Show pictures of where you mounted your cb/ham radio and antenna - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-29-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
overdrive87
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Show pictures of where you mounted your cb/ham radio and antenna

I've been trying to decide where to put my Cobra 29LTD Classic mobile CB (until I get my ham radio license, then I'm going to mount my Icom IC-208H), as well as the antenna. I just wanted to see where KJ owners mounted their CBs/ham radios and their antennas out of curiosity.

Once I install mine, I'll post pictures. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing all your pictures!

Take it to the limit one more time.

2005 stock KJ Liberty 3.7L Sport

Last edited by overdrive87; 09-29-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Adding links for pictures/specs of my radios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Never mounted a cb in the jeep, but I have one somewhere I can always lay in the seat. Ham radio, well my first radio, a 2m yaesu, I mounted on the passenger side of the center console, in front of the passenger seat. I eventually upgraded to a dual band radio with a detached head. The head is mounted to a suction cup device on the windshield. The body of the radio is in back, in a plastic ammo case that allows easy removal for portable use. I have a rig runner located under the driver seat to power various devices, including my HF radio when I have it along. There are several places to mount an antenna. The roof is the best place to mount a 2m/440 antenna via an NMO mount, and that's where I put mine. Some make a mount and place it under the cowl. HF antennas, including CB, I made a mount in back. Took some angle iron, drilled some holes and secured it with the spare tire mount. Also bonded the mount to the tailgate, and tailgate to body. There is some posts, including one I started in the electronics and radio section. What's keeping you from testing now?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
overdrive87
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Cool, I think I'm going to mount my CB antenna somewhere on the spare tire mount. I'm making a wooden mount to put under the steering wheel. I think it's cool that the plastic piece under the steering while folds down and slides off to the left. It's super easy to remove and put back. It took me a little while to figure out where to start. I didn't like it being in the way, and under the steering wheel is out of the way. I don't know if I'll have enough posts to post my picture of when it's done. If not, I wonder if I can just post a link to the picture.

Can you post some pictures of your antenna mount? Thanks!

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2016, 05:50 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Under the steering wheel will pose a danger in case of a collision. You'll lose your legs in a frontal collision. No, you don't plan on getting into one, but few ever do.

Notice the spring mount. When using them, you must shorten the antenna length an equal amount to get it to tune. Also not seen is the braided strap that I added to bond the angle iron to tailgate. Cant use regular wire, you have to use braided straps. This helps with noise reduction and tuning
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
overdrive87
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Under the steering wheel will pose a danger in case of a collision. You'll lose your legs in a frontal collision. No, you don't plan on getting into one, but few ever do.

Notice the spring mount. When using them, you must shorten the antenna length an equal amount to get it to tune. Also not seen is the braided strap that I added to bond the angle iron to tailgate. Cant use regular wire, you have to use braided straps. This helps with noise reduction and tuning
Awesome, thanks for your pictures. I'm going to Menards tomorrow morning to look for some metal to use for the mount. The spare tire mount is probably the easiest place to mount the antenna, but it would be in the way whenever I want to pop the rear window open. I'm thinking about using a long piece of metal to mount to the spare tire mount which will be far enough to the driver side so that I can open the window. I'm also thinking about mounting it to the driver side mirror area.

Also, that's a good point about putting the CB under the steering wheel. I'll move it tomorrow.

Btw, how long is your antenna?

post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2016, 10:20 AM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive87 View Post
Awesome, thanks for your pictures. I'm going to Menards tomorrow morning to look for some metal to use for the mount. The spare tire mount is probably the easiest place to mount the antenna, but it would be in the way whenever I want to pop the rear window open. I'm thinking about using a long piece of metal to mount to the spare tire mount which will be far enough to the driver side so that I can open the window. I'm also thinking about mounting it to the driver side mirror area.

Also, that's a good point about putting the CB under the steering wheel. I'll move it tomorrow.

Btw, how long is your antenna?
You won't be able to go any further to the left on the tailgate, due to how the tailgate is hinged and swings. To go much further to clear the glass, and you'll hit the vehicle body. Where I put it gives a compromise, and clears the glass the best. The reason for the spring mount, is so I can pull on the antenna and give the glass room, though I typically open the tailgate partway too. On the driverside mirror area, the mirror and its mount aren't strong enough for an hf antenna. You would have to do a fender mount, and that is even harder. Now 2m/440 antennas, not a lot of wind load, so you could try to mount it between the mirror and door, but then you run into grounding issues for the antenna, and the plastic in the mirror may not provide enough of an anchor for the mirror mount fasteners. Some remove the cowl, make a mount there and drill a small hole for the antenna to pass thru. It actually looks clean when done right. I went thru my roof for that antenna, and it gives the best ground plane possible for it. As for antenna, the one you see in a couple of pics is an mfj 1610. Its about 7ft long total. It's for 10m frequencies, but with the spring mount it puts it closer to the 11m(cb) frequencies. I'm starting to do HF stuff, and that requires better antennas and longer, so you wouldn't use such animals unless you get your general or extra class license. If you aren't running a whip, then 5' or 6' for a cb antenna would be the next best choice. Be aware some offroad groups don't want such a long antenna due to the risk to bystanders.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Joenavy85
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have a CB (can't remember the make and model off the top of my head) and a Yaesu FT-8900 quad band mobile HAM radio mounted up in my KJ. The CB is mounted on the right side of the center console just far enough forward to clear the passenger seat. The 8900 is mounted above the rear seats on a board that hangs from the grab handles via 2 U-Bolts with lock nuts, with the faceplate remote mounted right above the rear view mirror. The antennas are both on the roof utilizing 3/4" NMO mounts. I only use 2m and 70cm currently, both operated through a bottom/center loaded whip antenna. The CB is run through a bottom loaded whip. I'll eventually get a brass ball mount to put on the passenger side for a 6m/10m whip, but I'll hold off on that until I have my general license.

Tags
antenna , cb , mount , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in