2Likes
  • 1 Post By paulvon
  • 1 Post By Pine_Cat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-13-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
TKP
2011 KK Liberty 

Coolant & oil leak confusion

I had another post about my issue, but as I researched more, I am now second guessing my diagnosis. Can sometime set me straight or help me understand?

I have a coolant leak, I assumed it was from my water pump. I fill my reservoir tank and within a week it is empty. My car never overheats, the thermometer hasn't even gone past the middle of the gauge. From what I've read, most people who have issue with their water pump also have an overheating jeep. Does this indicate my pump is fine, put maybe my gasket is culprit? Or could it be leaking elsewhere? (It leaks from the front middle of my engine, but I haven't been able to track it down further.)

I also have a decent oil leak. My jeep always has had a small oil drip, but its gotten worse within the past 6 mos. Could these 2 issues be related? It also leaks from the middle of my engine.

The coolant is neon green when I put it in, but after driving it turns pink. Why?

I will admit my knowledge of either of these systems isn't great, so any guidance is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 PM
tomknight

2011 KK Liberty 

On my KJ, I had a coolant temp sensor that was old, and the gasket on it wore out, and I had to replace. It took me awhile to find that one. It is on the bottom side of the expansion tank.

There aren't that many things that leak coolant - radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat is about it. You just have to climb in and under and try to see where the drips originate - high, low, middle, front.

As for oil leak, that could be anything. How many miles? And can tell at all what part of the engine it's coming from?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 PM
f.rock

i'm not an expert but coolant turning pink sounds like trans fluid getting in there.
i'm not sure about our jeeps but on older cars, the trans cooler was in the radiator. if the trans cooler leaked, it mixed w/ the coolant...I hope that's not your problem.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 08:28 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't actually recall seeing a neon green HOAT before. Are you sure that coolant was engineering for DC Jeeps?

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)
post #5 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
TKP
2011 KK Liberty 

Still dealing with this/haven't had time or money to fix it, and realized I never followed up. Also have a host of TIPM issues that I deal with, this dang Jeep.

Realized I have not been using HOAT coolant, hence the neon green (how much damage have I done!?).

Bought an OEM replacement for the water pump, the coolant leak appears to becoming from the gasket or pump. I've got 100k miles on my 2011, so why not just replace the pump if I am going to replace the gasket.

When I got my oil last changed, they said I have a noticeable engine oil, transmission, and differential leaks. The trans and diff are both due to be flushed.

If I have transfer fluid mixing with my coolant, what other symptoms would I have (in other words, how can I diagnose that or rule that out?).
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2020, 10:47 AM
paulvon

On the coolant make sure to do a really good flush. When the different types of coolant mix they form something that clogs up the radiator.

I have seen that changing the diff fluid will stop a leaking axel.

Make sure that you check the transfer case fluid while you are looking at things.

You also may want to get a second opinion on what is being said.

Jeeps are known for leaks. Be careful not to spend a lot of money on a little leak.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Pine_Cat likes this.

1997 ZJ 4.0 L - Upgraded to heavy 93 sway bar
2004 WJ 4.7 L - 2 1/2" lift
2011 KK 3.7 L
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 10:20 PM
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

I had the same exact issue your having, same leak in the same exact place. It took me a while to finally trace the leak and it turned out to be the water pump. I bought a new OEM pump from Steve White Motors in North Carolina and replaced the original pump and all has been good since. I strongly recommend replacing the thermostat while you are in there, much easier to do with the radiator out and it's right there.

2011 KK Sport 4X4/Dark Charcoal Pearlcoat
2017 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited/Granite Crystal Metallic
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2020, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
TKP
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks all.

Good to know about the thermostat.

Is a coolant flush something I can do once I replace the water pump? Or best to take to a mechanic for? (I guess same question for my other fluids? I'm on a slim budget.)

Also would this problem drop my gas mileage? I've noticed a significant drop in my gas mileage lately. I'm assuming it's my leaking water pump pulling more power? It still drives smooth.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 10:33 PM
DragoneFire
2011 KK Liberty 

I also had the same leak. It seems that the water pump also shares a gasket with the engine if i remember right as it was still under a warranty from the dealer and didn't do the work myself as i normally do
post #10 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKP View Post
Is a coolant flush something I can do once I replace the water pump?
With the new 5-year coolants like the Zerex G-05 HOAT used in our Liberties, you don't need to be perfectionist about the flush, so you can definitely do at home (so long as using the recommended coolant).

The 5-year coolants seem to be a lot more effective at inhibiting corrosion, so you basically just need to do a drain and refill to replenish the anti-corrosion additives.
Gypsy1 likes this.

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2020, 07:52 AM
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

I would do the coolant flush prior to replacing the pump.

2011 KK Sport 4X4/Dark Charcoal Pearlcoat
2017 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited/Granite Crystal Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in