My heater blows cold - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-04-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

My heater blows cold

First off, Happy Independence Day to all.
I decided to celebrate by freshening up the 2011 Liberty Limited I bought a few months back.
One of the things I did was flush and replaced the radiator fluid. As I was driving around in 97 degree weather with my heater on full blast to purge the system I realized it was very comfortable in the Jeep with the windows rolled up because it seemed that the air conditioner was on even tho I had it turned off and everything was set to full on heater. When I got back home and pulled in the garage I saw the Jeep was leaking water where the condensation comes out and realized for sure the air was on but not full on. No heat.

I checked the lines going to the heater core and the in pipe was very hot and the out pipe hot but not extremely. No leaks from the heater core and the thermostat works. What would cause the air conditioner to stay on when I have the heater and fan cranked to high?
Would a door actuator make the air come on and get no heat?
Forgot to mention I have the Automatic Temperature Control model but I don't set them on automatic.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my long rambling, Alan

Last edited by 2511; 07-04-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 PM
lfhoward

2008 KK Liberty 

The blend door actuator controls the temperature, while the mode door actuator determines where the air comes out (face, feet, defrost). I would check your blend door actuator if I were you. It’s under the dash on the drivers side, on the right side of the footwell. The actuator is a motor in a black plastic box with wires going to it. There are two of these: the lower one is the blend door actuator. While the Jeep is on, watch the actuator while you change the temperature knob in the dash. You should see and hear the motor and gears working. Check this out and report back. 🙂

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
4" JBA Lift & 245/75R16 BFG KO2's
ATH Recovery System & Roof Rack
post #3 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

I will check the blend door actuator today but don't you have to manually push the temperature button to activate the air conditioning? If you don't push the button when it is set at it's lowest setting (60 something) it should be set at vent or outside air, right?
My air conditioning seems to go on without me pushing the air button when it is on heat mode.
There seems to be alot of little problems with these Jeeps. To bad cause I really like mine and it only has a little over 40,000 miles on it.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 PM
lfhoward

2008 KK Liberty 

The air conditioning shouldn’t come on without pressing the button, except when you have defrost selected. If defrost is on, the AC is on by default to dehumidify the air.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

Well, I think I may have found out my problem. I buttoned up all my servicing on my Jeep today and thought I would wait til tomorrow to check the heat/air actuator. I was looking for youtubes on other peoples experiences on dealing with the actuators when I ran across a youtube of a guy who put a new one on his liberty and it only worked all the way on cold and all the way on hot but nothing in between. He said he needed to get it calibrated in order for it to work right.
I went for a ride around the block and was fiddling with mine and realized mine would blow cool all the way up to the 75 degree mark and only till I pegged it on 80 did the heat kick in. I could turn it down to a little higher than 75 and the heat would stay on but when I hit 75 it went cool all the way down to 60ish and stayed the same temperature. Did it several times and had the same results.
I think the previous owners had it changed out but the mechanics never calibrated it. I am going to call the Jeep dealer tomorrow to see if they can calibrate it for me unless any of you Know how to do a home calibration with a screwdriver and a hammer cause I don't have any fancy calibration gear.
Later, Alan
post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 PM
lfhoward

2008 KK Liberty 

Please do post back about the calibration and how much the dealer charges for that. I hope that fixes the issue for you. The reason I ask is that my mode door gears are stripped and my HVAC is stuck on feet. I want to do the work myself but it sounds from your description like a dealer calibration would be needed afterwards for everything to work right. Fingers crossed that solves it for you.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Please do post back about the calibration and how much the dealer charges for that. I hope that fixes the issue for you. The reason I ask is that my mode door gears are stripped and my HVAC is stuck on feet. I want to do the work myself but it sounds from your description like a dealer calibration would be needed afterwards for everything to work right. Fingers crossed that solves it for you.
I checked with a few Jeep dealers in my area about calibrating my blend door actuator. I got prices ranging from $105.00 to $120.00. They are so busy fixing peoples Jeep air conditioning problems, I have to set up an appointment to get this simple procedure (for the dealer) done.
As I was playing around with my climate controls yesterday, I realized why my air would kick on even tho I did not turn it on.

I found out that when I set the knob that directs the air to floor, vent, defrost, is set on floor it kicks on my air compressor. I thought that it only kicks it on when you set it on defrost.
I can turn the knob to dead center, no matter what the symbol says on the knob, and the compressor is off but if I go past mid way the compressor kicks on.
Is that normal? Or will that be corrected with a re-calibration?

Last edited by 2511; 07-08-2018 at 06:19 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 08:02 AM
lfhoward

2008 KK Liberty 

That sounds like it needs calibration. It’s like the Jeep doesn’t know the correct position of the knob. Thanks for letting me know. I think this is in my future too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in