Rear wiper motor inop. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RussB81
  • 1 Post By RussB81

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
mogator

Rear wiper motor inop.

I'm having trouble troubleshooting an inop. rear wiper motor, I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with this problem. The motor was replaced already I know that doesn't always mean the new motor isn't bad. My wiring diagram shows a red wire coming from fuse # 17 and is hot all the time. Fuse 17 is good and the wire does not have power at the plug to the motor. I ran a jumper from the battery to the plug at the motor and still nothing. There is a Brown/Green wire that is hot when the wiper switch is on The ground is good. There is a flip-up glass switch that runs to the motor it had continuity between both terminals at all times. Could this be my problem. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2019, 08:27 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

Here is the diagram for an '04. It is from Mitchell which is better than Chilton or Haynes. Your wire colors may be slightly different but the wiring wouldn't be. Check the flip up window switch, but if you aren't getting power at pin 5 at all times you have an open wire. Best bet to fix that is run a new wire. I'm pretty sure those wires run under the floor, and finding the break is virtually impossible if it isn't at the j-box or in the tail gate.

Seeing how the tailgate moves, I'd check the tailgate wiring. The wire jacket is probably still intact, but internally the strands are broke. This is a very common issue with Mopars. I have fixed the wiring in so many of the Chrysler/Dodge minivans (especially 2008+ type) because of the crap wiring they use in the doors. Sometimes you can splice or solder the break back together, other times you have splice in a new wire section.

The rear motor has some gate logic. So, just running a hot wire to it isn't going to make it turn on. You would have to apply inputs to pins 1 & 3 (ground), and pins 2 & 5 (12V), and that should make the motor turn on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04KJWiperWD.pdf (322.7 KB, 3 views)
Brad426 likes this.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #3 of 4 Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
mogator

I'm not sure what you mean by " gate logic" Running a wire from the battery to the #5 terminal the same as replacing the wire temporarily? I'm back to the flip switch, it shows continuity to ground at all times no matter what position the switch is in which is wrong according to the diagram. It seems I have more than one problem.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 07:30 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

Running a wire from battery to Pin 5 is like replacing the wire. Tackle the issue one at a time. Remove the flip up switch and break the connection. If the wiper works you know it is a bad switch. Also, on the flip up switch only one side will always be ground. If both sides are ground at all times regardless if the window is up or down the switch is bad.
If the switch doesn't fix it then move on to the wiring.

The rear wiper has an internal circuit. My easy answer for gate logic is that it is like a combination lock. You have to have the right combination of inputs to allow an output. So if you bench test the motor you will need 12v on pin 2 and 5, ground on pin 1, and then pin 3 (the flip up switch input) could be either open or ground. I'm not sure if the BCM is looking for a ground or open for the flip up switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04KJRearWiperConnector.pdf (147.2 KB, 6 views)
Brad426 likes this.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in