Rear drive shaft question ? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RussB81

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
mattc9391

Rear drive shaft question ?

I bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty renegade a few months back. I just had bad vibrations driving start a few weeks ago. Took rear drive shaft off and figured out the rear u joint seized. Replaced both u joints and fixed my issue. My question here is I never did this before and my friend hammered this big round part of the rear drive shaft and cracked it. Should I be worried? I’m going to attach a pic. It hasn’t gotten worse I’m also wondering if it serves any purpose and if I could just remove it so I don’t think about it anymore. I could buy a used drive shaft for like 60 bucks but I’d rather not seeing as how I went thru all the trouble of replacing the u joints that are brand new. I’m going to attach a pic of what I’m talking about. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
8E3E5A14-4386-4E11-A0E2-DBC8B6DE0FF3_1562810915846.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

This is a damper/balancer. Some guys take it off anyway. If you start to get vibrations again replace it. At this point you might as well remove it entirely so it doesn't become shrapnel under your Jeep. I read a post over on Lostjeeps awhile back about the same issue.

Honestly from an engineering standpoint most dampers not on the front of an engine are used to cover up bad design, or are a way to use of lower quality part materials in order to cut costs. Costs outweigh precision in engineering these days. I know.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Brad426

REPLACE the drive shaft with a new one or a used one. Do not drive it the way to is. It's dangerous !

Honestly from an aircraft engineers point of view dampeners have a place. Do you think the manufacturer would design, manufacture and install something they did not have too. The do it because they have to and that cost money and adds weight. In a perfect world there would be complete balance of rating mass but, we don't live there. There is a big difference between a harmonic balancer on a crankshaft in a engine and a vibration dampener on a rotating shaft AKA drive shaft. I can't say 100% why the balancer is there but, I would suggest it is there for a reason. Just suppose you remove it. You have changed the dynamics and that might cause unwanted vibrations or even loads elsewhere in the drive line. It might cause premature failure of the pinion gear bearing in the rear end. Who knows.

Bee safe.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 01:13 PM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...=51042&start=0

Here is the Lost Jeeps post. A lot of vehicles don't use dampers on the driveshaft. They will sometimes use little weights instead. The inherent clunkiness of off road suspensions could be a reason they used this. In the design stage of the Liberty the managers wanted a RAV4 but the engineers wanted a Jeep.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
mattc9391

Is it possible to remove the dampener or balancer or whatever put one off another driveshaft on there? I really don’t wanna fool with the u joints. Any tips? I can get a rear drive shaft from my local junkyard for 65 bucks. Take the one off there and put it on mine.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 AM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'd just throw the junkyard one on. At this point in time I find the junkyard parts are better than what my Libby is rolling around with.
Brad426 likes this.

'04 KJ
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Brad426

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB81 View Post
I'd just throw the junkyard one on. At this point in time I find the junkyard parts are better than what my Libby is rolling around with.
I would do the same and if your carful you can remove the new u-joints from the damaged drive shaft and install on the replacement drive shaft. Always check the splines in the drive shaft and lub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in