Problem with A?C in Liberty 2002 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
tstream

Problem with A?C in Liberty 2002

The A/C will work fine for 15-20 minutes then it will blow out luke warm air, if I shut the A/C off for a minute or two then turn the A/C back on it will blow cold air again, any suggestions? Liberty 2002 sport, 6 cylcinder, 3.7.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstream
The A/C will work fine for 15-20 minutes then it will blow out luke warm air, if I shut the A/C off for a minute or two then turn the A/C back on it will blow cold air again, any suggestions? Liberty 2002 sport, 6 cylcinder, 3.7.

Compressor might be getting hot and shutting down. Might be a switch or something mis-directing air flow and it is turning the heater on. Just guessing here.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
post #3 of 10 Old 04-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Flynjp

2011 JK Wrangler 

Might need a few more details to make a good guess. Is the compressor running all the time for the 15 or 20 minutes or is it cycling on and off? If it is running all the time your evaporator could be icing up. Does the airflow get lower as the air temp gets warmer? This could indicate an icing up evap. When you shut the A/C off the evap de-ices and is then good for a while again. I'm not sure what cycles the compressor on and off on these Jeeps. It is probably a low pressure control on the suction side of the system. If this control won't open at the proper pressure, you will get an icing problem. I'm going to go look under my Liberty's hood to get a better idea.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

We have had a few KJ's at the dealership with a very similar problem and it is the AC compressor clutch needs to be re shimmed as the air gap is too large and the clutch cannot engage properly.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Flynjp

2011 JK Wrangler 

The compressor clutch would be a good place to check for sure. Its hard to say exactly what is going on without having a set of gauges hooked up to the system to give us the operating pressures. How clean is the condenser? The comp could be tripping off because of high head pressure. The comp. could be stopping because of a bad comp. clutch coil. You may have to find somebody with a set of gauges to check out the pressures for you.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
tstream

Problem with A?C in liberty 2002

When the AC is on the air flow stays consistently the same and when the cold air stops comming out the air flow stays the same the air is just not cooled, but it is not hot either.When I turn the AC back on after 2 minutes the air is cold again
post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Flynjp

2011 JK Wrangler 

It is still hard to say for sure without seeing the vehicle in person. It sounds to me like something is making the compressor cut out. What can do this? The high pressure cut-out switch can if the head pressure is getting too high. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT jumper this switch out to see if it is the problem. It is in the system for a reason. I'm not sure, but I am willing to bet that the compressor coil is fed from a relay somewhere. Maybe the relay is bad. Lots of possibilities. The main thing to look at is how the compressor is cycling ( how often, how long). You should find someone to put a set of gauges on it and check the system out.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 AM
AZLIbertyDriver

had exactly the same symptoms with 2002 Jeep Liberty. I live in Scottsdale, AZ, so it was definitely a problem. Replaced the Freon and it has been good for 4 years now. Cheapest place to start. Good luck.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 AM
bbc454

Clutch smoking when I turn on the air

My compressor is making grinding noise when I turn on the air. I had my dad take a look at and he notice when I turn the air on the clutch started to smoke. He instructed me to not run the air until I can get it fixed. Can the clutch be fix or do I need another compressor?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-21-2017, 05:01 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc454 View Post
My compressor is making grinding noise when I turn on the air. I had my dad take a look at and he notice when I turn the air on the clutch started to smoke. He instructed me to not run the air until I can get it fixed. Can the clutch be fix or do I need another compressor?
Clutch won't fix that. Your compressor is locking up from the description, and the clutch is the weakest link. In order to correct the issue, and not spend a fortune chasing parts, you'll need a compressor w/clutch, accumulator, orifice tube, condenser, and then a flush of the a/c lines and evaporator. Install the correct pag oil and have it evacuated and charged correctly. Make sure you're electric fan is working correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in