tire pressure sensors 2005 Liberty - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
napa1

tire pressure sensors 2005 Liberty

I have a couple of tire sensor's that are now bad and show as a warning on the instrument panel. It is my daily driver and I do check my tire pressure on a regular basis. Is there any way to shut off this dash warning?? If my wife or daughter were driving it I would spend the money to replace but since I am the only driver I feel it is an unneeded expense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-2019, 03:47 PM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

Well.... first, a note to the Federal Government: this isn't a 2007 or later vehicle and all advice given is not implying the reader will do it, nor am I responsible. Don't arrest me bro!

Seriously though, here's the deal. The TPMS units in the tires aren't serviceable. They have to be replaced if you want the system to work again. A tire shop may or may not replace them with standard valve stems. Tell them Federal law says TPMS is only required on 2007 and later vehicles. Typically they will not replace TPMS with standard stems. They can get in trouble. Unless you take the tires unmounted and tell them it is for something other than a TPMS vehicle.

Next, there is no way for you to disable the system. If the dealer or tuner could do it, it would cost you more than the vehicle's worth because this system is enabled with software and requires special magically programming stuff the dealer probably doesn't have. No one will have the code to false out the TPMS command line. And they'll probably tell you it is against the law to disable a TPMS system.

So, you have two options. Take the instrument panel out. It's easy to do. Then you can take the cluster apart and get rid of the TPMS bulb. Or, the easier way is to take off the plastic lens and paint over the TPMS tire light with black nail polish. I vote for the nail polish.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #3 of 8 Old 10-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Brad426

Garage
Gidday from Canada. I can't believe the US federal government has a law regarding TPMS. I'm going to look into it here in Canada and see if there is anything that specifically addresses TPMS.

I was wondering if the USA law is a blanket law that covers OEM installed safety devices or specifically targets TPMS?

Also regarding the "quick fix". My first choice if I was the sole driver would be to remove the serviceable bulb and replace it with a burned out bulb. BTW I'm not condoning a felony crime here. I was a federal aviation accident investigator. Both military and civilian and have see where these thing can go sideways.

Here's my reasoning. Just suppose and I hope nothing like this happens to anyone ever. You removed the bulb or blacked out the lens in the dash. There was an accident where your tire blew out and a school bus full of kids were killed. The investigation found that the cause of the accident was 100% caused by the tire blow out on your Libby due to tire pressure. A savvy investigator would start digging and discover that your Libby has a OEM installed TPMS. The investigator discovers that the TPMS bulb was missing or the TPMS lens was covered in black nail polish/paint. In other words, the safety warning system was tampered with. It would be like shooting ducks in a rain barrel for the plaintive's lawyers. A burned out bulb would buy you deniability. Your doing the right thing my checking your tire pressure regularly. Just saying.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-26-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
napa1

Thanks for the reply, at least some options but none that interest me in doing. really appreciate the response. Again, thanks to all. the NAPA Man
post #5 of 8 Old 10-26-2019, 12:13 PM
Mr. Baja

2019 MP Compass 

Do what I used to do....put a small sticker over it!

Mr. Baja

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2019, 07:50 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
Gidday from Canada. I can't believe the US federal government has a law regarding TPMS. I'm going to look into it here in Canada and see if there is anything that specifically addresses TPMS.

I was wondering if the USA law is a blanket law that covers OEM installed safety devices or specifically targets TPMS?
Yes, apparently the government doesn't trust that we have enough air in our tires! Apparently they also think tires that are 4psi under-inflated make your car go from 30mpg to 5mpg. It is specific for TPMS. It is mandatory on 2007 and later. Before that if your car had it you could get rid of it as it was an 'option' not a mandated item. So, yes the OP could dump his TPMS system legally, but Discount Tire isn't gonna do it. OP has three options: fix it, ignore the tire light, or tape over the bulb.

I've taken apart the KJ cluster, and the warning light bulbs are surface mount LED's and not replaceable without electronics skills. Every warning light is installed, the computer just tells which one to light up. Taping over the bulb is the only way to make it go away without installing a non-TPMS computer. The wiring diagrams don't show much in the way of TPMS. It is all wireless and integrated circuit stuff.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
napa1

Thanks for the info on surface mount LED's, I guess I won't take instrument cluster out as I had planned to do today. It is not too difficult of a job to do, just a little time.
thanks NAPA Man
post #8 of 8 Old 11-02-2019, 07:07 PM
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

Batteries are only good for 5 - 10 years...i plan on replacing all 5 of mine from rock auto when i return from vacation. They seem to have the best prices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in