OME/Ironman lift with 265/75/16s - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
rocky2780
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170
OME/Ironman lift with 265/75/16s

Is it possible to fit 265/75/16s with an OME (927/948) or Ironman lift kit without rubbing? Planning on mounting them on 16x7" wheels with 4" BS. I know these kits are only 1.5" but from what I've been reading it looks like you actually get more like 2.25"-2.5" of lift from these lifts. I've also seen multiple threads stating that 265/70/16s will fit fine without rubbing with one of these kits installed, but I'm wondering if I can go a bit taller. I know I'll most likely need to regear to 4.10s shortly thereafter since the tires are almost 32" tall, but I want to know if they'll fit with either of these kits. If not, would top plates and/or a clevis lift help to get them to fit? Pound the pinch welds? The guy at the local 4WD shop told me today that you shouldn't go bigger than 235/70/16s with an OME lift which I know is crap since those are the tires I have now on my stock suspension. I figured I'd come here to ask the experts I just don't want to spend close to $1000 only to have major headaches with them.

Thanks, and sorry in advance if this question has already been beat to death on here.


~What happens if you get scared "half to death" twice?~
Recently sold '05 TJ RME, RC 3.25" lift, D44 rear, JKS quick disco's, 33x12.50x15 Grabber AT2's
Recently purchased '05 KJ Renegade (stock for now...)
rocky2780 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,402
You will need alot more lift with those tires.You will need to be over 3.5" of lift to clear 265/75's and will require regearing,pounding over the pinchweld,and some rear wheel well mods to keep from ripping the flares off if you actually take it offroad.I was at 3.75" of lift and took alot of wheel well mods to make those work and get full flex.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
rocky2780
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170
What if I add in some 3/8" top plates and a few 2" conduit nuts at the clevis? From what I've read that could get me close to another 1.25" of lift which when coupled with the close to 2.5" 'true' lift from OME would get me close to 3.75" of lift. Would that work or is it just better to stick with 265/70/16s?

~What happens if you get scared "half to death" twice?~
Recently sold '05 TJ RME, RC 3.25" lift, D44 rear, JKS quick disco's, 33x12.50x15 Grabber AT2's
Recently purchased '05 KJ Renegade (stock for now...)
rocky2780 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
TwoBobsKJ
Registered User
 
TwoBobsKJ's Avatar
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky2780 View Post
What if I add in some 3/8" top plates and a few 2" conduit nuts at the clevis? From what I've read that could get me close to another 1.25" of lift which when coupled with the close to 2.5" 'true' lift from OME would get me close to 3.75" of lift. Would that work or is it just better to stick with 265/70/16s?
Put 245/75-16's on - pound the pinch welds, go with the top plates and 3 conduit nuts on the shock above the clevis - and you might still have rubbing. With the 245's you more than likely will need to go to 4.10's if you're in a hilly area or tow a boat.

The sizes you're talking about require extensive mods - and if you're gonna go that far you might as well do what tjkj2002 did and go SFA.

Bob

SOLD: Highly modded '03 KJ Liberty Renegade
- Current Jeeps '06 XK Hemi Limited - OME HD Springs/Bilstein shocks, AiRaid CAI, Billet Technology catch can, SuperChips tuner, RHR Nav upgrade, 1.5" wheel spacers. '16 Renegade, Removable roof, auto headlamps/wipers, heated seats/steering wheel
TwoBobsKJ is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
rocky2780
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170
After giving it some more thought and talking to Brett today at JBA, I think I'm gonna go with their Ironman lift and possibly add in an extra isolator in hopes of getting enough clearance to fit 265/70/16s. According to Brett at JBA, he believes running this size tire with the lift may rub at full turn or full compression, but adding in an extra isolator and pounding down the pinch welds should fix that. Also, that fact that mr. tommudd ran these tires in the past with this lift and had minimal rubbing makes me think I should be fine. Was hoping to fit 265/75/16s to show up the H3 parked in the garage bay next to me, but oh well. Maybe in the future when I have some extra cash. Thanks for the help!

~What happens if you get scared "half to death" twice?~
Recently sold '05 TJ RME, RC 3.25" lift, D44 rear, JKS quick disco's, 33x12.50x15 Grabber AT2's
Recently purchased '05 KJ Renegade (stock for now...)
rocky2780 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
rocky2780
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170
Oh by the way tommudd, your name was mentioned several times today during my conversation with JBA, all good of course. It's like they know you or something

~What happens if you get scared "half to death" twice?~
Recently sold '05 TJ RME, RC 3.25" lift, D44 rear, JKS quick disco's, 33x12.50x15 Grabber AT2's
Recently purchased '05 KJ Renegade (stock for now...)
rocky2780 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Kilimanjaro,Tanzania
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky2780 View Post
Oh by the way tommudd, your name was mentioned several times today during my conversation with JBA, all good of course. It's like they know you or something

They do know me pretty well

In the future you'll see and hear more even

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
tommudd is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM
02libbyfirstcar
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky2780
After giving it some more thought and talking to Brett today at JBA, I think I'm gonna go with their Ironman lift and possibly add in an extra isolator in hopes of getting enough clearance to fit 265/70/16s. According to Brett at JBA, he believes running this size tire with the lift may rub at full turn or full compression, but adding in an extra isolator and pounding down the pinch welds should fix that. Also, that fact that mr. tommudd ran these tires in the past with this lift and had minimal rubbing makes me think I should be fine. Was hoping to fit 265/75/16s to show up the H3 parked in the garage bay next to me, but oh well. Maybe in the future when I have some extra cash. Thanks for the help!
Let me know when you get yours in. I ordered my OME kit, UCA's and bumpstops on the same day as you. I tried tracking the order but it says not available.
02libbyfirstcar is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Mike1970
Registered User
2007 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Glendale
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky2780 View Post
Is it possible to fit 265/75/16s with an OME (927/948) or Ironman lift kit without rubbing? Planning on mounting them on 16x7" wheels with 4" BS. I know these kits are only 1.5" but from what I've been reading it looks like you actually get more like 2.25"-2.5" of lift from these lifts. I've also seen multiple threads stating that 265/70/16s will fit fine without rubbing with one of these kits installed, but I'm wondering if I can go a bit taller. I know I'll most likely need to regear to 4.10s shortly thereafter since the tires are almost 32" tall, but I want to know if they'll fit with either of these kits. If not, would top plates and/or a clevis lift help to get them to fit? Pound the pinch welds? The guy at the local 4WD shop told me today that you shouldn't go bigger than 235/70/16s with an OME lift which I know is crap since those are the tires I have now on my stock suspension. I figured I'd come here to ask the experts I just don't want to spend close to $1000 only to have major headaches with them.

Thanks, and sorry in advance if this question has already been beat to death on here.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but what tire size did you end up going with and what mods did it require to fit them?
Mike1970 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 AM
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Kilimanjaro,Tanzania
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1970 View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but what tire size did you end up going with and what mods did it require to fit them?
Many many posts on what sizes of lifts and sizes of tires
Just remember if going over 3 inches of lift you are also going to need www.jeepinbyal.com upper control arms,
then if going over 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s you'll need to regear
evern with those sizes regearing helps a LOT.
For 265-75-16s 4 inches of lift, 4.10 geras, JBA UCAs, rear tri link extender etc is needed to work right
3 inches of lift with pinch welds pounded over 245-70-16s or 245-75-16s

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
tommudd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome