• 1 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 1 Post By katzklaw
  • 1 Post By ischubert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
katzklaw

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
opinion/advice requested (dead 2002 Liberty)

so i have a 2002 Liberty in mostly good condition but with a completely thrashed 3.7 motor (seized, antifreeze in oil, possible cracked block. whole 9 yards). is it worth it to replace the motor, or possibly swap in a diesel? (assuming purchasing parts and doing as much work ourselves as possible, as opposed to having a shop do it)

there is a slight emotional attachment, but we're willing to cut our losses if it's gonna be a HUGE problem

>pretend there's something witty and amusing here<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Brad426

Garage
Tough to say and it depends on your situation. First never have any emotional attachment to a vehicle. If you do decide to re and re the engine stick with the exact same type of engine. Be cautious because there are differences in 3.7's. Third, only you can decide if it is economically worth repairing. It could turn into a never ending money pit. It's 18 years old Good luck in what ever you decide.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 10:47 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzklaw View Post
there is a slight emotional attachment, but we're willing to cut our losses if it's gonna be a HUGE problem
My trans went out in my 04' KJ. I got $350 from the salvage yard and never looked back. Be glad you have an XJ.

p.s. I had a slight emotional attachment to my wife. I got rid of her too. On a positive note, the garden out back is growing great.
Brad426 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
katzklaw

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
well... by emotional attachment i mean, it's the car we bought when we finally got the insurance money from when some jerk without insurance totaled our classic Ford and nearly killed my husband. if we need to let it go, so be it. i kinda just wanted a bit more of an impartial party who knows Jeeps.

it *did* run well before this, and having the motor blow up at 163k miles was rather a shock. the only problems we had with it was the rear wiper sometimes didn't work, and the clearcoat was peeling a little. most of the other issues people commonly report with the Liberty we had absolutely no problems with. but yeah, i don't want to sink another several thou in this car, just to have other things suddenly start breaking on me :-/

post #5 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Brad426

Garage
In Canada we have cars for kidneys. Where you can donate your dead cars for a donation receipt and get a tax deduction. There might be something like that near you. That's were my 265,000 km Libby is going when it dies. I hope your husband is OK and fully recovered.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
katzklaw

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
hmm. may look into that. the last vehicle i had up and die on me i donated to a charity... but it was in worse condition, and it's passing wasn't quite such a shock.

as for my husband... he's mostly recovered. you couldn't tell he was in an accident to look at him, but he does still have some lingering pain and symptoms. coulda been a lot worse, tho
Brad426 likes this.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2019, 06:52 AM
ischubert

I have several jeep liberty's. I can tell you that if you replace the motor, if you get it from an individual make sure you see the jeep liberty it came out of. be leery of someone telling you that a 3.7 motor from a truck or a different year will fix. it will fit but you have to tear the engine down and change the gearing parts. I do know that the years of the 2002 and 2003 jeep liberty's 3.7 engines will interchange without taking the engine apart. also 2004 is a stand alone engine same for the 2005 (that means they will not interchange unless you tear them down and make changes to pins (gearing parts). the 06 and 07 will interchange without tearing apart. Go directing and get an engine from your dealership and make sure you ask for a discount. they will charge a core charge but you'll get your core charge back when you take the old engine back to them in the same crate, plus you have to buy a new intake when every you blow a head gasket plus if you fix your engine yourself you have to have the heads planed.
katzklaw likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in