letting the needed current through.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 03-04-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
dad2twins

Thanks for your input- you were correct- bad/loose wire that slides into Solenoid. I dont know why they didnt check that first? Guess they wanted to bill me more- ie new starter, battery and TIPM .Now on to the other issues.....
Again thanks so much !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in