Am I Driving a Ticking Time Bomb? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

Am I Driving a Ticking Time Bomb?

Hello,
This would be my first thread since joining this forum other than one question that I've asked another member.
Anyhow, I recently purchased 2011 Liberty Limited 70th anniversary with 40,000 miles on it. It was a one owner who seemed to have kept it up nicely and had all oil changes and such done by the dealer they bought it from. It is equipped with many options including the dreaded Sky Slider (I have read).
As of now, everything works reasonably well including the Sky Slider.
After reading all that seems to go wrong with this car/truck I am wondering if I have made the wrong decision purchasing this truck.
I really like the way it runs and it really looks good. I had a 500 mile drive to get it home from the dealer I bought it from and it drove great at hiway speeds. No problem.
I paid, what I would consider, top dollar for it but now I am questioning myself on whether to let it go before something catastrophic happens.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance, Alan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2018, 12:13 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

close hole in roof aka leak waiting to happen. keep it closed.
OR Study up on system stock up on parts,

only 70k and regular maintenance that sound good.

sounds like typical buyers remorse.

get out of town with the jeep - enjoy think positive

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

Heck,
I've already decided not to use the Sky Slider. I have actually been thinking about making a fiberglass roof to take the place of the Sky Slider if and when it breaks. More like when it breaks from what I have been reading.
I can deal with the Sky Slider but all the electrical issues and cheap plastic parts that operate the windows issues are starting to concern me. From what I have read it will be a coin toss on whether I have a major problem or not with this truck.
I bought a new Jeep Wrangler back in 2003 with a very trustworthy 4.0L inline 6 and never thought twice about any problems from that Jeep.
This one is different.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2018, 02:12 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

everyone loved those 4.0L was a long lived engine.

I am in agreement PW, heated seats, power mirrors, door locks, are problems waiting to happen. But that is what sells - what will fail its a crap shoot - pun intended .

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-20-2018, 04:49 PM
KG4MXV
2011 KK Liberty 

In reality we are all driving time bombs.
Nothing lasts forever.
Yes I have the almost exact model and year.
Yes I saw the low price on the sticker due to the sky slider being INOP and screwed down at
the four corners.
Trutn be told if I did better research before buying I would have not bought it.
But I have and every time I drive it I enjoy it more.
Yes I did have a weird problem with the TIPM but just about all chrysler products have.
But I found a great serve that has remanufactured TIPM's and flashes them with your vin
and it is a somewhat easy swap out.

I see it like any other vehicle you only et out of it what you put into it.
If you take care of it it should take care of you.
I do plan on doing a great deal of mods to mine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0141.jpg  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

I bought mine 500 miles away from home so all I had was the pictures, which were pretty good and talking to the salesman. I had him put it on the lift to check for rust, etc. I knew it had a sunroof cause it was open during a picture. I could not see that it was a convertible top and not a regular sunroof. Needless to say when my wife and I arrived by plane to do the deal did I realize it was the Sky Slider which I had never seen before.
You don't know what you don't know.
It works good and the wife liked it so I bought it. I did my research when we got home on the slider and found out what a problem they are with no real fix. Then buyers remorse set in pretty good.
I never thought I would see a Liberty with a solid top and be envious.
Like you mentioned, to many bells and whistles packed into these Jeeps to go out.
Everytime I drive it, I like it alot so let the chips fall where they may.
Alan
post #7 of 8 Old 04-21-2018, 06:14 AM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

If you read about any vehicle on some forums you'll only the worst.
I buy what I like, do regular maintenance and enjoy them and never worry
I bought an 04 brand new, an 02 with 97,000 ( and then sold later ) an 03 with 78,000 and 05 with 80,000. Still have the 03-04-05 and having fun. Don't listen to the naysayers , like I said if you believe all you read you'd be riding a horse. Don't care what brand it is.
As far as the 4.0 straight 6 LOL sure they ran a while as long as you repaired cracked headers, oil leaks and various other problems. I had 3 XJs I bought brand new all had just as many little glitches as the KKs have, maybe more

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
2011 KK Liberty 

Tommudd,
You're the man. Made me feel better about my purchase just reading your response. Your right, no matter what forum or make of car, there are some kind of problems with the vehicles in question.
Other than the ill fated Sky Slider (which works good now) my Liberty runs great and I'll just keep up with the regular maintenance and drive it till something breaks.
Thanks, Alan
By the way, this is it minus the nerf bars.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep liberty.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in