1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad426

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
overdrive87
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Vibration and creaking sound

A couple of weeks ago I started hearing an intermittent creaking sound whenever I put the transmission into Drive. The duration of the creaking sound was short, less than half a second. At first I wasn't sure it was anything to worry about, but now my steering wheel vibrates whenever I put my foot on the accelerator. When I let up off the gas, the intensity of the vibration instantly decreases. As I'm coasting with my foot off the gas, I can still sort of feel it, but it's significantly less. Also, around the time the creaking sound started, I heard a sound which sounded like something going around, kind of like how a belt sounds when it's failing. I just had a new belt put on late last year, but I checked it anyway, and it still looks brand new.

Also, it constantly wants to pull to the right. A couple of years ago I had it serviced, and the technician told me that they tried to align and balance the front tires, but said they couldn't completely. So he said it's possible the frame or something is slightly bent. I had not known that prior to buying the vehicle, because it wasn't a salvaged title, and as far as I could find, there was no record of accident with the vehicle.

Anyway, since it isn't the belt, I'm afraid it might be something to do with either a wheel, steering system, or a structural support part. I checked the transmission fluid, and it was a little under the minimum for "hot". I'll put some in it later today or tomorrow when the wind dies down a little (without driving it). Right now it's so windy that I had moderate difficulty just opening my front door lol. I wouldn't be as worried if it was a transmission problem, but my biggest concern is safety. I'm worried that the Jeep will break on the highway, causing a wreck. However, I'm far from an expert. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

Take it to the limit one more time.

2005 stock KJ Liberty 3.7L Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Brad426

Garage
That's a strange one. I'd suggest spending a few $'s and have it put up on the hoist and looked at very closely by a licensed pro. Do you say the past tech could not completely do an alignment or balance the tires? You were not clear. I would be concerned if it was alignment.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
overdrive87
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Sorry for the late reply. I need to get a new router; my network has been going out lately. Anyway, because I was concerned that it might be a safety issue, I took it to a professional. and he said it was the U-joint on the rear drive shaft. Yeah, several years ago I had my Liberty in the shop. I don't remember exactly how he put it, something like they aligned the front tires the best they could, but that it wasn't straight. He had raised the possibility of a twisted or bent frame or something like that. It's been so long, the details are fuzzy.

Take it to the limit one more time.

2005 stock KJ Liberty 3.7L Sport

post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Brad426

Garage
Sell it!
02blue likes this.

Tags
creaking , liberty , sound , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in