08 kk rear and front gear oil questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-28-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Ghostly

08 kk rear and front gear oil questions

Hello everyone I’m new here so I hope I get this right! I have basic mechanic knowledge. Every one said this is the place to ask all the questions, I have been checking all over online but to no avail. So it’s a 2008 liberty limited edition sport 4x4 and the owners never changed the gear oil. It has around 120k miles on it. I seen in the owners manual the rear takes 75w-140 synthetic and the front is 80w90 multi purpose gl-5 type (not sure what that means) The thing I’m confused on is most bottles say that I may need to add a slip lock oil additive? And some say not to add the additive but some people say it’s not enough. I’m not sure if I have limited slip or the name jeep calls it like trac lok, I heard Amsoil is the best gear oil but I could be wrong it’s just going to be a daily driver to work and family vehicle no towing or off road any thoughts? I would hate to trash it by adding new oil and having too much or to little slip additive. I plan on taking good care care of it too. Thank you all in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-29-2019, 07:00 AM
lfhoward

2008 KK Liberty 

All of the KK’s came with open differentials and limited slip additive is not needed. The KK uses the antilock brakes to achieve traction when a wheel is spinning, thus nothing special is inside the diffs. It’s called BLD or Brake Lock Differential. On some of the older KJ’s a limited slip differential called the trac-lock used to be an option and that would have needed an additive.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Ghostly

Thank you ifhoward for the reply and sharing your knowledge you helped me out greatly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in