Replacing front upper and lower ball joints? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-26-2021, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
HerronScott

Garage
Replacing front upper and lower ball joints?

Hi,

We have 2002 Liberty that needs upper and lower ball joints. Would love it if someone could provide some guidance on how difficult this is? I've read about the uppers which don't appear too bad except need long extension/swivel for driver's side (and remove battery), but concerned about doing the lowers. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to take it to someone to press the old one out and new one in (my brother might be able to get someone to do this at his work), but not sure about pulling the steering knuckle. Never had a 4WD vehicle before so not sure how hard it is to remove it from the front axle.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Scott

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2021, 02:30 PM
Brad426

Garage
I suggest taking it to a reputable shop. These so called simple jobs can get complicated fast and complicated Leeds to $$$$$$$$$$$$

post #3 of 3 Old 09-27-2021, 05:13 PM
mercdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Hi,

We have 2002 Liberty that needs upper and lower ball joints. Would love it if someone could provide some guidance on how difficult this is? I've read about the uppers which don't appear too bad except need long extension/swivel for driver's side (and remove battery), but concerned about doing the lowers. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to take it to someone to press the old one out and new one in (my brother might be able to get someone to do this at his work), but not sure about pulling the steering knuckle. Never had a 4WD vehicle before so not sure how hard it is to remove it from the front axle.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Scott

Itís doable but not as easy as a passenger car. Rent a 4wd ball joint tool and you should be able to get the lower ball joint in. I slowly hammered mine into the press fit joint of the knuckle with a small sledge, thatís before I realized you could rent the 4wd ball joint tool from autozone. Anyways, itís doable but laborious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in