InProgress

Email Bookmark Print
dietcokehead

Jeep Information

Year:1990

Engine:none

Transmission:AX15

Transfer Case:NP241J

Hello everyone. I am new here but been building or trying to build a 1990 4banger to straight 6 conversion. been thru about 4 donors that never worked due to electrical stuff each time.

I just got a 1986 CJ7 carborated straight six engine 5speed which I want. Based on all the other problems I have had trying to get electronics to work I want to use this as my donor. Can I use this as a base to get rid of fuel injection (if an EMP ever hits I "should" be good) to go carborator - will I be able to get rid of the computer to power my dash with just the essential stuff or did I waste money buying it today?

I am no mechanic, I am a cyber security guy so laymens terms will help me out

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

Laxdad24
View Laxdad24's Jeep
05-26-2021, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokehead View Post
Hello everyone. I am new here but been building or trying to build a 1990 4banger to straight 6 conversion. been thru about 4 donors that never worked due to electrical stuff each time.

I just got a 1986 CJ7 carborated straight six engine 5speed which I want. Based on all the other problems I have had trying to get electronics to work I want to use this as my donor. Can I use this as a base to get rid of fuel injection (if an EMP ever hits I "should" be good) to go carborator - will I be able to get rid of the computer to power my dash with just the essential stuff or did I waste money buying it today?

I am no mechanic, I am a cyber security guy so laymens terms will help me out

Should work fine. Worst case ...eliminate the computer to the motor by going old school Hot Rod and use an MSD ignition, coil and distributor. Just hard wire it your self It’s not that hard. I have an 87 YJ that has the 4.2. When I got it electric was a mess. Solved those peons with MSD. Also I removed the “computer” totally on mine. Dash and gauges work fine. I added some gauges actually. Good luck. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome