Was told to replace engine on 2006 liberty, that was November 2018. Currently still d - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
ramonas3333

Was told to replace engine on 2006 liberty, that was November 2018. Currently still d

Was told replace engine when wouldnt start. Had towed to a different shop that disnt know we were told to replace engine. They were asked to try to get it running and let us no prognoses. They did an oil change, tune up and diagnoses. Got it running said it had radiater or coolant leak, oil leak and bunch other stuff. Anyone with same problem?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

What engine? How many miles on it? How is it driven? Short trips, long trips? How often are oil changes done? How often are tune ups done? What climate is it driven in?

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #3 of 5 Old 08-24-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
ramonas3333

We had oil changes done regularly, its driven in Minnesota. Daily commute 20 t0 50 mi , every couple months 500 mi to so. Dakota and back. 3.6 clylander. Still runs rough depending on the day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 Old 08-24-2019, 08:58 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What diagnostic data confirms that the engine requires replacement ? Seems to me somebody at that shop had a boat payment they needed to make, and picked you as the sucker to provide the cash.

Routine maintenance to deal with worn out parts and minor leaks such as the coolant system and oil seals are common with older vehicles.

Are all of the tune-up parts fresh and have all of the engine sensors been tested ? Genuine Jeep engine sensors work better and last longer the cheap Chinese garbage the auto parts stores recommend.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 AM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

Do you have any check lights on in the dash?

One word on the tune-up, the spark plugs should be Champion 347's or AC Delco 41602. For best results do not use platinum plugs in 3.7 or 4.7 Power Tech engines. Rock Auto or Auto Zone may have a platinum plug that fits, but don't use it. The 3.7/4.7 were designed for copper plugs and have to be changed at 30,000 miles or so. I tried platinum in mine and it ran rough, especially at idle. Copper is more conductive and outperforms platinum or iridium. Platinum was designed to do nothing more than extend plug changes. IDK bout iridium plugs in Power Techs. I only run copper now.

From Allpar on the 3.7:
Quote:
The engine was designed for Champion copper spark plugs, and reportedly does not work well with platinum plugs. Tester Marc Rozman wrote:

I did the spark plug testing for Champion when they came in; I was doing calibration work for the 3.7 with engineer Brian Crothers, a sharp guy. We installed their instrumented plugs in different heat ranges to determine the appropriate ones to use for production. They thanked us for building an engine that fits their most common spark plug. I am not sure if there were engineering reasons for the use of the copper vs platinum, the engines these days do not wear the plugs out like the older days; cost may have been the major factor. Personally, I had heard that the Champions were not the best, so I used to use the A/C plugs for my tune-ups.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in